Author Topic: chevy buggy leaf?  (Read 3662 times)

lowbudgetwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Bay Area Urban Wheeler
    • View Profile
chevy buggy leaf?
« on: Apr 07, 2004, 03:13:24 PM »
A buddy of mine is trying to set up a chevy to the stock toyota 4x4 front leaf as a buggy set up. Has anyone ever done a buggy with the 63" chevy springs and if so any quick pointers on what to do.
Low budget with big plans...

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: chevy buggy leaf?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »
We go wheelin with a guy at TSF here in Orygun that runs the Chevy/buggy leaf set up on a 2nd gen 4runner. It does great, I'm running Chevs and double shaqs but couldnt tell you if the buggys are any better. :dunno:

lowbudgetwheeler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Bay Area Urban Wheeler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 08:28:16 PM »
I'm running Chevs and double shaqs

Yea I run the same set up the 2 leaf chev with the chev shackel and the regular lift shackel. I think it is a awesome set up I am in the process of build a trac bar for it.
Low budget with big plans...

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »
The chevy with the buggy leaves flex like mad.  Even better then the double shackle.  My only concern would be goind down a steep hill.  The buggies will want to extend causing the rear end to go over the cab.  I have a few friends that are running them.  If you are planning o nrunning them try to find some way to hold them to the frame when on the road or going down hill.  That is one of the reasons i went with the double shackles.

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2004, 07:34:20 AM »
Im runnin the long allpro's (9" longer than stock - not sure what it works out to be :dunno:), for the buggys im using the main leafs outa 85' toyota P/U(front), the only complaint I have is the axel wrap, Im runnin 10" Bilstiens and they arnt enough, i got a set of rancho 14" for free, I'll try them out to see if I can get more droopage. And I my rig is daily driven, I dont really notice any differnce.

-Anthony
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2004, 07:37:01 AM by YotaYota »
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2004, 12:14:07 AM »
A idiot I use to kow ran a buggy spring with chevy's on bottom and he  had a problem with the real lifting under acceleration  :dunno:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2004, 04:53:46 AM »
Really if you set your chevys up right you don't need the buggy..The buggy is doing all the work of the flex,,not the spring its self..So really you don't need to run the long ass chevy spring if you use a longer shackle and buggy to get your flex..Thats just how I see it..I did away with all that buggy leaf stuff and used my stock toy over load under the chevy spring and cut off the keepers for the pack..The toy overload has the tall keeper in the rear that keeps all the leafs inline and lets the top leaf to flex out real far..I think if you were going to use a buggy leasf you could just make it longer and run a shorter spring and still getthe same flex because the buggy is doing most of the work,,not the spring..Thats just what it seems to me..I think I get the same flex with a shackle chevy spring not then I did with a shorter spring with a buggy...
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

ToyotaMax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2004, 12:55:30 PM »
Seems like I'm kinda late for this one, but..... I run the Chevy's out back with a buggy spring. This setup works really well and flexes like mad. It used to be a daily driver and I had no problems with the setup
85 P/U, 5.29's, ARB's, 5" Skyjacker front w/ shackle, 5" Chevy rear w/ shackle+buggy,in cab cage, Ford shock hoops etc. I WANT CROSSOVER!!!