Author Topic: 6.5:1 transfer case gear install help needed FRESNO AREA  (Read 4788 times)

GreyZuk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
6.5:1 transfer case gear install help needed FRESNO AREA
« on: Apr 05, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
Hey guys I know I have talked with several guys from the Fresno are with a lot of technical experience. Anyway I just got the 6.5:1 transfer case gears. Is there anyonewith experience in the Fresno area that would donate a little time to help me install them? I don't have much money right now but could maybe offer $50 plus free pizza and beer after we're done? I'm very capable with tools and have everything needed to do the job I would just prefer to have  someone who's gone down this road give me a hand and advice.

Josh

JoshCushin@aol.com

ryan_m

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Just print off directions on trail gear. There step by step so you cant screw up. I did them my self and this is the first car ive worked on, there super easy to install. YOU CAN DO IT!
WANTED stock front cj springs in the bay area

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Where did you purchase the gears from?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

GreyZuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
gears are done. t-case back in the sami. I got them from Sean at Lowrangeoffroad, but they are Trail-Gear

WillyZ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
So what's your opinion with the new gears? I'm considering the same kit for mine and looking for some feedback. what type of wheeling do you do etc.

GreyZuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I really wish I could tell ya. I am still finishing up all the details of mine My specs are
1.3 stock engine
6.5 t-case
4.10 diffs
34" super swamper Boggers
YJ springs w/ missing links up front and
toyota axles
I just finished rebuilding my knuckles and installing my high steer. I also bought new brake lines. I should be done the week after July 7th (payday) I just need to get new calipers and a rat adapter for my driveline.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i wnat a sammi.... haha, 33s would be enough for a sammi though....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

WillyZ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
nice rig, someday i want Toy Axles, for now i have 1.3, stock axles, 31's and have the 6:5:1 on the way. just wondering what I'll gain. not a daily driver, street legal, and cannot use 5th as of now.

anyone with feed back wanna drop in? thanks.

GreyZuk [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I saw a guy at the hammers last November with a 1.3, 31's and 6.5 t-case get out and let his sammi idle up a 40* sand hill, then throw it in high gear and do 50 across the dry lake bed. I think doing 70 may put your rpm's a little high, but maybe still manageable.

WillyZ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Well I got my new 6.5.1 T-cse gears in with a new heavy duty clutch from petroworks and spidertrax T-case arms, again I'm on stock axles, 1.3, 31's and a spoa kit. So a few of us ( 2 Zuk's, 2 Rubicon's ) went to Big Bear this past Saturday and had a great time. I needed to trim two sides of the case body ( no big deal ) anyway I drove it to Big Bear and the road manners for me was so much better than before. I could never use 5th before but now I was able too and keep up with traffic on the flats I loss a little speed on some over passes and motored up the Mountain ( not breaking speed records ). I was able to hit 65-75mph in 5th at 3500-4100 rpms. ( not bad for me since these little motors have no torque but are okay revving a little ) our first trail was "gold mountain"? ( our first time there ) Wow I was very happy with the new gearing I had no problem going up the two ( that I remember ) difficult sections with ease. there was a fairly stock Jeep broke down on the first hard obstacle due to a ground wire separating from flexing. anyway really enjoyed the trail. ( would never have made that run on stock clutch or gearing ).
Our second run was John Bull ( reminded me of the 91fwy! ) since there were closures on the mountain it was more noticeable traffic. well two rigs did not help that were broke down, one Fj with some sort of internal problem ( strapped off the trail ) and on the more difficult rock area ( think known  as the water fall ) a white bronco ( oj special ) stuck with a busted steering system. Getting around that one was a little tight. So anyway back to my thoughts of the gear set. I'm very happy with the road manners and even happier for my trail capabilities now. this is by far my best investment. I think I seriously would not have been happy with any other gear set for my case since this set hit it on the nose for me. I can hear a little whine in the case, with my safari doors on and on the fwy I barley even notice it, if I had my regular doors on with the top on I'm sure I would be able to hear it more....but don't think it would be annoying, on the trail I was in 4 low and in 4th or 5th gear and I could hear the gears more ( not too extream though ) this was more noticeable than being on the fwy. hope you got a better idea of what I'm trying to explain. Any hoot just my .02 worth of feed back.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008, 02:32:36 PM by WillyZ »