Author Topic: Backup Light, I know this is old but please help!  (Read 1155 times)

johnyreb69

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Backup Light, I know this is old but please help!
« on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
Hi i know this question has been asked a trillion times but i have an 86 4Runner and i swapped out the auto tranny for a 5speed some time back but now i want to hook up the backup lights, i have followed Marlin's instructions  i found in the forum from 2004

"When you unplugged the neutral safety switch pigtails [above the starter], you need to jump the two biggest wires togeather. I think they are white?

To locate the backup light circut, begin by turning the key to the on position and using a test light, probe the plugs untill you locate the only hot wire. [i recall it being a smaller wire in a plug that only had three wires.] This will be the power for the backup light circut. Next, with the key off, i ran a wire from the battey positive terminal, carefully to the other wires untill the backup lights came on and then ran both wires to the back up light switch.   I am sorry i dont recall the wire colors.

The tail lights have nothing to do with the neutral safety switch. They did light up the auto shift indicator light. Do you have crossed wires in the cab?

Marlin"

but i cannot find the 'hot' wire so to speak i have a few shots of my looms, the first shot is of all the wires which hand freely by thestarter, i know the loom with 5-6 wires is the connection to the old auto tranny i have the neutral switch shorted so it starts. The other loom has three wires the thin blue wire, and 2 big wires a white and a black. I ran power directly to all three wires and the thin blue wire when powered lights the back up lights, the white wire gets the engine to crank, and the black wire does nothing as far as i can tell. Where is the hot wire that i need to send back to the backup switch and is the back up switch the wire coming out the tranny? Any help would be appreciated! many thanks and again sorry for the old subject.
-- Fear is our only enemy
    Stand tall in the face of your enemies
    And you will conquer --

Bernabe Frank Rodriguez, EIT (Thats Me!)

johnyreb69 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello? anyone out there?   :help: do i need to test the loom for the old transmission?
-- Fear is our only enemy
    Stand tall in the face of your enemies
    And you will conquer --

Bernabe Frank Rodriguez, EIT (Thats Me!)