Author Topic: What Rebuild Kit, and Other Rebuild Questions (85 22RE)  (Read 3057 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
What Rebuild Kit, and Other Rebuild Questions (85 22RE)
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
So, when I first bought this truck (85), the engine didn't run. I replaced the oil, and what came out was about a quart of black nasty sludge. I put in new oil, and got it running by putting in new injectors. Later on, I was driving it, heard some bad clunk noises from the engine. It ran on two cylinders until I got it home and parked it. I pulled out the engine from the rolled 88 that came with this truck, and it got swapped into the 85. So I have an engine (85) that I am thinking about rebuilding and putting back  into my truck, or selling it. The problem is, I don't know what is wrong with it. So I am going to tear it down and see if it is even rebuildable. If it is, I plan on doing just that. This will be my first engine rebuild, so I will probably end up needing lots of help. One thing I am not sure of is what rebuild kit I should go with. I like the LCE kit, but it is expensive. It appears to be high quality though. If I am going to put this back into my truck, I will probably do the dual timing chain swap as well, so getting it all from one source would be easy. What rebuild kits have you used? Was it all high quality stuff, or was it like cardboard gaskets, and bearings that already looked trashed? I want to do this right the first time, and not half ass it with a crappy rebuild kit. I already searched the site, but didn't find too much in the way of opinions on different rebuild kits. Sorry for the long post! :help:

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
A lot of people have had good luck with this guy.

http://www.engnbldr.com/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jtaco1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 541
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Yep, I have Engine builder part on my 22re.  Very nice parts to use.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, Elocker rear axle, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
doaracingengines.com and lcengineering.com are two well known toyota rebuild places. LCE is a very pricey place but if you don't buy a crate engine from them their products are good or so i've been told.
lets not and say we did.