Author Topic: Plekto's Never-ending Fit-it Project - now with PICS!  (Read 1649 times)

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Plekto's Never-ending Fit-it Project - now with PICS!
« on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »
Pics to come soon.

This isn't a build-up so much as a place for me to gripe about all the things that I'm constantly having to do to this thing(and of course post pics).  Expect very slow speed as I'm nearly out of money until Jan/Feb.  Not panning to rock-crawlify it as it's my daily driver.

It's a white 87 4Runner SR5 with all the options you could get - very nice, actually.  Only one noticeable dent in it.  Paint is a bit old.  Was raised and modified, now back to almost stock(previous owner did this and changed his mind - go figure)  Nerf bars, bull bars, and so on.  xfer case replaced with a brand new non rebuilt unit 2 years ago.  2nd engine - originally brand new crate from Japan 5-6 years ago. 150K miles(he did 60-100 miles a day on the freeway mostly) A/C replaced with R134A.  Lots of other small mods and upgrades.  Over ten years he spent $12K on it in parts, so mechanically it's a lot more like a ten year old truck.  I can't find much that's not been replaced at some time in fact.  All the buttons and knobs and such work fine.  Power locks and windows, too.

See, it has *some* good points, too, which is why I'm working on it.

I bought this for *$600*  :greengrin: (he got a new SlowBurban and couldn't get this to keep a charge and just wanted it gone) and so far have:

* New interior carpet and rear seats(you don't wanna know how bad it was - think Project Stinky).  The previous owner's wife had a candle-making business and they let their dogs also ride in it and the kids - yeah - let's just say they failed to notify their parents of their bodily needs on long trips)

* New blower fan(oddly enough only works on med and high - no low?)  Horrible job to replace. 

* Fixed heater.  AC worked/works fine.

* New belts and alternator.  New battery.  New spark plug wires and plugs and rotor/cap/etc)

* New windshield(previous one when I get pictures - imagine having 2 cracks in it all the way across.
(after all of this it ran this way for a year just fine)

Three months ago:
* New tires.  Old ones were balding Radial Rovers.  Nearly had a blow-out they were coming apart so bad at the end.  (need a Fontucky smiley?)

* Entire new front brakes.  Rotors, pads, lines, and calipers.  Got a great price on the parts.  silly amount of work to put in though.   Zillion and half parts in the auto-locking hubs which had to be taken completely apart(ag!)

* New MC HD transmission.  and HD non-ceramic clutch.  Works great, btw - MC is the best  :thumbs:

So the current list is:
- Took it in to get the oil changed and they stripped the bolt out.   :wall:  getting that fixed today.

- Install Thorley Header and get new exhaust on it.  (next big project - just got the parts!)

- Outer CV boots need replacing.  Not looking forward to that.    :down:

Later:
- New shocks eventually
- Something's off with one of the rear drums. 
- Previous owner took off the altimeter/etc gauge.  Get new one.
- Find cold solder joint in cluster that is making my oil pressure gauge work when it feels like.
- Figure out why my highbeams stopped working.(hate electrical problems)
- Replace a few minor trim/etc pieces.  Interior is fantastic otherwise.
- Fix windshield wiper pump.
- Remove the last of the failed ten year old DIY tinting.

Far down the road:
- Lights?
- Winch?
- Replace missing roof rack?(bolts are there - previous owner removed it and sold it..  :dunno: )
- 2-4 inch more lift?(already is essentially 2 inches - will explain when I post pics)
- Roll bar inside? 
- Swingable tire rack on rear?
- More armor underneath?
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2007, 09:16:37 PM by Plekto »

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
Re: Plekto's Never-ending Fit-it Project
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »
pics!
Jeep

Plekto [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Re: Plekto's Never-ending Fit-it Project
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
Pics!  Compressed to be net-friendly.  I'll get working on this it looks like in a few weeks, though, with the hollidays pretty much nerfing my budget.

Turns out two bolts in the header are stripped clean away so I need to tap and rethread them and also get the gasket for the header and all the bolts and studs(figure $50-60 in parts and whatever the local machine shop charges to fix the previous mechanic's hamfisted repair job)

Pretty clean - it was almost as bad as "Project Stinky" when I got it.   :crazy:  Okay worse.  Read what I did to it.  This driveway has about a 2 inch slope from the front of my truck to back.  So while it looks a little lower in the rear in the picture, it's actually 1 inch higher.

Nerf bars/steps on the sides.  :greengrin:  Yes, it needs a bath.

Some nice slats in it to help with cooling.

Smitybilt bumpers.  Me like  :thumbs:

Hard to see, but Smittybilt rear hitch type bumper.

The original owner(I'm the third) had it lifted a LOT.  I've never seen a mount for a rear spring that far forward. It can't be for the FRONT can it?  The rear is still there, being used.  The previous owner apparently converted it back to "stock" - can't see the lift points in the front.  His "conversion" in the rear was simply removing a leaf, so it's about an inch or two lifted in the rear.  The typical "sag" that you get is compensated I guess, so the rear is about 1 inch higher than the front - not too bad, actually, considering(sag is an awful look in these).  Looks nice and agressive.

Okay, the previous owner spend $14,000  :yikes: on the truck in about 8 years.  Mechanically almost everything is less than 8 years old - and has been replaced at some time.(last item, transmission by me, with a MC HD unit)

The interior cost me $700 to get completely re-done and upholstered like new.  Before , it was stained, torn, had been used to haul construction equipment, dogs, candle making supplies(oils, wax, etc) and it smelled like the devil's popouri deodorant from hell.    :scared:   Oh - and the rear seats had been peed on by their kids at least 20 times.  Maybe the dogs too.  Now, it's good and clean.  Well worth the money.

New one of these as well.  New headliner.

Nice work, actually - if you are in the L.A. area, I can give you the address of the guy who did the work.  :yesnod:   That's a sheepskin cover from Bed Bath & Beyond of all places.  Keeps it clean in case my son spills something and looks nice with the front seats.

Lastly, I have sheepskin covers for the front seats.  The shifter area gives you an idea of how bad it was inside.  That shifter cover/cloth is cleaned and it's still 50 shades of funky stained.  Gotta get that all replaced.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2007, 08:42:35 PM by Plekto »

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
good looking truck :biggthumpup: really clean. and im digging the sheepskin :yupyup:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS