Author Topic: Steering Arms and Hydro Assist... Whats going on???  (Read 1801 times)

88stewy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Steering Arms and Hydro Assist... Whats going on???
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:48:28 PM »
I know the hydro assist ram issue has been mostly all covered but I have a few questions / thoughts and would like some feed back and ideas from the guys who have done this mod.  I did not find the answers I want in the other threads on this board.

I have a 1st generation S-10 Blazer and use a Toy front axle and steering parts.  Gear box, drag links, tie rod, high steer arms and use M.C. front springs.  Its ALL Toyota in the front, 110% of it!  Nothing has been "custom built, its all over the counter after market stuff!

This weekend I went to weld on the brackets and mount the ram on the front axle (gear box is allready tapped) and was very surprised.  The ram I got has a working range of 6 inches.  With my steering stops adjusted correctly, my tie rod only has a 4.5 working range.  Is this normal for all Toy axles???  My buddy has a full width Dana 44 under his YJ and says his working range is 6 inches.  He has high steer arms as well.  4.5 doesn't seem like much to me...  would it be more if I used some other type of after market high steer arm?  (I currently use Sky Manufacturing arms)  I would need to shim my ram a 1.5 inches to make it compatible as I do not want my steering stops trying to stop my ram, I want the ram to simply run out of range.  Thats a lot to shim it isn't it? Anybody agree or disagree?  Enough to where I think I should probably look at a different ram.  Thoughts?  Also what is everyone using to keep there tie rod from turning when the ram is pushing / pulling on it?  Obviously the tie rod ends limit its turning somewhat due to its working range and I do not like the idea of just turning one side the opposite way then your using the tie rod in a way it was not designed for and I can see where this again would make it fail / wear out faster.  Thoughts?, what is everyone else running / using with this mod and have any of you ran into these problems?

Thanks for your feed back.

You only get one chance at this life, be a participant not a spectator.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
You have sky's short arms....  They are made to let you put the axle farther forward than stock without moving the steering box so far forward.  Don't worry about it too much, you can shim the ram to not allow so much travel if you'd like or just not turn the wheel so hard when you run out of steering throw. 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
what WT said.  the easiest way to fix it is getting longer steering arms but that is more money. and you want the ram parallel with the tie rod to help stop the tie rod from twisting.  if that doesn't help then you can twist the tie rod ends opposite of each other and tighten them down.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
dont worry about it, i have the same setup as you

88stewy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
dont worry about it, i have the same setup as you

Ok, did you shim your ram??? What did you use? Have you had any troubles with it?  Perform flawlessly and for how long?

Thanks for the feed back.
You only get one chance at this life, be a participant not a spectator.