Author Topic: Apache Trail/4 Peaks Trail  (Read 2014 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Apache Trail/4 Peaks Trail
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:13:39 PM »
I did a tour of the local mountains today north of my house via the Apache Trail, then found another trail called 4 Peaks to go back on. The Apache Trail isn't much to speak of and is basically a fireroad in fact I was having to follow people towing boats! It was supposed to take at least 3 hrs. according to the trail book and we did it in 2 hrs. even with the stupid boats. So I started searching for another trail and found 4 Peaks which runs on the opposite side of the lake that was supposed to be a full day trip, we did it in 2 1/2 hrs. Again since I only have a limited-slip in the rear and not much ground clearance it was an easier trail but I did find a few kicker trails to play on to find out my new truck's limitations. Not much front travel to speak of since the swaybar is still there and the bottom bumpstop is almost touching when it's sitting in my driveway. I did manage to lift a tire and test the rear limited-slip and slip it did so I just added a little more skinny pedal and used the 5.9 to force the issue. Next I found a pretty steep, rutted and loose rock section and gave it a whirl and with my low ground clearance I drug my ass on the approach but still was able to climb to the top. I wouldn't recommend these trails they a pretty boring, on a scale from 1 to 10 1 being the highway and 10 being the Hammer's I'd give the Apache Trail a 2 and 4 Peaks a 3. I wouldn't consider either as a trail, they are just fireroads. I took only 1 picture and even that one wasn't really worth the time, I only took it since I had a tire off the ground.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:43:06 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Apache Trail/4 Peaks Trail
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
sounds exciting! When is the first planned run, I'll come out for it!

:haha:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Apache Trail/4 Peaks Trail
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:14:40 PM »
I bet you would, actually if I had someone to go out with me I would try a little harder trail since I would have someone to help me get out of the trouble I'd try to get into. I'm too skeeerd when I'm alone. :scared:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you