Author Topic: rear axle question  (Read 1570 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
rear axle question
« on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
I just put a IFS rear axle under my 85 and it looks like the top of the tires are leaning in toward eachother like  //==<>==\\   (but not that extreme), I don't know why or what to do about it. please help thanks Cody
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: rear axle question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
Put it up on jacks.
Put a staple in the center of both tires.
Measure the distance from staple to staple in various positions (top,bottom,front,back)
That will tell you if your housing is bent...well, kinda. :hammer:

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2007, 08:10:48 PM »
If they are truly cambered like that, the housing is bent. Since these are semifloating axles, bent housing = lost wheel (eventually)

'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »
I am not sure if it is bent but I will look. I do have 2 inch bs rims could that have anything to do with it cause my tire does hang way out there. I am on 37x14.50 toyos so like my tire do stick way out there maybe thats why my seal went out too???
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2007, 12:37:47 AM »
wheel bearings may be toast, housing bent, or maybe even a broken axle shaft.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2007, 12:59:47 AM »
maybe thats why my seal went out too???
I would check for a bad bearing first. If the bearing is ok, make sure the axle doesn't have a deep groove in it where the seal contacts it. If that looks good then put a seal in it and run it.

Also if you wanna check for a bent housing you might wanna try this:

1)  jack up rear axle and set jack stands under housing. Let housing rest on stands.

2)  use a light colored spray paint and paint near the center of the tire tread while spinning the tire
                        to paint a 1" wide line on the tires entire circumference.

3)  with the paint still wet. Spin the tire again and use something (a block of wood on the ground with the
                        sharp end of a screw or nail against the tire tread will do. Be creative here, something a bit springy will
                        help with the tread bumpiness) to scribe a line in the wet paint. Again, not important to be in the center
                        of the tire tread.
                       (note: the scribed lines ends should meet and appear to be straight while spinning the tire)

4)  now do the other tire the same way. does not have to be exactly like the first one just marked all
                        the way around.

5)  Now you have 2 reference points that are vertical with the wheel flanges and you have also eliminated any
                        wheel run out in your measurements. Also, you will have noticed by now, if you have anything else that
                        might be bent.

6)  Now you can start measuring the points at the top and bottom (of the tire) to compare the distances.
                        or front and back depending on your suspicions of the distortion.

I don't think I've ever seen a spec on this but I'll venture a guess at anything less than 1/8 of an inch different would probably be runnable...just a guess!

Oh and by the way, this is how you can also set your toe on the front end. Just measure front and back side of the tire and adjust your tie rod till you got what you're looking for. hope this helps!  :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007, 08:44:46 AM by fordh8r »