Author Topic: 44's for freeeeeee  (Read 3487 times)

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
44's for freeeeeee
« on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »
I got a set of 44" s for free, one of my customers decided he didn't want to run tall tires anymore. The tires have like 150 miles on them and went through 21 mud pits with 19 wins. It's a pair of 44 19.5 15 boggers and a pair of 44 18.5 15 TSL"s .

I'm going to go with 12" wheels and double bead locks, found some weld on beadlocks on ebay for cheep, So since the tires will be off road only, plus the wheel will end up almost 15" wide.

These tires are just unreal I'm still new to this, still on my first build, I had planned on running 35"s, these are huge.

I have quite a bit of lift on my truck now and still have 6" springs to put in so I should be tall enough, I'm not sure about backspacing though.

I have the wider rear axle, and planned on spacing the front.

What is the difference between the the spacers that you use for the ifs hubs and regular wheel spacers ? beside the price.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 44's for freeeeeee
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »
the ifs hub spacer on a SA makes the wms wider from the inside of the hub i guess, the bolton spacer makes it wider from the regular wms... you could do both and be a huge amount wider

BUT I THINK IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN THAT BIG OF A TIRE YOU NEED TO GO WITH FULLSIZE FULLWIDTH AXLES!!!!!

Toyota axles are strong, but I don't think you can make them 44x18.5-19.5 strong --- or what gearing you would use to move those....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »
I got a set of 44" s for free, one of my customers decided he didn't want to run tall tires anymore. The tires have like 150 miles on them and went through 21 mud pits with 19 wins. It's a pair of 44 19.5 15 boggers and a pair of 44 18.5 15 TSL"s .

I'm going to go with 12" wheels and double bead locks, found some weld on beadlocks on ebay for cheep, So since the tires will be off road only, plus the wheel will end up almost 15" wide.

These tires are just unreal I'm still new to this, still on my first build, I had planned on running 35"s, these are huge.

I have quite a bit of lift on my truck now and still have 6" springs to put in so I should be tall enough, I'm not sure about backspacing though.

I have the wider rear axle, and planned on spacing the front.

What is the difference between the the spacers that you use for the ifs hubs and regular wheel spacers ? beside the price.

I think the IFS hubs keep a better relationship between the stresses on the bearings and the wider stance...if that made any sense. Look at how each option actually works and you'll see what I mean.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:37:44 PM »
I have a pair of e-lockers yukon 4:88's with solid pinion spacers, 30 spline longs and all the bearings. Still have to get the rears. vented l/c rotors at all 4 wheels going with the chevy 1 ton m/c.

I think I will have to use both spacers for the 44"s.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »
I have a pair of e-lockers yukon 4:88's with solid pinion spacers, 30 spline longs and all the bearings. Still have to get the rears. vented l/c rotors at all 4 wheels going with the chevy 1 ton m/c.

I think I will have to use both spacers for the 44"s.

I'm not going to tell you not to do that, but...
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
I don't see a problem running both spacers for a few reasons.

1) the inner spacer has nothing to do with it, all it does is alow the use of ifs hubs on the solid axle, the spacing is for the brake rotor

So the inner spacer is irrelivant

2) These wheels / tires will be off road only, so the only time the spacers would be on the truck would be only when these tires were on

3) everyone here say's the 30 spline longfield axles are the s--t
I also have the chromo hub gears

4) As for power and gearing I don't think that will be a problem for tha small block ford or the nv4500 W/ dual yota cases,

Thats why I went with the 4:88's

5) I have a d60 rear for the truck still lookin for the front.

6) from what I have learned so far it's not so much what you run as much as how you run.

7) two words LIFETIME WARRANTY

I'm building my truck as bullet proof as possable and it's still going to break, thats all part of the fun,

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »
I got some pic's,

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:11:17 AM »
I don't see a problem running both spacers for a few reasons.

1) the inner spacer has nothing to do with it, all it does is alow the use of ifs hubs on the solid axle, the spacing is for the brake rotor

So the inner spacer is irrelivant

It is relevent because you are gonna bend your knuckles and axle with that much tire spaced that far out. It may not be an issue with small tires or stock tires but when you move the wheels out that much it is increasing the leverage on the axle and with those huge tires you are gonna have problems.

3) everyone here say's the 30 spline longfield axles are the s--t
I also have the chromo hub gears

4) As for power and gearing I don't think that will be a problem for tha small block ford or the nv4500 W/ dual yota cases,

Thats why I went with the 4:88's

7) two words LIFETIME WARRANTY

Longfields are the best, but Bobby will tell you flat out you need fullsize axles. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't warranty your broken parts if he finds out what you are running. With a small block Ford you will have just enough power to spin the tires and completely destroy your entire drivetrain. There is no hope of your front axle surviving 4 cylinder power, let alone V-8 power. Even if your axle shafts survive, you are gonna break ring gears. Lifetime warranty isn't gonna help you when you are broke down and blocking the trail, making the hundred people trapped behind you homicidal. Toyotas work good when they are all, or mostly Toyota. The more Toyota you remove from your truck, the worse it is gonna work. All those parts frequently break with 22r motors, good luck with 4 more cylinders  :twocents:
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:19:03 PM »
I'm still looking for a dana 60 front, The whole thing about running the 44's
I was planning on running 35's on the road without the outter spacers.

I still don't see how the inner spacer makes any difference, all it does is line up the caliper and rotor with the ifs hub.
So I can match rear axle width with the hub instead of a wheel spacer.
if anything I think that would be better.

And yes I could bend knuckles or break spindles, it is an expencive hobby.

besides even with dana's the small block would still break them.
the toyota axles are going to end up in my 91

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
I'm still looking for a dana 60 front, The whole thing about running the 44's
I was planning on running 35's on the road without the outter spacers.

I still don't see how the inner spacer makes any difference, all it does is line up the caliper and rotor with the ifs hub.
So I can match rear axle width with the hub instead of a wheel spacer.
if anything I think that would be better.

And yes I could bend knuckles or break spindles, it is an expencive hobby.

besides even with dana's the small block would still break them.
the toyota axles are going to end up in my 91

The inner spacer does line up the rotors, but you only use them when you run IFS hub bodies, which do add about 2" or so of spacing.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

dieselsmoke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:35:12 PM »
I don't like wheel spacers, thats why I was going to use the ifs hubs, so the spacer wouldn't be between the wheel.

Budd gave me the tires and said he wanted to see them on my yota, I told him I would have to eat the ticket, he said he would pay it.

I could always wish for a set of zf axles.