Author Topic: '99 4Runner lift  (Read 17166 times)

snowbrdr47

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
'99 4Runner lift
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
hey i am looking to lift my 99 runner and i was wondering what the best way to go about it is.  i have a friend who says i can either get blocks for the rear, or that springs from a mid-90s landcruiser will do the same, and then just twisting the torsion bars on the front... is that the best way?  if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, that would be great 'cause i don't know much.... thanks!

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: '99 4Runner lift
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »
in order to use "blocks" you would need leafsprings, and you dont have those

theer are no torsion bars either, just coilovers

landcruiser coils will lift the raer about 2 inches, and ride well.

i recomend revtech if you only want about 2 inches, they can do the front and rear

if you  want more lift, whip out the credit card and call fabtech, or total chaos

snowbrdr47 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
i see...yeah as i said, i don't know much...  well i was looking at some stuff on www.toyteclifts.com, would that stuff work good?  there's some 3 inch lifts there that say they'll fit, thats about what i want to get out of it i think, 3 inches would be nice so i can get some bigger tires under there

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
the toytech stuff looks ok, but ive never used them, i personaly have installed at least 100 revteck kits and like thier quality and detail, and they are perty cheap.

you can fit a 33 950 under a tacoma with a revtech lift, so with the removal of mudflaps and the right offset wheels, you may be able to do a 33 12.50

and dont worry about asking questions here man, we all will do our best to answer, better that then the alternative eh??

snowbrdr47 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
sweet, i'll look more into the revteck stuff, thanks for your help.  any other ideas, let me know, i'm still just looking around at everything until i can actually get it done

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:02:54 AM »
The toytec kit that used the ome springs front and rear is the one i'd use.   Revtek uses all spacers to lift the truck and they cost about the same as the Toytec with springs.  Old Man Emu has a good reputation for ride quality.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:30:45 AM »
or that springs from a mid-90s landcruiser will do the same,
99 Runners actually had the tallest rear coils of ANY runner produced. In 2000 they went back to the lower stance due to poor rollover crash tests. So, you already have 1 ½" extra lift over any other year stock runner. The LC coils wont net you much more lift....just FYI

try checking here http://www.yotatech.com/f2/ hopefully you can weed thru all the BS on that site :)

OME is probably what I would do if I had the cash
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »
www.sonoransteel.com

I just bought System 1.2,  read through the site, lots of good info on 4runners and suspension.

Don't use spacers.  OME is not great on these vehicles.  OME parts were built for the foreign market Prada and not the 4runner.  And they are overlift springs and not made for lift, despite common opinion.  And OME shocks for our application have many issues.

I could go on.  But I did a lot of research before I settled on what I bought.  I believe I bought the best IFS lift available for these things.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
I will have to disagree on respect to OME shocks and springs on the rear. I was running OME 891 springs and N86 shocks for years before redesigning the suspension last year. I still run the OME 891 springs but with Bilstein shocks. The springs have given me the best ride for what I do and they have held up better than any other spring set I've had. In other words they have not sagged a bit.......

I know many who are very happy with the OME lift.....

my rear suspension build-up
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1829.0
99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:26:49 AM »
Well the rear shocks are not that long and you can fit something longer and take advantage of more travel.

The big issue is the front shocks which are too long.  And unless you run a limiting strap you risk damaging CV's.

I glad it works for you.  Your rig is extremely custom and well built.  Everyone uses their trucks differently and load them differently.  But as a general rule, OME springs are not properly used.  Heavy overload springs without carrying an additional load will probably not make for a nice ride.  And the fact remains ARB did not intend them to be lift springs.  The lift is a byproduct.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

snowbrdr47 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
sweet, thanks everyone!  there's a lot of options out there, i just gotta figure it all out i guess. i'll still probably end up having to do the toytech lift or something, just cause its cheaper...  was the 99 runner's coils seriously the tallest? this is my 3rd runner ( had a 90 and a 96 also) and it seems to me that this one is the lowest to the ground....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
 was the 99 runner's coils seriously the tallest?
thats what I was told........I definitely notice that my 99 is taller than other runners on the road. Look at the gap on the rear well....looks lifted almost to me
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »

The 99's with the factory option HD spring set had the greatest ground clearance
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008, 07:05:31 PM by BruceTS »
99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  Why do you assume that all I did was talk to them?

I have made my opinions from my own reasearch and knowlegde of how suspensions work.  I, as somebody who has the money to buy what I want and not the time to build my own, went with a prepackage setup that met my needs as I see them.  I don't have the time nor desire to put together something like your setup.

As far as Sonoran Steel making mistakes or changing their mind.  Suspension design is suspension design, its not rocket science and nobody has a monopoly on it.  There is definately some trial and error that everyone goes through with newer vehicles and "that guy" is not immune, nobody is.  Most of the aftermarket mass produced lifts are junk.  They use spacers and drop brackets.  One thing I do know, there is more to suspension design than just springs and shocks.   

But, you know that too, you are not exactly running the OME springs and shocks as delivered.  You have many more mods.

Makes no difference to me what somebody else runs.  But I tried help the original poster make a informed decision by pointing him in the direction of a popular and inexpensive prepackaged option using what I perceive to be as quality parts.  In my opinion "lifting" a 4runner 3" without addressing rear end alignment or the front CV angles is foolish.

There is no need to get testy.  You have posed some valid questions and criticisms.  I don't have the answer, but maybe your asking the wrong person.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:37:07 AM »
The two lift kits in question are $350.00 and $1200.00   I would fullly expect the $1200.00 kit to be better than the $350.00 kit.  I think it would depend greatly on the budget of the guy who originally posted this thread.

My opinion was that the Toytec/OME kit was the best of the low budget kits.   The Sonoran kit uses adjustable coilovers for the front which is a different type of lift.  Several companies offer these types of lifts, Sonoran, All Pro, and yes Toytec does too.   I did not research these types of lifts because they were not in my budget so I have no opinion as to which is the best one.

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:43:54 AM »

A buddy has a 96 runner and a an 02 runner, even the 96 is a little higher off the ground. Thats just something we both had noticed as well.
 he's looking for a quality lift for his 02 runner as well maybe this thread will help clear up the his choices.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

Darrin530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '07
  • fish on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »
http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html

great ride, great price, good flex (keep in mind that it is still IFS)
3RD Gen 4runner 5VZ-FE R150f

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
hey if you decide to let them 99 coils loose ill be more than happy to take them off your hands
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

jarboarder1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
I have a 99 4Runner and when I lift it this summer I will use 2.5" spacers in the front and then get some old man emu springs for the rear. Then in the future I plan to get some SAW's for the front.

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »
Helped a friend install a 3" Toytec lift in their 97 runner.  Looks great and affordable.  Had OME rear coils and spacers for the front.   Recommend the diff drop spacers to help with the front cv angle.   Neads longer rear shocks for trail use, but does fine on road.  Coils seem a little stiffer than the stock 170k miles originals.  Which was what the owner was after, but rides great.  Rubs a little with 285/75 r16's.

Note, when pulling the front struts apart, find a big spring compressor.    Springs are a very stout setup and bent the compressor we used.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
Note, when pulling the front struts apart, find a big spring compressor.    Springs are a very stout setup and bent the compressor we used.
I have heard this same thing.....  for safety reasons (two) SETS of compressors should be used
RIP KYOTA

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »
Helped a friend install a 3" Toytec lift in their 97 runner.  Looks great and affordable.  Had OME rear coils and spacers for the front.   Recommend the diff drop spacers to help with the front cv angle.   Neads longer rear shocks for trail use, but does fine on road.  Coils seem a little stiffer than the stock 170k miles originals.  Which was what the owner was after, but rides great.  Rubs a little with 285/75 r16's.

What kind of wheels is he running with those 285's?
'04 Taco DC 4x4

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
What kind of wheels is he running with those 285's?

16 x8 eagle aluminums.  m/t knock offs/ baja style
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
I have heard this same thing.....  for safety reasons (two) SETS of compressors should be used
  We were actually using a wall mounted strut compressor.  Never thought it would start to bend the arms.

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »
16 x8 eagle aluminums.  m/t knock offs/ baja style

Would you happen to know the backspacing.  I'm getting some 285's for mine as well.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »
Would you happen to know the backspacing.  I'm getting some 285's for mine as well.
We're thinking 4" backspacing.  Looks like that's the most common in that style wheel.

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
I just bought the SS 7.2 lift Ill post how the build up for you guys. I know it was alot of bills but you get what you pay for
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Cool!

I bought the 1.2.  Waiting to get all the parts for my elocker swap then it all goes together at the same time.

I agree, you get what you pay for.  Plus if you look at what people are paying for bracket lifts what we have looks reasonable.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
hate to hijak but how much did you find that elocker for?

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »
$450, then I had it regeared using a solid spacer.  It hurt the wallet a little bit but I think it was worth it.

Bought the diff from a guy on Pirate that was local to me.
'04 Taco DC 4x4