Author Topic: Shackle Angle  (Read 2758 times)

Petzl21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 151
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
Shackle Angle
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:47:22 AM »
Well, i have read a few different things on shackle angle, and i am looking for something a bit more specific, so i am asking ya'all.

I have an 84 4runner.  I just got my marlin 5" kit in the mail today, with 5" shackles up front, and 5.5" shackles in the rear.  The front install is a bit more structured due to I only have to make the new spring hanger cross member flush with the cross member that is on my truck now.  What kind of a shackle angle will that give me?  Is it the best angle for making sure I get all the articulation I can get?

Same goes for the rear?  What is a good angle for max flex.  I know they say to move the rear spring hanger forward 6", and the rear shackle hanger back 1.5-2.5.  I just want to know what people used, and what worked well!  Also, what shackle angle's are in the "danger zone" b/c I would like to avoid that! 

Thanks for your input!   Oh,  :smack: and pics would be great too!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Shackle Angle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »
45 degrees resting. :twocents:

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
in the rear of a 4runner you want the shackle angle a little more vertical due to the weight of the back end of a 4runner.   the best thing to do is just tack it up and see what the angle is and move it to what you think will work.  try to do this with a load that you would take wheelin (spare parts, cooler, spare tire, etc.)
4THEWKN

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks for the response's!  So 45 for the front should be good, and a little less for the rear!  I am just worried if i get that angle, and then the springs settle, it will be over 45 then!  Will that matter to much?  Better more than less!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:01:27 PM »
Sorry, forgot you're talking about new springs.
Set it just before 45 and make sure you have all the weight in that you would normally have on the trail.

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »
45 to me is a little much i would aim for a little closer to 90
4THEWKN

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »
Well i just tacked up the front, and the shackle is sitting at an 85 degree angle towards the rear.  Is that an ok position.  that is with placing the front hanger flush with the cross member, and the short side facing forward.  It looks like it i push the shacke back any more and get closer to a 80-70 degree angle, it will hit the body mount.  I am going to look to set the rear angle around 45-55 degrees or so. 

Does this sound like it will be good for flex (running the 5" marlin kit, with 5" shackles up front and 5.5 in the rear)

i will get some pics up tomorrow!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
Well i just tacked up the front, and the shackle is sitting at an 85 degree angle towards the rear.  Is that an ok position.  that is with placing the front hanger flush with the cross member, and the short side facing forward.  It looks like it i push the shacke back any more and get closer to a 80-70 degree angle, it will hit the body mount.  I am going to look to set the rear angle around 45-55 degrees or so. 

Does this sound like it will be good for flex (running the 5" marlin kit, with 5" shackles up front and 5.5 in the rear)

i will get some pics up tomorrow!
ya that sounds pretty good. pics would help though..at the worst u might have to trim the body mount a bit where the shackle hits once the springs settle
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 06:29:23 PM »
Just install the pregnant dog, don't weld it up, just tac it, and see how it looks and if you think you got a problems take a pic and post.

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 07:16:52 AM »
Here are some pics:

It is sitting right at 85 degrees right now, so when it settles it may sit down to 80 degrees or so.  i may have to trim a bit off the body mount if it hits it when i am stuffing a tire.  What do ya'all think about how she sits right now?

harley1615

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »
I want to point something out in your first pic. I would strongly recommend never to use cinder blocks!!! They are very dangerous and can crumble at anytime. Try to find some solid wood blocks and place a piece of steel between the legs and wood (so the legs don't sink into the wood). I don't want to see anyone get hurt. :attention:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »
looks pretty good to me..also your truck looks like the rear is setting a little lower than the front...remember to take that into account when calculating the angle...it will throw it off a bit.. oh yea x2 on ditching those death blocks  :biggthumpup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
Yea, i gotta get some wood to put under the jack stands! 

You are right that the rear is sitting lower.  i have the tires off, and it is sitting on a rim, so it is only like 8" off the ground!  I don't have the rear lift on yet.  That is going to be mondays project, if the weather permits.

Thanks for the input!