Author Topic: New engine update!  (Read 2208 times)

Zoomschwortz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New engine update!
« on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
I have a little over 300 miles on my new engine and it is doing great. It has way more power than my last engine.

There is a hill near my house with a 55 mph speed limit and an extra lane for Semi and log trucks. With the old engine, if I hit the bottom of the hill at 60 mph, I would clear the top at 50 mph in 3rd gear. Yesterday I was stuck behind some guy that was doing 40 mph at the bottom of the hill so I wasn't able to pass him until we were up the hill a 100 yards or so and the truck lane started.

With out going over 4500 rpm and not even giving full throttle, I cleared the top at 65 mph :driving:

The engine is a .040" over 22RE, self ported (said to be equal to LC Stage 3) EB RV head with large Ferrea valves, Chevy Luv dual valve springs and 61cc chambers, 5cc dished piston to head clearance is .025", pistons stick out of the block .015" and I'm using a .040" LC head gasket, ARP head studs and rod bolts, larger T.B., LC header, LC cam .440 lift x 230 dur @.050",  lightend flywheel, Dual Friction Centerforce clutch and pressure plate, 2 1/4 exhaust with Flow Sound muffler and a modified Flexalite 180 3300cfm electric fan and using Delo 15w-40 oil.

I hit full throttle every once in a while but still haven't turned higher than 4500 rpm and it is still pulling when I let of the gas. I want a few more miles on the engine and then I'll try 5500 or 6000 rpm.

I really like the fan because it helps the engine warm up faster but really cools it down fast when it kicks in.

Take care.
Ken
89 Ext. Cab, 22re 5 speed, 31"10.50/15"
84 Ext. Cab 22R, 5 speed, 31" 10.50/15"

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: New engine update!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »
Nice, sounds like you did a good job.. did you rebuild her yourself?

military_stang
:respect:

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:51:26 AM »
Nice, sounds like you did a good job.. did you rebuild her yourself?

military_stang

Yes I did.
I wish I would have had a spare engine to rebuild because it took almost 2 months to get all of the machining done, not to mention all the time it takes to assemble, measure, disassemble, machine etc. So far it was worth it.

I may do another engine for the 84 pickup using a 20 head next.

One thing that supprised me is I really don't notice much if any difference in bottom end power. The way people were talking about losing the bottem end if I ported and added large valves, I thought it was going to be a dog and it isn't. I did lighten the flywheel though. so no doubt that had to help.

Another thing is, I didn't know what to expect with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. I thought it would be grabby, but, it isn't. It is supposed to hold something like 95% more power, but, it couldn't be smoother or lighter when engaging and disengaging.

Take care.
Ken

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »
nice! i wish i had that kind of set up in my truck. i still got a bunch of power gain just from a newly rebuilt head and new rings on my 84 22R though. i actually thought about getting an LC or other cam and headers though just for kicks and giggles. a performance wouldn't be bad either.
lets not and say we did.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:52:05 AM »
I wanna  do some performance mods to my 3.slow, but i don't even know where to start....

military_stang

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
The head porting, as long as you don't get carried away, is easy, takes about 10 hours to do and costs very little for the sanding cones. The larger valves cost $150-$200 plus the cost of machining.

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
I wanna  do some performance mods to my 3.slow, but i don't even know where to start....

military_stang

somewhere i was reading that there really isn't all that much you can do to get power out of a 3.slow. but my brother put a jacobs ignition in his and it's a lot better than before. he got  a mileage master i believe and his power and mileage went up. but now his battery is a bit over used and he blew his headgasket but that is the 3.slow problem too.
lets not and say we did.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »
somewhere i was reading that there really isn't all that much you can do to get power out of a 3.slow. but my brother put a jacobs ignition in his and it's a lot better than before. he got  a mileage master i believe and his power and mileage went up. but now his battery is a bit over used and he blew his headgasket but that is the 3.slow problem too.

Jacobs ignition ??? Mileage master ??? Where do you find these??

military_stang

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2007, 03:21:46 PM »

military_stang

If I were you, I would keep your eyes open for a rebuildable core engine and slowly go through it.

I can't help but think that you can pick up some cheap (if you do it yourself) power by cleaning up the ports on the heads. I don't know what the ports for your engine look like, but, if they look like conventional V-8 heads and not like the 22R heads with the ramp under the valve, you should be able to pick up some good power by pocket porting and cleaning up the intake and exhaust runners. If you get larger valves, that will cost more, but, should add some more power.

As far as porting goes, if the do look like conventional V-8 heads, you kind find all kinds of information for porting them. Assuming that the vast majority of your time is spent on the road, you should consider getting your flywheel lightend and adding an electric fan.

In my experience, the key to better horse power is in the head. The better it flows and fewer imperfections the better power it will make. Unfortunately most people will change or modify everything but the head. If you have a little extra to spend and don't want to tackle the porting yourself, I have heard a lot of good things about Tim @ DOA.

Another option is a blower. I have one that I will be adding to my 68 Fastback and when I see what others have done with their blown fuel injected Mustangs, it is impressive how much power you can make and still have good gas mileage if you spend your money on a blower before buying anything else for your engine and an added bonus of a blower over a turbo is it is easy to remove (and keep) if you sell your truck.

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2007, 02:45:37 PM »
Sounds like a great motor that you've obviously taken your time on.
Like you, I believe that one of the main limits of the motor is the head.  Tim at DOA does a great job porting these heads and will provide you with flow data after porting.  Ted (engnbldr) also has a son that does this work, but I've never seen it first hand.
It's pretty easy to clean up the intake ports on a 22RE, but I leave the bowl porting to the experts.
These things are designed for low end torque, so it's hard to completely kill the results of a really long stroke.

My understanding is that with .5mm valves there isn't much of a downside.  At 1mm, you may lose torque - and again - this is the desktop dyno talking, but we're talking about a slight loss in a range where you're not producing a lot of power anyway.  Using Engnbldr's stuff, I've never had anything but improvement over the whole RPM range, but that that's against a well used motor.

Blowers.. I don't like the blower design or results from using the Camden (LCEngineering) supercharger on the 22R...  It's simply too inefficient.  Never run it on the 22RE.  It'd be great on a trail truck where you don't have mileage concerns, but I don't like it much for street use.