Author Topic: Want AC in my runner any one ever converted to 134a...?  (Read 4284 times)

LAGEN WAGON

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
Want AC in my runner any one ever converted to 134a...?
« on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has ever converted a 1st gen runners AC system to 134a with success? Any inputs would be appreciated
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
i believe all you should have to change is the filter/dryer...
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
To get the efficiency back (R12 vs R134a) you need to changed the condenser from the stock serpentine design to a parrallel flow design
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So is it worth convertng or should I just hunt down some R-12
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
If all the components are in good shape, and it was just low on R12 (no leaks, 5 years or more), you're better off just adding the R12.

If any components need replaced, convert.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Well the deal is the previous owner of my 4 runner took the compressor and condenser off the truck for whatever reason. I have got a compressor and condenser off a good working 4 runner ac system that was parted out. I guess I'm looking for some inputs on a cost effective way to go from here. Suggestions? And can I even get r-12 in California from a AC servicing shop?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Yes you can still get R12 from an A/C shop here in CA, but expect to pay over $100/pnd and you will need at least 2lbs.  10yrs ago the price/lb was $80 when I converted my '90 to R134, so it may be more than $100/lb today.  I had my low system evacuated and then filled it w/r134 oil and coolant.  I was never that impressed w/the R134, it wouldn't drop the temps much below the high '80's and on 105+ days it was basically useless.  My '90 is black so the straight conversion may work better in a lighter colored rig.

In early Spring 2005 after my A/C comp started making noise on start-up, I searched for an alternative product and came across product called Maxi-fridge a hydrocarbon(propane) based refrigerant.  Here is a link http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=892518&Forum=&Words=maxi-frig&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=892518&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=2560&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=w&bodyprev=#Post892518 to a post on 4x4wire about my testing of the two.  It has been 3yrs now and I am still on the original 2 cans and the same comp, which hasn't made any noise since replacing the R134 w/the Maxi-frig, and the truck doesn't slow down when I hit the A/C button anymore either.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Here is the link to http://www.maxifrig.com/ the Max-frig web site, and another one to http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm
I had to buy a case of 24 cans of it, for $130, and have about 18 cans left(filled some friends systems for them), if you want some let me know.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info much appreciated. I might hit you up on your offer let me read up and get back to you. :beer:

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
i had my 1st gen runner converted and it worked great. changed the dryer, condenser and something else, :dunno: but left the compresser. i have also converted my 85 to 134-a, but the pick up had everything replaced when it was converted. i live in houston where a/c is a must!
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
i've heard that all you have to do is flush the system with R134 and put new inlets or something like that. at least thats what i heard about older fords.
lets not and say we did.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
I highly suggest it as it's also a major selling point if you ever decide to get rid of it.  And the new stuff costs $4 a pound last I checked a couple of years ago. 

Stabs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Screw converting it or buying R12 at inflated prices. Find someone that supplies FREEZE 12. I put some in my old infiniti and it blew 37*. It's awesome :pokinit:!

http://www.freeze12.com/

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
I am not sure if you still need a license or not, but you did a few years ago when I tried to buy it, that is why I ended up w/the Maxifrig instead.

dropthattaco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since Feb '08
  • Deep in thought.
    • View Profile
Personally, i would be weary of any hydrocarbon based refrigerant. It is flammable. I have geard of some pretty bad fires happening when things go bad in those systems. I say go with r-134a or freeze 12.  :twocents:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
His failure/fire was caused by human error, not that of the hydrocarbon based refrigerant.  You have a higher chance of engine fire being caused from leaking injectors/carb, or oil onto the exhaust manifold than from the amount of gas in the refrigerant in the A/C system.

I will take my chances w/the slim chance of fire, over the higher chance of testicular cancer from a leaking R134 system. 

Hydrocarbons have long been used as a refrigerant, if the risk of fire was so high that it was dangerous to use it, it would not still be in use.

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the ideas....I think I will try to get some freeze 12 and hopefully I wont need a licence. If that is the case I will try some maxi cool...... have read a lot of reviews and it seems safe as long as you dont over charge the system and are not sporting any leaks in the system.

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
i have heard of the propane based refreigerant but never tried it, but i have converted a couple r-12 chevy compressors to R134a. orileys actually sells a conversion kit for the cheby. dont know about a toy though. but when it was converted it never blew cold enough. like the guy from houston said, it is a must, im about 2 hrs north of houston. but my 91 is blowing cold on the stock charge so im pretty happy about that.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
........and are not sporting any leaks in the system.

The Maxifrig stuff comes w/die in it so if you have a leak, you can easily ID it.

84Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the ideas....I think I will try to get some freeze 12 and hopefully I wont need a licence. If that is the case I will try some maxi cool...... have read a lot of reviews and it seems safe as long as you dont over charge the system and are not sporting any leaks in the system.

Any updates on what you used and how well it worked?

buckeye1437

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
i have my a/c  licence if you need some hit me up i live in napa hydrocarbon based refrigerant is made for houses  not cars  that move around hits bumps that will cause leaks houses never leak  so it is safe

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok the update is I charged up my system and have been running Freeze 12  since the middle of June. I will honestly say my 4 runners A/C works way better than my new Tacoma A/C system. I replaced all the o-rings in the system and the filter dryer.....I'm impressed with the results.

Any updates on what you used and how well it worked?