Author Topic: Record Crowd In Sf Bay Area Says National Forest Trail Plan Is Flawed  (Read 2511 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC
NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: 925.625.6287
Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
Date: August 6, 2007

RECORD CROWD IN SF BAY AREA SAYS NATIONAL FOREST TRAIL PLAN IS FLAWED

PLEASANT HILL, CA (Aug. 2) - A record crowd of off-road recreationists and public land users objected to a federal trail plan that threatens to close 75% of off-highway vehicle (OHV) routes on forest lands in the Sierra Nevada. On August 2, over 350 concerned citizens attended a public meeting in Pleasant Hill, California, to review the newly released Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for motorized travel management on the Eldorado National Forest.

Members of the OHV community spoke up in strong protest to the Forest Service's proposed plan to close over 1,000 miles of popular jeep roads and dirt-bike trails.
Trail enthusiasts stated that many of their favorite routes in the remote backcountry would be closed if the Forest Service follows through with this draft plan.

Don Amador, Western Representative for the BlueRibbon Coalition, a national trail recreation advocacy group, stated, "This is certainly the largest OHV access-related meeting in California that I have attended since starting with the Coalition in the early 1990s. The record crowd was informed and highly motivated. It is clear they care deeply about their continued access to and active management of federal forest lands. They also understand that the Eldorado National Forest is just the tip of the route planning iceberg."

"For the last few years, the OHV community has shared concerns about the route inventory and designation process in California. We are particularly concerned, after seeing the Eldorado draft plan, with the value the public has received from more than 8 million dollars of state 'green-sticker' OHV trust funds supposedly applied to this effort," Amador concluded.

At present, public comments on the Eldorado DEIS are due on September 4, 2007. The BlueRibbon Coalition has submitted a formal request for the agency to issue a supplemental EIS to address certain errors in the plan. View a copy of this document at http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/P...L_08.02.07.pdf.

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but this is great right? :disturbed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile

WHOA!!!! that is EXCELLENT!!!  :cheer:  you guys are doing a GREAT JOB!!!  :bowdown:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
N I C E

I've got lots of pictures and video I need to edit and put up still :thud:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I was there.. I left more pissed off than when I came

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
I was there.. I left more pissed off than when I came

when i brake a u joint on the trail dude I am pissed off, but when I get my tools out and get my knowledge out and other peoples knowledge out WE get it fixed and WE go on.  You cant just bring the trailer onto the trail pack up your rig and leave.  You understand what I am saying?  Help us out send in letters, go on some Forest Service runs we got coming up.  Come on UK I have seen your rig you didnt build it overnight.  And I am sure you ran into some problems. But you pulled thru and built yourself a badass rig :thumbs:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
A large showing by the public to Foresdt service meetings like this is good, but it doesn't have any real impact on the Forest services final decision making.  They have to listen to the publics input, but don't have to adopt any of it.  They can claim none of the trails can be added due to their inability to maintain them, or that they are to degraded to repair to return to public use, or they have been mistreated by the public.  The only way we can pressure them into adopting trails is either through suing, or by pressuring our elected federal representatives.  We can negate the nmoney/maintainance issue by getting Congress to fund the Forest Service more, one of the most underfunded areas of federal government.  Getting clubs to adopt trails/or sections, who do a monthly clean-up runs will help reduce the problems that a growing number of our community is causing.  The percentage of jack-offs out there might be the same as 20yrs ago, but the amount of individuals tearing up the trail is larger.  I think there needs to be higher fines and a bounty paid for turning in those tearing up the trail.  It is getting less safe to confront these morons on the trail today than in the past, so a lot of people are unwilling to say something when they see it happening.  A bounty shouldn't be necessary, but obviously some form of incentive is.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod