Author Topic: Tire questions...from the expert....  (Read 11580 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Tire questions...from the expert....
« on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
well, as most of you know, ive been in and out of the professional tire business for about 8 years, i would say i know my stuff for the most part.

but heres my question, in which i need real world answers

i want a tire that does two things

1) perform well on the road, with the ability to balance well, and the ability to perform quietly and without vibration

2) the ability to provide traction off road at lower pressures, without compromising sidewall integrity

ive seen MTRs shreaded by stumps and stuff countless times, they are out of the question

i know the toyo mt is a great tire, but lets face the facts, they are un appealing visually, and bloody expensive

so what are you running? does it do well? and do you trust it off road??

what about the BFg at??  i hate BFGs, but the at is a good street tire, what does it do off road??

im looking at a 37 or larger tire by the way. and they will be on my VERY heavy runner
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007, 07:31:26 PM by crawlerdan »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Tire queastions...from the expert....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »
ANOTHER TIRE THREAD!!!!! :willynilly:

friggin newbs  :shake:

just kidding...I love me some BFG's all day long  :love:

great tread life....good on road manners, siped for snow and ice, decent sidewall protection (for those full speed curb assaults at the mall) QUIET, balance very well

I've always run ATs or MTs and am now on my first pair of swampers. I dont recommend the Swampers on road  :talkingn:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
Truxus, 35x12.5x15, MY personal preference  :smack:
DanS
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 12:52:34 PM by DanS »
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
ANOTHER TIRE THREAD!!!!! :willynilly:

friggin newbs  :shake:

just kidding...I love me some BFG's all day long  :love:

great tread life....good on road manners, siped for snow and ice, decent sidewall protection (for those full speed curb assaults at the mall) QUIET, balance very well

I've always run ATs or MTs and am now on my first pair of swampers. I dont recommend the Swampers on road  :talkingn:
ok, good reply collier!! ive owned probably 6 sets of boggers, 3 sets of tsls, a few toyos, and a few bfg mt

i hated the mt BFG with a paiion, so much so i gave them away-but what are the sidewall characteristics compared to a swamper. i know i can beat teh pee out of the swamper all day, and i do. how does the BFG stack up in sidewall strength??

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:15:45 PM »
Truxus, 35x12.5x15, MY personal preference  :smack:
DanS
i ALMOST bough truxus last month....how are they Dan?? besides spendy :D

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
how does the BFG stack up in sidewall strength??
i thought you was the tire expert?  :talkingn:

why did u hate the BFG muds? I have always had positive experiences with them
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:18:37 PM »
Cost a lot, great road handling, good air down capabilities and DON'T wear as quickly as MY Bfg's  :lipsrsealed:
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »
I have worked at Tire Pros for the last year now, and I would have to say that you definately dont want to go with the BFG AT.  They become unbalanced very quickly.  The mojority of the customers that come in because their lifted truck shakes, have BFG At's.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with road force measurement, but the BFG's always have the highest.  Which is bad.  I have personally run some smaller BFG AT's on my truck when it was stock height, (30x9.50's), and I hated them.  I reballanced them every couple thousand miles, and they were always out by an abnormal amount.  The only positive side of them, is that I havent seen them become very choppy at all on any of the trucks I have worked on.  They seem to wear decently.

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »

Whoo BFG'S have great sidewall strengths, even when aired down
Just wear down way too fast (I'm no expert but I think the tire compound is too hard, thus increased tread wear and separated ply's)
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007, 06:28:29 PM by DanS »

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:21:18 PM »
  By your post I'll guess you're leaning towards an A/T type tire, Yes?   I had a set of 31" BFG A/T's and sadly while they were only 31's they did awesome for most all around wheelin'. Surely, they're no "Bogger" but they were great on the street  :driving: and did amazingly well in dirt, sand, even some slick mud (not deep, of course) and in some of the rocks that I managed to get myself into... :disturbed:
  I was rather bummed  :down: though when one of them started to seperate on me (seems a bit common with these  :dunno:) when I probably still had about 30-40% tread life on them so I switched them out for some other A/T's that I had floating around which did rather well also.
  With most recent upgrades on my rig I've gone with the BFG mudders (35's) that I had from my chevy. I've seen those in action as well and I like 'em.  :cheese: Hope you find something to satisfy your needs.  :beerchug:

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »

well, i consider myself as one, but les schwab doesnt carry them at all

and as for my experiances, i bought a set of 35x12.50 bfg m/ts when i was 17
they would not balance at all, whre loud as hell (and im used to boggers!!)
and provided NO traction off road, they very quickly packed with mud and turned into slicks on the trail, would not clean out even at 4k rpm in 3rd gear!! (single low range at the time)

on top of that, they wore out very quickly

now this was along time ago...so ill reserve judgement later on newer product
and i also know that companies do produce "bad batches" so...
how is the newer stuff??

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
I have worked at Tire Pros for the last year now, and I would have to say that you definately dont want to go with the BFG AT.  They become unbalanced very quickly.  The mojority of the customers that come in because their lifted truck shakes, have BFG At's.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with road force measurement, but the BFG's always have the highest.  Which is bad.  I have personally run some smaller BFG AT's on my truck when it was stock height, (30x9.50's), and I hated them.  I reballanced them every couple thousand miles, and they were always out by an abnormal amount.  The only positive side of them, is that I havent seen them become very choppy at all on any of the trucks I have worked on.  They seem to wear decently.
good info, thanks

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
 By your post I'll guess you're leaning towards an A/T type tire, Yes?   I had a set of 31" BFG A/T's and sadly while they were only 31's they did awesome for most all around wheelin'. Surely, they're no "Bogger" but they were great on the street  :driving: and did amazingly well in dirt, sand, even some slick mud (not deep, of course) and in some of the rocks that I managed to get myself into... :disturbed:
  I was rather bummed  :down: though when one of them started to seperate on me (seems a bit common with these  :dunno:) when I probably still had about 30-40% tread life on them so I switched them out for some other A/T's that I had floating around which did rather well also.
  With most recent upgrades on my rig I've gone with the BFG mudders (35's) that I had from my chevy. I've seen those in action as well and I like 'em.  :cheese: Hope you find something to satisfy your needs.  :beerchug:
im not really "leaning " towards anything, but i will tell you this, ive owned my runner for about 5 years, and in the first 4.5, i only put like 3k miles on it, ive put 4k on it in the last 6 months, so i drive it more now, and hate the annoyance of a unbalanced tsl at 70mph for 60 miles

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »
Whoo BFG'S have great sidewall strengths, even when aired down
I would always air mine down to 8-10 pounds and that was before I had onboard air...in the snow like 4 or 5 psi...never lost a bead or anything..maybe im just lucky
RIP KYOTA

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »
im not really "leaning " towards anything, but i will tell you this, ive owned my runner for about 5 years, and in the first 4.5, i only put like 3k miles on it, ive put 4k on it in the last 6 months, so i drive it more now, and hate the annoyance of a unbalanced tsl at 70mph for 60 miles
Gotcha!  :biggthumpup:

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »
I would always air mine down to 8-10 pounds and that was before I had onboard air...in the snow like 4 or 5 psi...never lost a bead or anything..maybe im just lucky
im not concerned with losing a bead so much as im concerned with ripping one in half

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
Dan, my first set of Truxus 33x12.5x15 took a beating, even when aired down, I ripped one of the bead, re-set it and drove on.
I wore them for three years, including the letting go of one belt which required a lot of re-balancing. I still have the tires mounted and put them on when I want to beat the crap out of something L O L  :haha:
Hope it helps, DanS

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
Dan, my first set of Truxus 33x12.5x15 took a beating, even when aired down, I ripped one of the bead, re-set it and drove on.
I wore them for three years, including the letting go of one belt which required a lot of re-balancing. I still have the tires mounted and put them on when I want to beat the crap out of something L O L  :haha:
Hope it helps, DanS
Good stuff Dan, how are they on the road?? as far as noise and balancing

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
On the road the are great, even all year long, they have a softer compound and great siping for ice and snow traction - within reason, I run 'aussie' lockers front and back and they can make a fool of a great set of tires.
My latest set the 35's have no more road noise than a meaty set of snow tires and balancing, all 5 tires where no less than 3/4 ounce to 1.75 ounces.
DanS

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »
:psss: u misspelled "question" in the thread title
RIP KYOTA

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:23:15 PM »
 :yupyup: but i liked the post and didn't have the heart to tell dan

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:24:30 PM »
:psss: u misspelled "question" in the thread title
:slap: He's a tire expert, not a spelling teacher.  :gap:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »
:slap: He's a tire expert, not a spelling teacher.  :gap:
ohhhhhh right! snap   :outtahere:

:rofl2:
RIP KYOTA

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »
On the road the are great, even all year long, they have a softer compound and great siping for ice and snow traction - within reason, I run 'aussie' lockers front and back and they can make a fool of a great set of tires.
My latest set the 35's have no more road noise than a meaty set of snow tires and balancing, all 5 tires where no less than 3/4 ounce to 1.75 ounces.
DanS
wow, thats great

and as for you DTB, im typing with two broken fingers, there is bound to be a ton o mistakes...and i like scotch....and, well i cant type to start out with.....feel sorry for me yet :D

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
Re: Tire questions...from the expert....
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »

What about the new BFG km2. the side walls are supposed to be tough, nice aggressive tread blocks, quiet on the highway, and Q rated too ! (good for over 100 mph)
(the reviews make em sound sweet anyway)
 I know BFG's aren't everybody's favorite tire but thought I'd throw in  :twocents:
I haven't got a set now but I intend to once I have enough lift.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »

What about the new BFG km2. the side walls are supposed to be tough, nice aggressive tread blocks, quiet on the highway, and Q rated too ! (good for over 100 mph)
(the reviews make em sound sweet anyway)
 I know BFG's aren't everybody's favorite tire but thought I'd throw in  :twocents:
I haven't got a set now but I intend to once I have enough lift.
well, thanks, but i think that my prior experiance with BFG muds will take over when i got the dough  :thumbdown:

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
pro comp x terrains.... love them on the street and love them offroad
Let's put a smile on that face!

12GA.YOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »
dont go with bfg ats they suck. I had a set on my 96 silverado 31" and my 84 toy 35" they both chunk out and the sidewalls are really thin. I sliced the side wall on the 35 rock crawlin and they are the reason i'm running boggers on my toy now. My 96 silverado hardly ever sees off-road time (my dd)and they have allot of chuncks missing from the tred and I only have 1500 miles on them :mad:, I will never run them again. Try Big O brand tires, tere not the best tire out there but the do have the best warenty 3 years unconditional buy five if one blows out they replace it free no matter what the mileage is
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »
In my experience with tires (another ex-Les Schwabie) BFG M/T do really good around this part of the country, but for having a three ply sidewall, they are prone to sidewall cuts.  Do awesome in the mud and snow, but weak in the sidewall.  I've been toying with the idea of what to get when my existing Wildcat EXT's wear out, what to get.  I really like the Goodyear MT, but they bring the suck in mud.  I like the BFG's for the excellent mileage you get from them on hwy.  But the biggest recommendation I've been getting is the TRXUS MT.  I've got friends that are running them and they all say it is the only tire that they will ever buy.  Including Brandon from Crawl gives them the  :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »
what about the off brands, like kumho, and cooper, i see that they have stepped up to make larger mt tires.

anyone know anything about those??