Author Topic: broken down again  (Read 2214 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
broken down again
« on: Jul 18, 2007, 04:33:06 PM »
well i was driving the truck today and it was running great until all of a sudden i felt some spuddering. I came back home and started checking it out. Eventually i got to the compression check and number 2 has 30psi. All other cylinderss are 150. Just a reminder i just had a valve job, new cam and timing chain. Im guessing the problem is my bottom end this time? Its not knocking or anything. valves are adjusted right timing is on. I just cant win with this truck, now i guess ill just pull it out and build the whole thing. If anybody has any opinions on what the problem could be that would be great, thanks.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: broken down again
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »
sounds like bad piston rings
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »
Squirt a bit of oil in the low cylinder and recheck the compression, if it is rings it should come up.
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
Ok thanks, ill try that. I  knew the bottom end would go soon anyway. So lets hear some cool ideas for building a motor. I would like to use my head and EB 268 cam but i want to build somthing with some pep :gap:. When i got the valve job i bough all new stock sized valves, so that was probably a waste of money if i want to get over sized valves, maybe i could find somebody that needs some. Id really like a top end motor but yet still have some decent torque off idle. Ill do some searching and figure somthing out. Thanks for the help.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »
So you put a new top end on an old and tired bottom end? The increased compression(ie, not leaking past valves) blew out you rings. How many miles on the engine total?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »
So you put a new top end on an old and tired bottom end?
I don't see a problem with that, my motor runs fine! :laugh:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
I don't see a problem with that, my motor runs fine! :laugh:

yeaaaaahhh.  So, tell us, why did you twist your driveshaft(not b/c of poor spotting, either) :greengrin:

[endhijack]

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2007, 09:24:45 PM »
yeaaaaahhh.  So, tell us, why did you twist your driveshaft(b/c of poor spotting) :greengrin:

[endhijack]
Fixed it for ya :greengrin:

Zoomschwortz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »
Ok thanks, ill try that. I  knew the bottom end would go soon anyway. So lets hear some cool ideas for building a motor. I would like to use my head and EB 268 cam but i want to build somthing with some pep :gap:. When i got the valve job i bough all new stock sized valves, so that was probably a waste of money if i want to get over sized valves, maybe i could find somebody that needs some. Id really like a top end motor but yet still have some decent torque off idle. Ill do some searching and figure somthing out. Thanks for the help.

My engine now has 350 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. It runs great, has a lot more power than it ever did before and has no bad habits. It behaves like a stock engine, but more power. The one thing that may be objectionable to some, is the fact that it is louder than stock with it's LC header, 2 1/4 exhaust and "Flowsound muffler.

It is a 22RE with a.040" overbore, self ported EB RV head with large Ferrea valves ( checked them with a caliper and if I remember correctly intake was 47mm exhaust was 39mm) LC header, LC .400" lift x 320 @ .050" duration, large LC throttlebody, large Crossover pipe, K&N replacement air filter with added holes in the front and driver side of the airbox, New EB crank and rods, EB gasket kit but I used an LC .040" headgasket, and oil scraper for the crank.

The piston have a 5cc dish and stick out of the bore .015" so the piston to head clearance is .025" which gives me plenty of quench. The entire rotating assembly has been balanced and the flywheel is now about 6 lbs lighter than stock and I bought a Centerfore Dual friction clutch/pressure plate kit. I have been driving clutched vehicles since I bought my 1st truck when I was in 5th grade way back in the 60's. I can honestly say, this is the smoothest clutch I have ever used. Very light pedal and no grabbing what so ever. My wife loves it and it is supposed to be a 95% improvement in holding power.

The engine is very snappy, my bottom end is way better than before, despite the porting and large valves and it seems to run fine on regular gas, but I will go up a grade on my next tank.

There is a long steep hill near my home that has a 55 mph speed limit and about 100 yards up, it has a truck lane. With the former engine I would hit the bottom of the hill at 60mph and clear the top in 3rd gear at 50mph.

With this engine, that is still breaking in, (so I haven't reved it over 4500 rpm and spend very little if an time a full throttle) I cleared this same hill Wednesday evening at 65 mph and I was behind a Semi doing in the area of 40-45 mph before I could get around him.

By the way, I am running 31" 10.50" tires and 4.11 gears at the present time but plan on switching to 4.56 or 4.88 gears in the future when I add my new E-Locker.

In short, I couldn't be happier, well maybe if I would have gone the blower route.

Take care.
Ken
89 Ext. Cab, 22re 5 speed, 31"10.50/15"
84 Ext. Cab 22R, 5 speed, 31" 10.50/15"

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
The bottem end only has around 160,000. 

Ken, sounds like I have alot of research to do before ill ever figure out hwo i want to build th motor. What you have sounds just about to my liking though. I would love to drive this truck on the road 2 or 3 days out of the week ya know, without having somebody riding my but becuase i cant top 40 up a hill. And for hunting i need to drive about 30 miles and back(thats what the truck is built for). So i want it to be dependable and act good on the hwy. I think if i go with an EB head, bore it .40 over with brand new pistons and such i shouldbe fine. 

what did it cost you to get the motor balanced if you dont mind me asking? Thanks for the help.

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
take that valve cover off and see if the keepers popped off.
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
Im about to go do that right now. The truck still cranks and runs with pretty good power, im thinking its gotta be a valve, even though just had a valve job, but stuff happends. ILl keep everyone posted.

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2007, 04:31:11 PM »
Valves look good as far as i can tell. Did a wet dry test. Dry the compression was 30 psi, wet was 60psi....