Author Topic: Yet another 1992 Pickup Build Up Thread...  (Read 15652 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another 1992 Pickup Build Up Thread...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
I haven't had any problems with it yet, the amp is nothing too huge only about 400 watt x4. Nothing like what I used to run way back when in my RX-7 days (1000w+) those suckers would get hot, this one hasn't even tripped the thermal sensor once one bit.. Both bins are tired to gether air wise too... I am more worried about a leak cropping up then heat honestly. :) a friend of mine her bin gets a little damp in the rains.... Mine seems to be okay so far. I just can't stand having wires/amps laying around in plain view or in the way having to move it around.

:thumbs: glad to hear it.  I personally don't have any experience with it, he might have been running a bigger amp :dunno: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »
Minor update...
I just welded on the rock sliders (They are Marlins). I still need to weld in the extra gussets, but even without them it seems plenty strong. Regardless those will be going on as well one of these weekends.

Now I guess its time to buy a tube bender and start wasting money learning how to make an exo cage to finish it off... :)

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
Well, everyone backed out on going in on a tube bender with me.. so I just decided to take my truck to someone who has done exo's before. I should have it back in about two weeks. Expensive? Yes, but considering how much tube benders/notchers and tube are these days its not that much more. As I have never done any sort of tube bending (other then hammering something out of the way haha) this might even be cheaper. ;)

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »
well as long as it is done right  looks good and saves your truck/life it's worth the $$    looking good
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
well as long as it is done right  looks good and saves your truck/life it's worth the $$    looking good

Yeah the guy is fantastic at his work. A friend of mine had a exo done on her Toyota and I looked it over pretty damn closely. Very impressed with the work. ;)

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
A little preview...
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
A little preview of what has been done to the truck...  :biggthumpup:

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »
right on. now your bed wont look like mine.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
right on. now your bed wont look like mine.

Yeah I am hoping that it helps prevent me from needing a cab swap anytime soon. ;)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »
may i ask what the cost of getting the exo done was? im thinking about some tube work, but the high cost of a bender and then wasted tubing seems like a lot to me, if i only need a few things made...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »
Wow, very nice. Looks good. What color are you going to paint the tube?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
may i ask what the cost of getting the exo done was? im thinking about some tube work, but the high cost of a bender and then wasted tubing seems like a lot to me, if i only need a few things made...
X2
 now thats a full exo, looks great!
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
The exo cost me just about $3000. Alot of money I know but when pricing out the tube bender, notcher + metal it was about the same. Then came in the factor that I have never even attempted to bend metal like that. So + more money for screwed up tube for noobie learning curve. I was very tempted to try it myself however people backed out when it came time to order the bender and notcher. So here it is, the place that did this cage did a fantasic job. I couldn't be happier, I taped off half the truck this even.. hope to continue tomorrow and paint it all up.

I am going to paint the cage Orchard Semi-Gloss Black. ;) Same paint/color I used on my bumpers. I think the Black on the cage will contrast the trucks Red well.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 05:18:11 AM »
they sure didnt skimp on the tube!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 06:20:04 AM »
Thats a lot of tube.    How dose it drive ?
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 06:27:14 AM »
Some pretty large gaps on the a-pillar and back of the cab.... For that price that would be unacceptable to me. Just an observation...not trying to dog your cage :coffee:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2008, 01:52:45 PM »
 got any pics from the front of the truck?
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
thats a damn nice rig man.

the exo looks likeits heavy enough that you need to invest in forced induction now :D

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
seems like ther are a few spots that the cage should have had a lisght bend to follow the body lines, around the bed, back of cab, A-pillar, and it seems around the a-pillar and back of cab it doesnt sit very close tho the body.

thanks you for answering wuestion about price though :thumbs:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »

Thats a lot of tube.    How dose it drive ?

It drives fine, just a bit slow. Though coming from my old 94 Twin Turbo RX-7 it always has seemed a bit slow. ;)

Some pretty large gaps on the a-pillar and back of the cab.... For that price that would be unacceptable to me. Just an observation...not trying to dog your cage :coffee:

I am actually a fan of it being a bit further then some other cages. My reason being I have seen quite a few exo's when put to use actually hit the apiller/cab themselves when the cab itself shifts. I don't know if the cab shifted as much as it did in those cases because of other issues? but it doesn't bother me one bit having it stick out a bit like that. On the sides it sticks out a bit I believe to tie it into the Marlin rock sliders as they stick out that distance... Anyhow, im not taking it as 'dog'ing the cage, I wouldn't have posted pics/build up thread if I didn't want peoples input.

thats a damn nice rig man.

the exo looks likeits heavy enough that you need to invest in forced induction now :D

haha, my friends and family have already been hearing me scream as if I am going to put a 13BT or 13BTT ( Turbo RX-7 motors) into it.. As I just did a swap about a day before I took the truck in for the EXO, though I put a 22RE back into the truck. Just put one in with less miles on it.

got any pics from the front of the truck?
I took some as I finished painting the exo today. I will have them up tomorrow for you.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 09:26:46 PM »
well regardless, looks liek a sweet rig man-i vote 7mgte ;D

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Exo Update
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
So here's the more official update...

I took my truck to Off Road Addiction for an Exo Cage. They did great work and only had my truck for a short amount of time. They were also very willing to work around my poor work hours as far as finding time to drop the truck off.  I had hoped to try an make a cage myself, with a tube bender, notcher and lots of free time.. However people backed out of the tube bender and notcher with me. Plus with the current price of tube/metal in general it was going to be more expensive to buy the machines + tube + being a noobie at tube bending.. it would have cost quite a bit more thinking about it more.

I am very happy with the end result and recommend them to anyone. They do all sorts of fabrication, all you have to do is ask.

In case anyone is interested in having work done they are located in Auburn, California. Phone number: 530-368-6912

Anyways here are the pictures...

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 01:32:54 PM »
looks much better with paint! maybe it was the pics before making it look funny, but i think it looks much much better with some black on it.

elfking [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
Hah yeah I guess that could be. I should have waited to post the end result... I was a little trigger happy. ;)

Next on the list:
Relocate the ECU up above the Glovebox (out of kick panel area for water crossings.)
-buy a Ready Welder to share on the Jeep and Toyota...

Not sure what else is left... anyone see anything I am missing...? well besides longfields.. but I think I am going to hold off on longfields until I snap a birf.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
Wow, looks really good man. The black and red contrast is perfect.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting