Author Topic: U-Bolt vs. Pinion Angle  (Read 2328 times)

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
U-Bolt vs. Pinion Angle
« on: Apr 11, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »

Howdy, I am Running Rancho 44044s with 1.5'' lift shackles with a Marlin U-Bolt flip kit and I'm trying to put the pinion angle as high as possible because it is a low pinion . The problem I am running in to is as the pinion angle is raised, the diff housing pushes the U-bolts forward so they will not fit into the holes in the spring pads. For a previous pinion adjustment, I had to grind out the center hole of the spring pad about 1/2" to allow it to slide forward. How do I get the required pinion angle without the spring pad interfering with the u-bolts and the center pin?  Does anybody have experience with this same problem?
Here is a picture to help understand what I'm working with:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
Re: U-Bolt vs. Pinion Angle
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2008, 02:10:34 AM »
Image shack is blocked at work, so I can't tell which axle it is.  I'm guessing it's the front, because typically, 44044's are used in the front, so if you are... you can't change pinion angle unless you cut your knuckles off and reweld them on becaues of your caster angles.  A high pinion 3rd is a more practical solution.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
You will have to deal with the caster angle if you rotate your pinion up.
I was able to put a bend in the u-bolts between the perch and the housing. This helped line everything up. It does make it a little hard to get the u-bolts on though.

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »
 I am in the process of a cut and turn. I'm 20 and in paramedic school, so dropping funds on an fj-80 high pinion is out of the question for now, but that would be sick. Maybe some of you have fabbed a spring pad with the U-bolt holes on the casing or inboard side drilled eccentrically so the U-bolt will just slide right through. Sometimes by just thinking about things you come up with answers to your own question. I need to do this quickly because I lives in the city of :gay: and they like to complain about old leaking broken down trucks with no front axles in them degrading the sale prices of their f*cking houses! Dont wanna get caught with a fine from the kommies. :shhh:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
I usually just put a slight bend in the offending U-bolt and open up the front hole just a bit to get the fit I want.  I then put a thick flat washer on the modified hole and tack it in place to prevent movement.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

How are you bending your U-bolts, heating them would be foolish. Also, my pinion angle is pretty drastic at 21 degrees, I am worried the flat area on the spring pad will run out because of how much I need to offset my holes. If this is the case, I can either pound the forward blade on the spring pad down and weld another blade on after I am through drilling the holes or fab up my own spring pads. Or wait, I'll just drop cash on an fj80 high pinion, or even better, I will just have Currie build me a high pinion 9'' and then I'll  buy a new Tundra just to pull the axle out, then give it to Currie and have them drop in 5.29s plus a chrome plating for the casing. Then I will have a latte at Starbucks. :joke:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »
I use a big vise and a cheater pipe to do the bends.  Do a mock up with a cardboard copy of the spring plate and a piece of wire or copper tubing to mimic the U-bolt.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »

I'm fabbing up a U-bolt eliminator for the pumpkin side, I will post pics when I'm done. Should of thought about this before hand. :clap2:

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
The big question is why are you building a monster truck?  If you are to the point that you need to cut and turn the axle to allow for the angle of your front springs something is wrong.  Another thing to consider is the hi steer is getting really close to the top leaf when you rotate the pinion up as you are doing.

Not trying to be a prick just trying to understand the need for that much lift...
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??