Author Topic: Fullsize Bronco replacement(2rz swap finally)  (Read 76622 times)

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Ill try and get some reports back on how it does since the 2rzs are always looked down on here. Its a rev monster for sure and I can bury my foot the floor and it just keeps going. I feel some WOT assults on waterfalls coming my way! :beer:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
I feel some WOT assults on waterfalls coming my way! :beer:

Sick!!!  Get some video of that :)
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
finally got to wheel it. does much better then the 22re. noticable power increase and changed the way Im able to drive. all choices of gears have changed due to the obvious difference in power. throttle response is much better as well. in 2wd to and from the trailhead I would typically run with the front case in to have power, now I can leave it all in high range and have more then enough power to get around up and down hills without dropping the cases in.

cant wait to wheel it some more but got a little work to do after this

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Holy crap bro. lol
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Where did you do that at? It's been waaaaay too hot to wheel lately?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
That's impressive as hell, Dustin!!!  :beerchug:

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Where did you do that at? It's been waaaaay too hot to wheel lately?

yeah its been hot but night wheeling is not too bad. We started about 7pm or so and after 3 out of 4 rigs flopped along with running 3 trails we got home around 4am. so it was a long night but fun as hell!

That's impressive as hell, Dustin!!!  :beerchug:

the worst part was the hydrod motor after being on its side for a while. tried to blow the holes out after we winched it half way back over but it was still too steep of an angle, had to winch the roof down and back and the front forward and sideways to get to flat ground. cleared the holes and fired her up. I was more upset about the mess of oil I had to clean up

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I didn't think about that. Glad your motor is okay. That would suck hard after the swap  :smack:

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
no more windshield... :eek:

cage repair and additions was kinda  pita but got it done. time to do it again!

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
no more windshield... :eek:
Only a matter of time, huh?! Looks good, Dustin!

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
yeah just not much time. only a few months that I had the windshield in it. wont do that again. ha. cool while it lasted tho and its seem to spawn a trend as I know a couple other guys building something similar. granted it would have lasted longer if I didnt hit that rock as hard as I did and in that location. after getting into the cage repair I found most tweeks here and there then I thought I had. actually bent the roof down in that corner. I cut pretty much all the bent peices out and sleaved in new stuff

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
motor is doing well so far but really only had it out twice since the swap....for me the cost vs benefits was worth the time and effort to swap it. runs much better then the tired ol 22e.

tested out my new cage work.

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
motor is doing well so far but really only had it out twice since the swap....for me the cost vs benefits was worth the time and effort to swap it. runs much better then the tired ol 22e.

tested out my new cage work.

I have never seen a toyota not fall into that groove... Ive seen quite a few full widths walk it though. How did you get out?
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
You may have mentioned it before, I must have missed it. But is there a name to this trail and where in AZ is it?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I have never seen a toyota not fall into that groove... Ive seen quite a few full widths walk it though. How did you get out?

it can be done in a toyota but you have to be perfect in everything you do. one wrong move and in she goes. I could have actually kept driving but was getting hung up on the front section of the cage. I winched and drove out with no issues. full widths are ideal here but the fun is in the notch not on top of it! :driving:

You may have mentioned it before, I must have missed it. But is there a name to this trail and where in AZ is it?

its martinez out in FJ

went out again this weekend and busted my knuckle studs off the driverside. that was fun :screwy: Gotta get that back together ASAP

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
been what 8 months since my 2rz was installed? Its running great and not one single issue with it. I love the power over the old 22re. I take that back I had to replace the contacts in the starter for 20bucks but that was a simple fix. still looking from someone with a similar rig with a 3rz to compare to but not too worried about it as Im down with how the 2rz runs, Ive been able to snap rear axles shafts pretty easy with it!

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Are u running chromo rear shafts? I managed to break the stock t case output but the alloy rear shafts have held up real well.

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
no running stocks. im scared of the aftermarkets since it seems people break them just as often and when they let go they splinter and take out lockers,R&P etc.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
no running stocks. im scared of the aftermarkets since it seems people break them just as often and when they let go they splinter and take out lockers,R&P etc.

True, i havent heard of a alloy usa or ten factory shaft breaking yet but im sure its been done. i know Uriel wasnt very thrilled with his chromo trail gear shafts.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
True, i havent heard of a alloy usa or ten factory shaft breaking yet but im sure its been done. i know Uriel wasnt very thrilled with his chromo trail gear shafts.

There's the problem  :eyebrow:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Dustin, how's it goin? Glad to hear you're still wheelin' the piss outta that!

I'm scared to ask, but is the rear third still holdin' up?

Let's see some more pics!

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
yeah man wheeling every chance I get but so far this year its a been a little limited. Im trying to get my fix in before it gets too hot which is in about a month. I got my spring back together and another axle in so it should be ready to rock and roll for some wheeling this weekend if I dont get stuck working

Rear third is still going strong, knock on wood have not had an issue with it at all. Ive broke both shafts with it now and its held up fine. besides a few bolts getting lose from bashing rocks but thats not biggy

my next mod might be tubing the front as Ive damn near ripped the hood off last time out. then again Im talking about building a full buggy now too so who knows. That will be a long term project.

couple pictures from azrocks

really need to learn not to fall in these notches, sad part is Ive driven this one before, It was a off day to say the least. Same trail ate the spring and shaft

notice rear leafs are not too happy in this picture either...damn I just need to link this biatch

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I threw this together real fast before azrocks a couple weeks ago too. Ive broke a case by hitting a rock with the other pos I had up there. this should help prevent that.

swings down for access

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Dustin, that's awesome! You really are wheelin' the piss outtta that thing!

Thanks for the pics. I'd love to live where you do. Those rocks look sexy  :love:

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Dustin, that's awesome! You really are wheelin' the piss outtta that thing!

Thanks for the pics. I'd love to live where you do. Those rocks look sexy  :love:

I love the wheeling here, we are in danger of losing alot of fun trails in the near future however. Some we have already lost due to a new private property parcel