Author Topic: 4.7's done  (Read 1539 times)

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
4.7's done
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
4.7 install went ok.  Had to take stuff out and regrind a few times which got pretty annoying.  Once eveyrthing was properly clearanced i threw it all together and went to put on the rear flange at the back of the case.  Wasnt even close to seating all the way.  I thought wtf, threw some :pokinit: around the garage and drank a beer.  pulled the back plate off and found the speedo drive gear had slid off the input shaft, lost the ball, and got cocked on the splines for the flange.  Found the damn ball, and put it together again and this time I put the flange on before flipping the case all around to torque everything.  Now it's done and sitting on my table.  I'll install this, and weld the rockstomper beadlock kit and mount the tires and i'm done for the summer!  Next project is a 350 chevy going to a sm465 mounted to the toy cases runnin propane.
Go 1-Ton from the start

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 4.7's done
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »
sounds fun :cheese: so how hard was it to press the main shaft bearing out?  :beerchug:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Birfailed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
20 bucks...had a driveline shop pull the bearing and press it back on with the new gear.
Go 1-Ton from the start

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
not bad! i am thinking of buying the same gears for my case. i will have to ask my dads friend to see how much he would charge. so was it simple to install, besides the grinding. :gap:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Birfailed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
Yeah...just follow the directions.  Marlin sent me directions to install a dual t-case adapter with my 4.7's.  Didn't get me very far.  So I made about 100 trips back and forth in the house to glance at the online instructions, what a freakin joke huh.  I did the 23 spline set so I had to pull my adapter anyways and put the new large coupler in to accept the 23 spline stuff.  Online instructions are awesome.  You do need to get a gooood set of snap ring pliers too.  It all came with brand new seals and gaskets.  I didn't get the sweet MC shift knob though, no big deal.  You can do the whole swap in one day.  With the case sitting on the bench and in 4-low...i can turn the input with my thumb and 2 fingers.  That's some deep gearing.
Go 1-Ton from the start

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
Yeah...just follow the directions.  Marlin sent me directions to install a dual t-case adapter with my 4.7's.  Didn't get me very far.  So I made about 100 trips back and forth in the house to glance at the online instructions, what a freakin joke huh. 

That sucks on the instrucktions but the good thing is they also have them online.  :beerchug: i will have to order a set when i get paid! :gap:

Birfailed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
I'll be installing it back into the truck today.  I have a question for anyone that knows this.  I'm able to pull the input shaft far enough at the crawler box so that the gears will actually disengage themselves!  I've been looking at my dual adapter and it has a recess just around the input so I imagine this will stop that bearing and input from sliding forward so much.  But has anyone noticed this either prior to installing the 4.7's or after?  I've bent the lil bearing retainer prong back just for photo reasons.  But even with that bent down I can put enough torque into by hand in 4-lo to have the bearing push the prongs back out.
Go 1-Ton from the start