Author Topic: San Diego Town Meeting Brings Out Offroaders  (Read 1392 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
San Diego Town Meeting Brings Out Offroaders
« on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:35:32 AM »
Sooner or later the offroad community will be pushed into a corner and will lash out. Currently we are being pushed into smaller and smaller areas and soon there will not be enough room for us to play in without running into each other. With the current push by both the Marines and Army to take over public recreation areas I think we may be in that corner. Both Dumount Dunes and Johnson Valley face closures and we may be finally realizing that if we don't stand up and say no more.

It's bad enough having to deal with conservationalists trying to lock us out, but with the military, mining, energy and all the other issues we face soon there will be nowhere for us to get away, relax and just unwind. I know for a fact that Co-Pilot has learned more about nature and respects the enviroment more by being out in nature rather than by reading about it in some text book. In fact yes he reads a lot about these things but it is due to being exposed to nature rather than just reading about it.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080322-1916-bn22offroad.html
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Off-road enthusiasts air concerns to Rep. Hunter
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Town Meeting Brings Out Offroaders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »
I love the user comments.   :headshake:  These people don't realise that when they close an area it isn't just closed to us, it is closed to hunters, fisherman, mountain bike riders, sometimes even equestrian.  How many of these so called environmentalists have actually hiked or would hike our OHV areas if they were closed to vehicles.  Damn few would be my guess.

I was actually at that meeting.  Were YOU?  We have to show up, write letters, make our voice heard; we have to FIGHT to keep our OHV areas open.  Press coverage like this article will bring both good and bad attention, but any attention is better than having lands closed without so much as a peep from OHV enthusiasts.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: San Diego Town Meeting Brings Out Offroaders
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
Sadly, no I could not attend but my pen reaches far and wide. My elected officials probably know me by name and have never met me. I think these town meetings are great to air things out but that's just a one time deal. We need to constantly inform them that we exist and we exist in great numbers. The best way to do this is through every correspondence method available to us.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you