Author Topic: Chevy Dana 44 rebuild help  (Read 3138 times)

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
Chevy Dana 44 rebuild help
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »
Anybody out there know of a good website or have a link to a good writeup on a rebuild for a front Chevy Dana 44 axle?

TIA
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Chevy Dana 44 rebuild help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:34 AM »
what year is the axle because gm used the 10 bolt (same outers differant carrier) from 79+. some forums to check out:
www.dieselplace.com in the 6.2L section
www. chevyk5blazer.com
www.coloradok5.com
www.fullsizechevy.com

pretty simple and easy to do, you will need the hub socket. a haynes manual is very straight foreward for this task, detailed enough for almost anybody to do it.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

DeadlyPeace [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:01 AM »
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out and see what I can find.

My main thing is tearing down the hubs to get to the spindles. I know they're a lot different then the Toyota hubs that I'm use to. Any good tips/tricks to pulling them?

Not sure on the year, but I'm guessing it's an earier 70's. The 10 bolt has a round or ovalish cover right?
Mine is more like this

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »
if thats the year range then its probably the dana 44. very simple to tear down and rebuild, and i do mean EXTREMELY SIMPLE AND QUICK compared to the toyota hubs. what hubs do you have the warn premium manual hubs? if so its about 5 steps to tear it down. you will need an SAE allen wrench (cant remember the size), hub socket with torque wrench, flatblade screwdriver, and a phillips screwdriver if i remember right. snap ring pliars as well.

unbolt the 6 screws holding the cap on (allen wrench), pull it off (might need to tap it with a hammer) the spring will come with it. use the snap ring pliers to pull the snap ring off the end of the stub shaft. on the inside edge of the hub roughly 1/4-1/2" into it there is a large ring that you will need to pop out, this is what the flatblade screwdriver is for (this is the most annoying and hardest part of the entire hub). once you get that out, use the hub socket to remove the outer nut, then pull off the washer followed by loosening/removing the inner nut. make sure the brake caliper is off and pull the hub/rotor assembly out. thats it to dissasymble, the outer bearing will fall out from inside the hub and the inner bearing will fall out once you pull the seal off (if the axle shaft didnt pull it off while removing the assembly).

difficult? about as complicated as changing spark plugs. if you have the auto locking hubs its a little bit differant (i've never done it). let me know if you have anymore chevy/gmc questions cause thats what i'm really familiar with (check signature link).

USAF EOD tech

DeadlyPeace [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
Great, I already have all the tools I need and will probably tear it down some time today or tomorrow.

Thanks again Red.

DeadlyPeace [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:48:58 PM »
Got it all done and it definitely a lot less complexed then the Toyota hub. A lot less of a mess too.

on the inside edge of the hub roughly 1/4-1/2" into it there is a large ring that you will need to pop out, this is what the flatblade screwdriver is for (this is the most annoying and hardest part of the entire hub).
Didn't have a problem with the ring. What I did was used a really small flat blade screwdriver to pry one of the ends out of the slot then used another one to pull it towards the outside of the hub and the rest of the ring just seem to follow.

Did forget to you what the torque spec was for the hub nuts. I just have them snug a little past hand tight right now.

Thank again for the help.

This was the main reason for pulling the hubs. I noticed a little play in the axle u-joints and figured it was time to replace them.
BTW are they suppose to have bearings in them or just metal dust? To the left of the joint cap is a small pile of greased metal dust which is all I found in all the caps. There was no signs or even a chunk of a bearing to be seen. I'd say they were toast.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
bearings or metal dust? :rofl: geez you neglected those ujoints! told ya it was simple/easy, that ring usually comes pretty easy but sometimes the ring will refuse to come out without a 2nd screwdriver and a little patience.

torque spec is not very high, roughly 25ft/lbs or something like that. basicly check the hub in a little while to see if there is any play, chances are they're wont be.

USAF EOD tech