Author Topic: couple of Q's about a possible purchase  (Read 1562 times)

randito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
couple of Q's about a possible purchase
« on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
Tonight I looked at an 80 pickup that was in fair shape and ran well. 

#1  The owner said that approximately half the mileage on the odometer was due to it being towed behind an RV.  I remember that the proper way to tow a toyota is with the driveshaft removed, otherwise something isn't getting lube.  But I don't remember what?

#2 I'm also wondering if it's possible to swap tilt steering into a vehicle that didn't originally come with it?  How about power steering?

#3  Lastly, if I do a compression check on the 20r, would I be looking for the same range as with a 22r, 170-140? 

Thanks for any help!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: couple of Q's about a possible purchase
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »
#1  :yikes:

#2  yes  on both counts

#3    140  is  a good   shot,   do the test and post the numbers
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2007, 08:28:40 AM »
the tcase or tranny doesnt get lubed (dont remember which one) when flat towed, unless there is a full float rear end with unlocking hubs or a dual stick conversion on a 4x4

was this truck you are looking @ 4x4 or 4x2, if its a 4x2, then there isnt an issue if it was in nuetral otehr than spinning the odometer

you can swap in power steering to a non power steering equipped vehicle as well as a tilt column

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

randito [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.  The truck is a 4x4 and and was towed approximately 90k.  Which is sounds like could mean replacing the tranny or t-case in the near future, but then again not that much wear on the rest of the drive train.  I may go take another look at it tomorrow and see about doing a compression test.  Any ideas on how to check out the tranny/t-case for wear other that just general feel while driving?  Thanks again.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »
i have almost 200k on my t cases and tranny. they should be good to go for a while

DRew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2007, 09:52:43 AM »
if the gears work fine, it should be allright, i have seen tcase gears strip due to low oil... but it would be immediately apparent if it didnt work.... you should be ok.... i havent started my truck yet, but i towed it in gear, there was no motor and i couldnt find where the N was, now that everything is hooked up, it feels liek it shifts fine... i guess we will see when i try to start it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2007, 10:39:24 AM »
Not true, you can tow a Toyota without removing the ds. Most people like myself do it only to reduce the wear and tear that does occur when the ds is spinning the tcase. I have towed it at times without dropping the ds when I've been too tired or lazy. Even the owners manual says you can do it, but when you throw in specialized tcases you want to protect your investment so dropping the ds is only natural. If you were to put the tcase in neutral you could leave the trans in gear with no issues the only thing spinning is the tailshaft.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you