Author Topic: Need Help with R151F Repair (beware 56k)  (Read 5431 times)

mudrunner88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road.Com Forums
Need Help with R151F Repair (beware 56k)
« on: Apr 16, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
I scored a R151F for $40 broken.  Looks like just a shifter fork is broken, but I have some mystery parts.

here is the link to the entire thread http://forums.off-road.com/toyota-suvs-trucks/228782-i-know-i-scored-56k-beware.html

Here is where I stand currently:
Well, here is what the guts look like of an R151f.  I found some scraps inside, and it turns out to be the inner side of a shift fork.  I don't have the r151f repair FSM (HINT!), but I think it's the 1st-2nd gear Shift Fork #1.

Which would explain why he lost 1st and 2nd, and it caused the gears to slide uncontrollable on the shaft which is why he may have not found reverse.

So on with the photos:

remains of the shift fork

These parts were already removed and I need to know where they go.  I know the bearing and spring with the cap go together.  But which order?
Does the little tiny washer go on top of the spring between the bearing?

trying to figure out what these are, one of them was cracked and I had to find the pieces.

Broken Shift fork (it's broke on the inside and pretty sharp if you reach in there)

You can see on the left inside the fork has some material and to the right it's missing.

All Broken down

Not much to it, I think a shift fork is about $40 but I need to know what the 3 little pieces are and can I order new ones since 1 is broken.  I guess it's time to call Marlin or cross post on their forum.
I also think somebody may have rebuilt the tranny, it had red RTV on both sides of the intermediate plate.  The gears and bearings look new also, but I'm not sure.

Doesn't look like it needs much, but I would probably invest in a rebuild kit anyways.  It will probably sit for awhile now, gotta save up for the project.
1985 4Runner, EFI, 36" Swampers, Zuk Installed 5.29's, Detroit E-Z.
(7MGTE, R151F both in the works for a long time)
Administrator http://forums.off-road.com/toyota-suvs-trucks/

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with R151F Repair (beware 56k)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »
of those 3 parts you got there.. they are shifting keys. bet they go under the shift collar that has the reverse gear. and the ball, plug and spring are detents for the shift shaft.. could tell you more but i left my r150f book at home.

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
This picture shows the slider under the shift fork moved when the fork broke and the dogs fell out. The square thingies are the shift dogs that keep the slide ring in place.

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

mudrunner88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road.Com Forums
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
Should I just get a new shift fork, some new dogs, a new spring and just put it all back together?
Would it be better to get the whole overhaul kit and go to town on it...Everything inside here looks pretty new, and it looks like it was open before since the intermediate plate had RTV on both sides.  I'm wondering if somebody else already rebuilt it before the shift fork was broke.

How many shift dogs are their total?  Was it only those three, or do I need to look around more and find the rest...

Anybody got the FSM for this tranny?  I got the '85 one, and I got a hard copy of the '88 one (is this the same as r150f in the book?)

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
There were only Three Keyways(shift dogs) under the shift collar. Underneath the 4 hex caps on the intermediate plate in the 7th pic down, are(from outside-in)hex cap, then spring, then that ball bearing lookin deal rides on the shift forks to provide detent when shifting. Those are the bearing things from your second pic. And from your last pic, I'm thinken your gonna need a whole new 1-2 syncro assembly. the hub collar isn't even there anymore, and i don't see the dog teeth for the no.1 syncro. You should rebuild the whole thing. All that carnage don't look right. :twocents:

mudrunner88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road.Com Forums
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
Good, so i apparently found all three keys (shift dogs) even the broken piece, that's a plus!  Thaks for the proper order of the spring and bearing...I was pretty sure that was it but never took it apart myself since the last owner got their hands on it first.

Just trying to figure out what that little tiny washer is now.  It was found with the rest of the hardware the last owner had for me.  This was when only the rear housing was removed.

The "hub collar" you are refering to is the gear with the groove it in right?  Then the shift collar goes over it...

Well the gear with the little groove, or channel in it simply slid backwards towards the intermediate plate when the shift fork/collar broke.

So I was wondering if I put in new keys, can I slide the hub collar back up over the synchros and put the new shift collar on it?

I thoroughly inspected all the pieces and there is no damage to any of the bearings, gears, shafts etc.  The synchros didn't bend or anything when that gear slid backwards, it all looks good except the three keys/shift dogs, and the broken fork.  But the question is, can I put the keys in and slide the gear back over it all with out full disassembly.

I think I will try this first, and then if it doesn't work out, I will do a full rebuild.  If it does work, I will run it until it needs a rebuild.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »
if you have the 88 r150f book it,s all you need. they are the same except for a different ratio 1st gear. that also means the counter gear is diffrent for first gear too. I've got a r151f,r150f and a r150 apart to make 1 transmission work. the only other thing i can think of thats diffrent is the rear shift lever shaft  in the transfer adapter. one word of warning. the gears on these transmissions are very easy to chip if you use something hard to pull or press them on. did you get the r151f t case and adapter?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2008, 06:05:51 AM »
man i would have liked to of seen what my tranny looked like inside. i gave it away to a tranny shop to rebuild.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

mudrunner88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road.Com Forums
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
did you get the r151f t case and adapter?
Yes, I have the t-case and everything...It's in TERIFFIC shape, just missing two of the mounting bolts, but I got spares kicking around somewhere.
I have another T-case from a W-56 that I might use to make it dual somewhere down the line.  It's a different spline though right?
Also the R151F is forward shifting t-case, so what would I need for the dual?
I think: I can keep forward shift, I need the adapter, and then need the 151f t-case input gear with the 23 splines right?  Then put it all together.

Anyways, I called and asked about getting some keys, and a shift fork.  I was told Sorry, that they can't sell those parts.  So after talking for a bit about advice, I thank the tech and found some parts online at http://www.drivetrain.com/toyotar151rwd.html they don't list this page on their homepage...I gave it a shot in the dark when I found the toyotar150rwd link...and I just happened to plug in "151" to the web address...

The fork was $39.60, the key kit was $7ish, and I got a used detent spring $4.00

Not bad...So for now I will put it all back together.  Somewhere down the line I will rebuild the whole thing.  Plan to upgrade the retainer and thrust washer.  Too many projects going on right now!

Thanks for all the advice.
So all the clearances and stuff is the same as well?  If that's the case I'm all set on the FSM I will use the one from my old '88

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2008, 05:34:13 AM »
yeah i think your set with the 88 r150f fsm. I'm using a 93 r150f fsm. even when i went to Toyota and ordered parts for an 87 r151f, the Toyota drawing included the r150f as the same part. my shift forks were blown up too. seems to be a weak point on the r series tranny. i compared them to the r150 set and it looks like they would interchange. I'm doing a slow rebuild over in the projects section. as money, time and parts come in. when i get done with the tranny, I'll go through the transfer case and see what it needs.

mudrunner88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road.Com Forums
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2008, 07:19:09 AM »
When I was on the phone with marlin's the tech told me the R150 fork is different than the R151 1-2 fork.  You might just want to check into it...They also said that the forks are the common breaking point because of the retainer letting the main shaft walk just enough for it to snap a fork.  Upgrade the retainer with the aftermarket one they make, and do the thrust bearing and it shouldn't happen again was what I was told.

I will check out your thread, gonna be a while for me as well...Gotta swap motors in the car before i can park and work on the truck all the time.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
I've got both r151 & r150 forks, so I'll check it out. the r150f fork was badly worn too.  I'm driving with an l52 tranny right now and my plan is to rebuild the r151/150f and install it over a weekend. and there's other parts and mods to make it all work.

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »
I will not agree on using an R150 FSM on an R151. But i don't know for sure if they are different. There are too many selective fit washers and selective fit snap rings.
-That little washer you asked about in the second pic, i think might just go between the detent spring and the cap. just a educated guess tho

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »
I have a r151f with the same problem, havent torn it down yet but the previous owner said no 1-2 but 3-4-5 was just fine. I can get the trans to go into all 5 gears shifting it, but 1-2 and r dont engage. (shifter spins around 360 degrees as well, doesnt make it any easier) but if I spin the input shaft it only wants to spin in one direction. Feels like its locked solid the other direction. definately needs new bearings too, but for $50 with t case and bell housing couldnt go wrong. think its junk?
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:42:37 AM »
I have a r151f with the same problem, havent torn it down yet but the previous owner said no 1-2 but 3-4-5 was just fine. I can get the trans to go into all 5 gears shifting it, but 1-2 and r dont engage. (shifter spins around 360 degrees as well, doesnt make it any easier) but if I spin the input shaft it only wants to spin in one direction. Feels like its locked solid the other direction. definately needs new bearings too, but for $50 with t case and bell housing couldnt go wrong. think its junk?

worth rebuilding possibly. :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
Holy old thread batman.  Your trans totally needs rebuilt.