Author Topic: What is a line lock brake and would it work as a E-brake?  (Read 5446 times)

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
What is a line lock brake and would it work as a E-brake?
« on: Dec 21, 2007, 07:50:43 PM »
 I need e-brake other than stock.  My only other option is a t-case e-brake.  I like the idea of a line lock brake.  Would this work the same as an e-brake/t-case brake?

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
I have both 'transfer case E brake' and line lock which works by locking the brake fluid, when applied, together they work well.
However the line lock like any 'valve' could fail, something you don't want when trying to keep your rig from rolling during repairs.  :_order:
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
a line lock is temporary... it can not hold the vehicle for extended amounts of time
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
One of the guys in my club is using a line lock as a parking brake, I am not sure how much I would trust it though. I would be worried it would leak down over time. I work in the oilfield so I don't trust valves to work as promised as much as most ;).

If it was me I would look into the transfer case parking brake. I trust something mechanical over longer period than I would something hydraulic.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
I have both and the linelocks do not hold after a short while.  I would go with the t-case e-brake or both. :twocents:
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

Rubijon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Nov '07
  • WRECKED4x4.COM
    • View Profile
Would not use the line locks for a long period of time. But they do work well.

flyin ryan [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
Thanks for everyones input,

I guess If I have to do one or the other it will be the t-case brake.  Just wish marlin would come out with one.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Microlocks (linelock) work great, they will lock all 4 wheels and as long as your system is in excellent condition you have nothing to worry about. Any leaks in the system though and they will release and that means your vehicle could roll away. They are most commonly used for recovery work in the towing industry or for any winching operation. They are not good as an emergancy brake.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
linelocks are only designed to hold line pressure for short periods of time and use an electric solenoid for operation , they will work but would I use one ? no
Micos are basically the same thing but are mechanical to hold line pressure. would I use one? yes and no, as rs said if your system is sound there wouldn't be a problem.

best bet, factory ebrake, tcase brake or rear disc conversion w/integrated park brake ;)