Author Topic: What's your thoughts on Inchworm?  (Read 5233 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
What's your thoughts on Inchworm?
« on: Mar 17, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
As some of you know I have had two bearing (needle bearing that the low speed gear rides on) failures in my front transfer case, the 1st was about 1,600 miles after the initial build using the original bearing and the second was about 2,300 miles after the rebuild using a new Marlin Crawler bearing.  After two professional rebuilds nothing has been identified as a specific problem which means that we don't know what happened.  I'm starting to worry that I am the owner of the only Marlin Crawler adapter in captivity with an issue, nothing else makes sense.  Marlin Crawler has covered parts under warranty but I'm still concerned for the future.

Two weeks from Saturday I am heading to Moab from Washington State and if I assume an approximately same length of life for the bearing I'll have trouble about half way there.  Last Friday I tried to order a new front crawl box to carry as a spare, but the waiting list is over 30 currently so it wasn't possible.  I just called to order another adapter, because if it fails again I want to eliminate the adapter from being the problem, and they are out of 21-spline units.

I don't want to purchase, or run, a competitors product because it isn't fair to them for me to purchase only as a spare in hopes of returning it after the trip.  I was very open with MCI about my intent stating that I was willing to cover all shipping charges.  I have considered Inchworm as an option, but am sold on the Marlin product.

The only other option would be to purchase all the bearings and coupler that have been damaged in the past and reuse the adapter, but I have little confidence in my specific unit.  I don't understand how it can be assembled by gotrocks/friend and a professional shop and have identical failures without explaination, when so many average mechanics have success, and not have an adapter issue.

What should I do.  I really don't want to lose half of my vacation doing repairs.

:dunno:
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008, 08:49:31 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Junkyard and carry a spare. :twocents:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Jon if i was closer i would  loan  you my crawler box  for the trip, 

it does sound to me  that  your particular adapter  is "off"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Junkyard and carry a spare. :twocents:

If the adapter is the issue then I need another adapter.  The parts in the front case outside of the bearings and coupler have always been fine.  I'm not sure my new drivelines will work If I installed it in the single case configuration.  Can't seem to win on this one.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What's your thoughts on Inchworm?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
What's the general thought on Inchworm adapters/front cases?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
What's the general thought on Inchworm adapters/front cases?

inchworm is a good company...

i have heard their design isnt as strong as the MC unit though... osemthing to do with the input shaft
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »
I can't imagine breaking either one with my style of wheeling, my rear 4.70 case is a marlin crawler unit so I'm covered where the high torque is applied.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
Is there anything in the adapter design and allows oil to flow forward through the coupler to feed the low speed needle bearing?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »
a local friend of mine ordered  some  stuff  from Inchworm,  when he opened  the box  almost everything in there said trailgear  :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:23:32 AM »
a local friend of mine ordered  some  stuff  from Inchworm,  when he opened  the box  almost everything in there said trailgear  :headshake:

:yikes:

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
I too have had a needle bearing go out in my adapter (Billet MC08-R10) and marlin took care of me. He had no idea what happened. and I have a buddy that it happended to him also. (Billet MC08-R10), and Marlin took care of him also and he was told it was lack of lubrication. we don't understand that prediction as we both were running redline in the T-cases. But there is probably another 10+ locals that I know that have never had any issues...

Personally I don't like how the Inchworm boxes are assemblied, you have to bolt them together one piece at a time to the Tranny since the bolts are internal and don't use studs like AA or Marlin were you can assemble the crawl box on the work bench and bolt it to the tranny as a unit.

If Marlin is out of stock and you can't wait - then I'd suggest AA. OR 23 spline... Thats what I run.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
A friend of mine had these exact issues, turns out an oil passage was blocked and no lube was getting to the rear case. He says it was the gasket that didn't get properly drilled. Don't know if this may be your problem.

Another friend of mine put an Inchworm in his 91 V6 Extracab and loves it. It is his daily driver and has had no issues at all.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »

Inchworm does sell some TG parts, along with Longfield and FROR.  The t-case isn't TG however.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »
A friend of mine had these exact issues, turns out an oil passage was blocked and no lube was getting to the rear case. He says it was the gasket that didn't get properly drilled. Don't know if this may be your problem.

The rear case has had no issues, just the front case.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »
I too have had a needle bearing go out in my adapter (Billet MC08-R10) and marlin took care of me. He had no idea what happened. and I have a buddy that it happended to him also. (Billet MC08-R10), and Marlin took care of him also and he was told it was lack of lubrication. we don't understand that prediction as we both were running redline in the T-cases. But there is probably another 10+ locals that I know that have never had any issues...

Personally I don't like how the Inchworm boxes are assemblied, you have to bolt them together one piece at a time to the Tranny since the bolts are internal and don't use studs like AA or Marlin were you can assemble the crawl box on the work bench and bolt it to the tranny as a unit.

If Marlin is out of stock and you can't wait - then I'd suggest AA. OR 23 spline... Thats what I run.
You're not making me feel real good about my adapter right now Rick. :greengrin:

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »
I havent had any problems with my inchworm dual cases besides jim said that if theres a problem he will fix it no questions asked
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon