Author Topic: ?s about my new fj40  (Read 3668 times)

wr-ecks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
?s about my new fj40
« on: Mar 16, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
i just bought a 67 fj40. pretty stoked about it. ive had a 2 83s an 87 and a 90 hilux with various mods done to them. somebody offers me money and then i start over. now ive got an fj. already started tearing into it. my first question is what i should swap the axles too? i know these ones (course thread axles) suck and need to go. id like to keep the current setup (tranny tcase etc.) as i just put 500 bucks into fixing what i got. which is now a 350,4spd tranny and 3spd tranny tcase. is the newer (76 and later) fj running gear the way to go. i know im kind of limited cause of the offset rear diff. maybe put a front one from a 80s straight axle?? if i weld up the rear diff think it will hold up to a little abuse and some 33's?? i do a lot of trails in the woods nothing too crazy like rockcrawling or anything usually but im definatly floored every now and then. forgive my ignorance but their are very very few of these running around here so my knowledge is limited. thanks guys

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
Re: ?s about my new fj40
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
'76+ axles would do the trick for 33s but can be hard to locate.

Another option is a set of axles from '69-'75 upgraded with a mini-disk swap including knuckles and birfields.

My favorite option is a set of FJ60/62 axles.  You get vented disk brakes, fine spline axles, fine spline pinions, bigger birfields and some extra width to add stability and more clearance for big tires.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
mini-disc swap?? not familiar with the term. i have a landcruiser guy nearby who it sounds like has everything for these things so fj60 axles might be possible. any opinion on welding the rear end and wheeling it til i can find a new one (and/or afford one)... i have access to a 83 straight axle (front obviously) for cheap, i know this can take the abuse cause it used to be from one of my rigs. is it difficult to swap in?? i dont have it currently here so i cant compare... steering gonna be difficult?? thanks in advance. i do have a powersteering box (push-pull) from the 83 as well so maybe convert it to powersteering and using the steering from the 83?? cant be hard to do. ive mated a chevy pump to a toyota box before so no big deal.. or any other advice would be more then welcome.. thanks again.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
Mini-disk swap is when you take the birfield, knuckle and brakes from a mini axle and put them on a cruiser axle.  The knuckle ball is the same size and the parts interchange.

If you get an FJ60 axle it will have 3.73 gears in it.  The FJ62 came with 4.11s so it the better choice in most cases.  The FJ62 also has a 10° higher pinion angle which is good for shaft angles and has a full gusset making the housing stronger.

The mini-truck straight axle has a wider spring perch stance so it won't bolt onto the 40.  It does however have all the parts for a mini-disk swap.

I like saginaw steering boxes and 4x4 Labs steering arms myself but there are about a million options out there for high-steer...

I think the push-pull will mount where the stock steering box mounts but you retain all the excess garbage like the bellcrank/relay junk that causes most of the wandering on 40s.

Can't say about the '67 but my '74 and '78 rears have held up well to being welded and I'm runnin' 38.5s.  If you plan to upgrade in the future then weld them babies up and try it.  You might want to be carefull with the loud pedal until you find replacement parts though...
'88 X-cab, V6

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »
thanks a lot. youve been much help.  :beerchug:

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »
I agree with hammerhead about the saginaw steering definately the way to go.

FJ-62 axles work great, mini axles spring perches to wide to bolt up in the front.

You might want to look at a re-enforcement plate fro the t/case, I broke 3 before I came to the realization I could use one.

Cruisers are an addiction - WELCOME
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
i will look into the plate, thanks. and thanks for the welcome. ive always wanted one but never found a good deal on one when i had the money. things worked out and i came across one by chance and jumped at it. it was a kids high school project that never quite got finished so i lucked out. the dad wanted it gone and made him get rid of it.  :thumbs:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Is that one of those takin' candy from a baby stories...?  :rofl:

Glad to hear of another Cruiser being rescued  :yesnod:

Welcome to the Cruiser addiction  :gap:
'88 X-cab, V6

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
Welcome aboard!
Id be leary about welding diffs if this is your driver, things can get hairy real quick. I say run the axles you have while you collect parts. The pinion gear came apart on mine, which is pretty common from what I hear. How about scoring a set of fine spline axles and a fine spline locker in the older axles?
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008, 07:37:32 PM by Dooner »
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Id be leary about welding diffs if this is your driver, things can get hairy real quick. I say run the axles you have while you collect parts. The pinion gear came apart on mine, which is pretty common from what I hear. How about scoring a set of fine spline axles and a fine spline locker in the older axles?

first off this is def not my daily driver. its been under the knife since i got it so no big deal on breaking stuff. not sure what you mean there at the end.... can you put the fine spline stuff in the older housings??

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »
sounds like i got a free 76 lc thats falling apart but runs and drives so  :willynilly:   free running gear for the 67.. just thought id let you all know in case you were worried about me.  :wave: