Author Topic: Help! 22re Runs like Crap - Sometimes  (Read 31279 times)

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
Re: Help! 22re Runs like Crap - Sometimes
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »
I read this thread when i was at school 6 months ago when i was trying to fix mine doing the same thing. I couldn't find it once i got home. Anyways I fixed mine, and it seemed to be doing the samething as yours. What it was was the air bypass valve on the bottom of the intake manifold. i guess the spring had worn out inside it or something, but i replaced it with a different one, and adjusted it as best i could (took a few tries).  at first I set it too high and always idled high, at stoplights it would cut the fuel because it though the truck was still slowing down. once i got it in the correct range it ran way better. I still notice that when its cold it is still a slight bit sluggish, but we are talking minuscule, if i hadn't had the problem i probably wouldn't have noticed. Just for the heck of it, I am going to swap the later model upperintake plenum with the bypass valve connected to the throttle body as I have heard it is less troublesome, that style plenum offers a slight increase in throttle response and because I already have the parts.

taco522

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
I read this thread when i was at school 6 months ago when i was trying to fix mine doing the same thing. I couldn't find it once i got home. Anyways I fixed mine, and it seemed to be doing the samething as yours. What it was was the air bypass valve on the bottom of the intake manifold. i guess the spring had worn out inside it or something, but i replaced it with a different one, and adjusted it as best i could (took a few tries).  at first I set it too high and always idled high, at stoplights it would cut the fuel because it though the truck was still slowing down. once i got it in the correct range it ran way better. I still notice that when its cold it is still a slight bit sluggish, but we are talking minuscule, if i hadn't had the problem i probably wouldn't have noticed. Just for the heck of it, I am going to swap the later model upperintake plenum with the bypass valve connected to the throttle body as I have heard it is less troublesome, that style plenum offers a slight increase in throttle response and because I already have the parts.

Do you have any picture of this bypass valve ? Maybe it would give me a better idea what it look like when I'm look for it. Thanks !

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »

The valve on the early style is on the far left. the newer valve can be seen on the trottle body in the middle. the old valve hangs off of the number 1 intake runner.

taco522

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the picture ! sorry I am a visual learner.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
haha no problem.