Author Topic: There May Still Be Bodies In Panamint At Barker Ranch  (Read 2226 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
There May Still Be Bodies In Panamint At Barker Ranch
« on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
Every year we trek to the Panamint Mountains to attend a Cal4Wheel event Panamint Valley Days. It is the home to dozens of mines and some great wheeling but it has an interesting past that doesn't have anything to do with either. It was also the hideout of Charles Manson and his followers, it is also rumoured that those that fell out of favor were murdered there but there was never any real proof. It is always an interesting trip up Goler Wash to the Barker Ranch, just sitting there is a throwback and to think what went on there a one time is overwhelming and as you stand there you can just picture the things that went on there. Back then you could drive just about anything up the wash but over the years it has become a 4x4 only trail. You can run the entire trail from Panamint Valley through the Panamint Mountains and into Death Valley it isn't a very difficult trail for the most part but there are a few sections to entertain and keep you on your toes. This is a must do trail when visiting the area because not only is it a fun trail but its history with the Manson Family living there is a part of history. Could you imagine you are wheeling this trail alone and run right into these people?

This is a long article but it is good reading, it does re-hash the whole Manson thing and I skimmed over that but the fact that there may still be bodies buried there is weird when you've been there several times and thought about what went on there.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2FUy9tY0oHckSy2LtDd-i_aq06gD8VE1EI00
The Associated Press: Forensic Experts at Manson Site: Dig
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Great article. 8) So if they find a body and can tie the killing to Chuck, can he be executed under the modern death penalty laws, or does it revert back to the 70s when the death penalty was abolished in CA? :headscratch:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Interesting question...  I also wonder.  Seems like if it was a 'new' victim, therefore a 'new' crime that nobody has yet been charged with, the death penalty might apply.  :dunno:  My gut tells me the worthless murdering dirtbag probably wouldn't even face additional charges or new trials, but will continue to rot in prison. 
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
whoa, that really sucks. but whos the manson family? ive never even heard of this, but i still read the article and found it interesting.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
there is no statue of limitations on murder, so i think they can charge them with today's punishment if taken to trial in today's governing

you have never heard of charles manson?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
nope.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

Charles Milles Manson (b. November 12, 1934) is a convict who led the "Manson Family," a quasi-commune that arose in the U.S. state of California in the later 1960s.[1][2][3] He was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the Tate-LaBianca murders, which members of the group carried out at his instruction. Through the joint-responsibility rule of conspiracy,[4] he was convicted of the murders themselves.

Manson is forever associated with "Helter Skelter", the term he took from the Beatles song of that name and construed as a race-based conflict that the crimes were intended to precipitate. This unusual connection with rock music linked him, from the beginning of his notoriety, with pop culture, in which he became an emblem of transgression, rebellion, evil, ghoulishness, bloody violence, homicidal psychosis, and the macabre. Ultimately, the term was used as the title of the book that prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi wrote about the Manson murders.

At the time the Family began to form, Manson was an unemployed ex-convict, who had spent half his life in correctional institutions for a variety of offenses. In the period before the murders, he was a distant fringe member of the Los Angeles music industry, chiefly via a chance association with Beach Boy Dennis Wilson. After Manson was charged with the crimes, recordings of songs written and performed by him were released commercially; a number of artists have covered his songs in the decades since.

Manson's death sentence was automatically reduced to life imprisonment when a decision by the Supreme Court of California temporarily eliminated the state's death penalty.[5] California's eventual reestablishment of capital punishment did not affect Manson, who is an inmate at Corcoran State Prison.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Manson is forever associated with "Helter Skelter", the term he took from the Beatles song of that name and construed as a race-based conflict that the crimes were intended to precipitate.
Yup, and as I recall from Bugliosi's book and news articles of the time, Manson foresaw himself emerging from the conflict in some sort of leadership role.   :screwy:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
nope.

Whaaaaat?!  I guess that makes sense, they don't pay near as much attention to him anymore.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
idk. i have never heard aobut him at all.  it was a little before my time, and i havent really had a good history class in my life. :dunno:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
nope.

Oh wow. 

*I'mnotold... I'mnotold... I'mnotold...*

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
haha!! :haha:

but seriuosly i never have...