Author Topic: Is this normal? Plus knuckle rebuild questions.  (Read 13891 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
twistedtoy92- The ball is in there. Bearing preload is at 14, I bought the pull scale. It rotates nice and smooth.

Volcom- 1. I think I will first see if i can get one for free from the junkyard. Ifs & solid axle cone washers should be the same, I assume.

2. I had a friend telling me what to torque it to, so it could be 23 in-lbs, I will have to verify what he told me. we were in a rush, and he might have overlooked it. But in/lb would make sence. I am thinking about drilling it out about half way down, tap it with a very small left hand thread tap, and keep spinning the tap until the bolt backs out. I have no idea if this will work though. Or if there is such thing as a small left hand tap.

3. If the bolt that is in there fails, helicoil will be my next option, if I can find one.

4. I packed the birf, and put grease all around the knuckle so that the bearings will stay lubricated well. I also packed alot around the birfield. I left a small gap, about an inch wide, all the way around between the birfield and the knuckle. I really hope that I didn't put too much in, because I really don't want to pull this thing all apart again.

Thanks!

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
4. I packed the birf, and put grease all around the knuckle so that the bearings will stay lubricated well. I also packed alot around the birfield. I left a small gap, about an inch wide, all the way around between the birfield and the knuckle. I really hope that I didn't put too much in, because I really don't want to pull this thing all apart again.

Not the grease in the knuckle (sounds like you got that greased just fine :) ), grease in the actual hub body.  I took my hubs completely apart and cleaned them up.  I put them back together and put too much grease in them.  Once I bolted them to the axle, I couldn't turn the dial. 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
good deal!!! sounds like you are on the right track
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Volcom- Oh, ok, now i understand. lol, I wasn't getting it. I did put some in it, but not a whole bunch. I just greased what needs to move, like the FSM told me to. It has become easier to turn since then.

twistedtoy92- Thanks for the words of encouragement!

See ya all later! I am off for the weekend! :wave:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Alright. It turns out that the bolt that I broke holding the hub dial deal on is supposed to be tightened to 7 ft-lbs. I have no idea where my bud got 23 ft-lbs, but at least I will know for when I do the pass side. Thanks goes out to all that have helped me complete this! When I do the passenger side I will probably take pics. Also, if I win the rebuild kit this month, it will be going to Glen for his help on my knuckle rebuild. I am sure you all know what happened, and he needs it more than I do. Once again, Thanks!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I finally figured out what was causing my truck to pull. I mentioned it in my first post, I think. Anyways, I was driving to dinner tonight, and the Toy was feeling REALLY gutless. So when I got back from dinner, I lifted the rear axle off of the ground, and guess what? One of my drums was almost completely locked up. So I struggled with it in the dark for a couple of hours, and I got it all cleaned out and properly adjusted and put back together. Now my parking brake no longer works. I already had it adjusted all the way in before I had this little incedent, and it only kind of worked then. So, what should I do to get my parking brake working again? Do I need a new cable, or what? It does have an ifs rear axle in, if that makes a difference. I guess I will just put the truck in reverse & low range when parked for now. That is assuming that reverse is lower than first gear. Thanks in advance for any help!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Alright, the e-brake is kind of working now. I don't understand what is up with it. :dunno: Any ideas?