Author Topic: CAT stolen 4runner  (Read 4308 times)

toysfreak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 227
  • Male Posts: 632
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
CAT stolen 4runner
« on: Jun 28, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
  Mt 95 4runner,  2nd gen,  had the catylitic converter stolen off of my truck a week ago.  I am on 33's, and plenty of clearance for the S O B, to go under there and unbolt it,  leaving all the hardware for me to see.  But that was after I had started the runner,  to hear it straight pipe.  In Burbank CA.   A BIG HEADS UPPPPPP
95 4 runner. 4 cyl dual ultimate w. R150.  V6 rear w spool.  New Chevy springs on 12" extended frame.      Front.  SAS w chromoly shafts.  And spartan    In frazier park ca 93225

Lopz 4Xs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: CAT stolen 4runner
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »
Check this out.......    TO ALL TOYOTA OWNERS's

Catalytic Converters are Being STOLEN !! It was on the News.

My  Catalytic Converter in my Daily driver 1992 4runner Was STOLEN out of the Truck !! and I live in a nice neighbor hood . My thief actually left the  Bolts & bracket on the ground

Spoke to my Favorite parts lady, Evidently the Toyota Cat's have Platinum in them. There is a market for these, so the thieves steal them and get Money !!

Don't be a victim

Weld a bar or something on the Exhaust Bolts !! So they cannot remove the bolts !
It's no fun without FAMILY!!!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
this has been ahppening for a long time, welding a bar on the bolts is pretty useless, it prevents us from working on our own trucks if ever we need to. you can also bet a thief can just cut them off, depending on the tool, it can be done quite easily and quiently very quickly
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
Just don't run a cat.........duhh!   :fakeflip:
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007, 09:18:48 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
read this a while back ,   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26106.0;topicseen            weld that mother fuc*er!!  but then they will just cut our pipes and make more work for us.  my exhaust is clean all the way  and that would piss me off.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
this has been ahppening for a long time, welding a bar on the bolts is pretty useless, it prevents us from working on our own trucks if ever we need to. you can also bet a thief can just cut them off, depending on the tool, it can be done quite easily and quiently very quickly

Not much where the cat is in the way :dunno: at least not in my case.  I just welded it on, instead of using the bolts. I could never get it to seal right anyway, so I used that as an excuse.  I know a theif can cut it off still, but it makes it that much harder for the guy that isn't prepared, but has a couple of crescent wrenches in his car, or a socket set.  I just work under the theory of making it harder to steal than the next guys :dunno:  I don't want his to get stolen either, but I'm taking the precautions, and he's not (specific people in my case, I've even warned them, and they dont care.)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »
well said bd.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »
I work at a Toyota dealer in San Diego and have been seeing about 1 a month lately coming in without cats.  It's pretty obvious that these guys are using a cordless reciprocating saw.  How they aren't getting caught is beyond me.  We are seeing Sequoias and Tundra cats being stolen for the most part.  It seems these are worth the most and are easy to crawl underneath.  I think I will hook up some sort of flashing rock lights and a siren to my alarm when I'm done with my project.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2007, 11:52:27 PM »
try hooking up a can of pepper spray on a line to your cat. that way when the theif starts pulling on it the pepper spray will get em.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:02:50 AM »
try hooking up a can of pepper spray on a line to your cat. that way when the theif starts pulling on it the pepper spray will get em.

Somehow I see bad things happening to a pressurized line under high heat :gap: 

guess you could hook the exhaust system up to a wire running from your battery to a switch in your dash.  It'd be a drain (dunno how big)  but could be a  :shocking: experience for anyone cutting on the exhaust

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:16:44 AM »
Somehow I see bad things happening to a pressurized line under high heat :gap: 

guess you could hook the exhaust system up to a wire running from your battery to a switch in your dash.  It'd be a drain (dunno how big)  but could be a  :shocking: experience for anyone cutting on the exhaust

I like that idea! lol

I just put a little bead on the flange so that way I can just take a grinder to it real quik if I ever wanted to take mine off.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:27:57 PM »
I like that idea! lol

I just put a little bead on the flange so that way I can just take a grinder to it real quik if I ever wanted to take mine off.

That's just the thing - These guys aren't even worried about flanges, they  just crawl under your truck with a sawzall and chop it off.  Then they don't have to worry about rusted bolts or anything sticking or stripping.  They definately have some huevos making all that noise and not getting caught.  I mean, I could see maybe a pipe cutter, but they are definately using sawzalls.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »
That's just the thing - These guys aren't even worried about flanges, they  just crawl under your truck with a sawzall and chop it off.  Then they don't have to worry about rusted bolts or anything sticking or stripping.  They definately have some huevos making all that noise and not getting caught.  I mean, I could see maybe a pipe cutter, but they are definately using sawzalls.

I guess it all depends on what kind of area the trucks are in.  In our area, they wouldn't use sawzalls, because the noise would wake people up, and here, they'd come outside.  I know of one case in Vacaville so far, and they took the nuts and bolts of the cat, instead of cutting. 

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Theives count on our laziness.  Years ago my brothers corolla and my pickup were parked next to each other and both were broken into.  Their means of entry were two big rocks which made enough noise for somebody 3 duplexes down to hear while she was outside smoking, she was just too lazy to look further than her cigarette.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:11:25 PM »
Theives count on our laziness.  Years ago my brothers corolla and my pickup were parked next to each other and both were broken into.  Their means of entry were two big rocks which made enough noise for somebody 3 duplexes down to hear while she was outside smoking, she was just too lazy to look further than her cigarette.

:werd: 

-Ronald Reagan

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
The cutting of exhaust with sawzalls is being done in broad daylight at Home Depot and grocery store parking lots down here in San Diego.  I tell you these thieves have GRANDE HUEVOS!

Razincane

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2007, 04:49:35 PM »
 I live in Tulsa OK and just yesterday we had a friend's truck robbed of his catalytic converter- it was a Toyota T100. Downtown in a parking lot with "security" on site. There has also been a rash of these locally in neighborhoods. Pretty crappy that law enforcement can't find who is buying this stuff -it's all supply/demand:(
Nope, he has his own:)

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »
I took mine off and have it sitting on the floor in the garage, if it is worth that much maybe I should just sell it.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
Pretty crappy that law enforcement can't find who is buying this stuff -it's all supply/demand:(

the problem is, it isnt illegal to sell a cat.... therefore, its unregulated... and almost all metal recyclers will buy them....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~