Author Topic: anybody running first gen bed on second gen truck?  (Read 2458 times)

montanatoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
anybody running first gen bed on second gen truck?
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
Ive looked for pics and searched but cant find any is it possible?  Any pics would be great

thanks
toyotas are like tonka trucks of old built to beat the hell out of

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
jimbo has one.  don't know what he had to do, worst case you might have to move some bed mounts :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you need to unbolt the front mounts from the bed or remove the frame mounted mounts... the other 6 bolt on directly. my bed is bobbed, and i didnt care to mess with the fronts, so i only have 4 total... works just fine... check out the pics in my build thread
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

montanatoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the the info not really sure i like it will have to check yours out as ya go.  I have a extra bed from a 1st gen laying around so i thought i might change my flatbed but i think for now ill stay with it.
toyotas are like tonka trucks of old built to beat the hell out of

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
the body lines dont line up either... i am planning a 1.5-1.75" bodylift for the bed, once it gets that height, the lines will line up

i would be running 6 mounts but my bed is bobbed, so i lost the 2 rearmost mounts

the front one near the cab arent much of a deal really though.... the thing is that the bed itself had the mount that went to the frame, and the frame on the later trucks, have the mount that go to the bed....

here is a pic of mine right now, the bed is actually about .75" lifted in the pic

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
here is a more clear pic, this is the same bed as above, but on my 85 2wd (truck had a 3" bl)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
it looks like it would line up near perfect with a 1" bod lift on the bed only. :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
it looks like it would line up near perfect with a 1" bod lift on the bed only. :dunno:

1" or 1.5" .  I :dunno:  There is a guy on pirate that did it, and he posted up all the specs to get everything to line up. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Not to be critical because it seems to look fine but you want to replace a rust prone bed with an even more rust prone bed????   I would find a 3rd gen bed they had less rust issues.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Big Pap Dog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Feb '06
  • A fool and his money are soon parted.
    • View Profile
I don't think you really need a body lift.  Here is mine, 1st gen with 2nd gen bed no body lift.  As Jim said, the main difference is the front 2 mounts.