Author Topic: Check Engine Light......NEED HELP!!!!  (Read 1700 times)

dingleberry87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 145
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Check Engine Light......NEED HELP!!!!
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:59:37 PM »
I have a 90 Toyota Regular Cab with the 22re.  I bought it a couple months ago with a blown head gasket.  We replaced the head gasket the first time but it was still blowin out all the white smoke.  So we took the head off a second time, inspected it closely and noticed it had a small pinhole.  We found a head from a 93 22re and swapped it out.  The truck runs great and everything now.  But for some reason the check engine light comes on after I start driving it.  It doesnt turn on right away on the start up.  But instead when im driving down the road when i hit about 3rd gear, it comes on.  I was wondering of anyone had any ideas on some of the possibilities or some of the things that I sohuld look at under the hood....thanx guys

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Check Engine Light......NEED HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »
have you tried to run the codes on it?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dingleberry87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
Not yet.  I wanted to see if maybe it was sumthing that just needed to b easily troubleshooted.  But im buying a code reader for it tomorrow. 

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
Dont bother buying a code reader, you don't need one.  I believe the 22res are the same code checking system, so try this first.  Next to the engine bay fuse box is a little grey box (diagnostic port)  he inside of the lid should have a sticker that labels the ports, so look at that, and  install a jumper wire (paper clip works well) between Te1 and E1.  Turn on the truck (don't start it) and the check engine light will blink a sequence of times to indicate the code.  Look up the code in a chiltons/haynes book, and you'll see what the problem is. 

This is the system for the 3.0, like I said before, I believe the 22re diagnostic system is the same, but I'm not positive.  A haynes/chilton book will tell you how to check the codes however, and give you the list of codes as well.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
Not yet.  I wanted to see if maybe it was sumthing that just needed to b easily troubleshooted.  But im buying a code reader for it tomorrow. 

dont think you need a code reader for it. i beleive you jst need to jumper some ports in the diagnostic test connector....

it is too old to be read by an obd2 code reader

the check engine lights covers a vast amount of issues, usually relating to the emissions control systems, without knowing more or what code it is displaying, we will not have an easy answer for you other than look for having some sensor disconnected that wasnt disconnected befroe you did the head swap
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dingleberry87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
I found out wut the problem is guys.  I followed wut blackdog said and found out that it was the knock sensor located on the block