Author Topic: header or manifold?  (Read 1530 times)

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
header or manifold?
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »
i've heard good things about putting a header on, and i've heard good things about keeping the stock manifold.  i'm not trying to turn my truck into a muscle car, but wondering if a header makes enough difference to blow 2-$300 bucks on.  i like the exhaust manifold because i've never had any problems with it leaking, and i'v heard headers are nothing but problems.  let me know what you guys think.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: header or manifold?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:36:08 AM »
a good quality header is not full of problems... get yourself a pacesetter and be prepared for problems....

do you have any mods on the truck? headers do help, but will go un-noticed if the rest of the system isnt upgraded and is still restrictive
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »
A header will increase you power 10-15% but is 15% on a 22R worth it? I've had 2 different trucks with headers one was stock and it really didn't make enough difference to have been worth it. The other was highly modified and it made a big difference.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
If you are going to get a header get a high quality one like a Downey, LCE or Doug Thorley.  I have a Thorley (which I believe is the cheepest of the 3) and i have not had any problems with it.  Power wise is makes a huge difference.  When i put on 31's my truck would not pull 5th gear but with the header, 2 1/4" exhaust with a turbo muffler it will pull 33's with no problem.  As far as I am concerned a header is right up there with aggressive tires and diff lockers when it comes to mods that should be done.   
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
as far as mods go, 2 1/4 exhaust with flowmaster, high flow cat, v6 air box.  engine is pretty much stock.  the reason why i'm really looking into an upgrade is my truck lugs in fifth with 37's and 5.29's.  hoping this might help a bit.  is there a difference in the short tube vs. long tube, besides the obvious? 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:23:26 AM »
Even being a 22r/20r hybrid it didn't make a big difference, always seemed the same. Of course the 20r head made a big difference.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
as far as mods go, 2 1/4 exhaust with flowmaster, high flow cat, v6 air box.  engine is pretty much stock.  the reason why i'm really looking into an upgrade is my truck lugs in fifth with 37's and 5.29's.  hoping this might help a bit.  is there a difference in the short tube vs. long tube, besides the obvious? 
well there's why,  unless you are on the  freeway  dont even try to use 5th :slap:   the sweet spot of these engines aka  peak torque  is  2800-3200 rpm,  so thats where you need to keep  your  engine speed at for the best performance AND  best fuel mileage
and  dont be afraid  to  pull out  to 3600 or 3800 befor you shift, esp on a  uphill grade

with what you have  i wouldnt bother with the header,  if  you add a  cam later  then maybe
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »
I got my header and well, it's going in in a few weeks.  No contest which is better.  I've never had a manifold anyways that didn't leak or crack on me after 1-2 years.  Headers just don't do that and look cool.  :thumbs:

2 1/4 inch pipe, flowmaster and so on as well.  I did make sure it was CA smog legal/approved, which while it doesn't do much to the power if it's not, it's a lot easier to know it's 50 state compliant if you ever get around to selling it.  Also, it keeps the cops happy and so on(and you seem to live in CA, which is why I mentioned it - it's nice to be able to legally drive on the road, too.   :yesnod:

Same price, just one's blessed with the right label most of the time.  Yeah, CA is anal that way...

Oh - mine has no air injection nonsense, so no crappy plates to leak(never had it in the first place but Toyota on their infinite cost-cutting wisdom used the same manifold on half a dozen applications, resulting in plates and gaskets and so on instead of a nice proper design)

Thorley seems to make the best ones that are smog legal, IMO.  It's what I'm putting on my truck.   :gap: