We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Marlin Czajkowski is 1 of 6 inducted into the inaugural TLCA Hall of Fame  (Read 23260 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
From the May/June 2007 edition of the Toyota Trails.....

Toyota Land Cruiser Association Hall of Fame
by Tony Twiddy

During TLCA’s 30th Anniversary in 2006, the TLCA Board of Directors initiated the TLCA Hall of Fame to commemorate and forever recognize key individuals and businesses who have played pivotal roles for the association over the course of its history. We are pleased to introduce you to the first six TLCA Hall of Fame members.

The first six TLCA Hall of Fame members are:
Bob Garrett, Earl Warden, Jr., George Rice, Jim Sickles, Gary Bjork, John & Melissa Fulton, and Marlin Crawler.

Marlin Crawler
Marlin recalls growing up very poor. While his father, John Czajkowski, was an electrical technician, Marlin remembers his dad having many short term jobs because upon hearing the second Polish joke, he would often quit on the spot. John was originally from Holy Oak, Massachusetts, but found himself in California after WWII and met his future wife, Alice, from College Place, Washington, one day at church. John and Alice were married in 1953.

Marlin Czajkowski is one of three sons, his older brother Stanley living in Sonora, CA, and his younger brother Paul, who lives in Challenge, CA. Marlin was born in 1955 in Glendale, CA. When asked to describe himself as a young man, Marlin recalls “a clunky, zit faced child from a poor family.” Marlin specifically remembers wearing his older brother’s clothes during his school years at the Seventh Day Adventists High School in Glendale. He was never good at sports and spent most of his high school years working various jobs at the school to help make money. Marlin notes that growing up poor helped define who he is today—working year round and repairing anything that was broken, as opposed to buying a new one.

After graduating high school, Marlin went to college at Pacific Union College in Angwin, CA, where he studied Industrial Arts with an emphasis on automotive repair. Originally Marlin’s goal was to be a teacher. He graduated in 1975 and just missed the draft. Marlin met his wife, Christine, during high school—she was his best friend’s sister. Marlin married Chris in 1975, shortly after graduation and taking a new job. Their first child, Chrystal, was born in 1978, and their second child, Mike, was born in 1980.

After graduating from college and shortly before getting married, Marlin took his first job outside the school as an auto mechanic. Nine years would pass before he opened Marlin’s Automotive and Truck Repair on January 1st, 1985. During this time, Marlin purchased his used 1980 long wheel base Toyota truck in September of 1983, and joined the local Toyota club, Madera TLCA. He loved the little truck but wished it performed more like the Toyota Land Cruiser, which was heavier and crawled better. Burning the clutch through Little Sluice frustrated Marlin and he remembers wanting the little truck to be more respected by the dominant Jeep, Land Cruiser and full size trucks on the trail.

Right around the time Marlin was talking to Danny Warden about an adapter for an SM420 transmission conversion in his little truck, Marlin discovered the Icelandic Crawler, a combination of transfer cases mated together enabling superior low gearing. Paying cash, Marlin purchased the first unit sent to North America in April of 1995. Marlin recalls it was very difficult to assemble the unit and took him quite some time. While many incorrectly believe he created the concept of stacked transfer cases, Marlin notes he simply engineered the adapter and made assembly easy, affordable and effective.  Now his little truck had the extreme low gearing to make even the most challenging trails look easy. Marlin’s goal of seeing the little truck respected had been completed.

In 1999, Marlin Crawler went full time and separated Marlin Crawler from the automotive and truck repair business. Marlin Crawler now employees 14 people and is allowing Marlin himself to spend more time on what he feels are the two most important tasks—meeting his customers and working on research and development of new ideas and products.

Today Marlin is as busy working as he was in college. The work ethic installed as a young man is prevalent today, as evidenced by his busy schedule. Striking a balance between work, family, event attendance and new product development is always a challenge, but Marlin remains as dedicated to his goals as ever.

You can read the entire story with full inserts located at the TLCA's website:
http://tlca.org/trails/2007/0506/halloffame.shtml

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
thats awesome, congrats marlin... marlin is an awesome guy, i met him @ the shop back in 05

Bravo Zulu!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:17:25 PM by jimbo74 »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I think that's cool, well deserved and as it should be one of the 1st to be inducted. Bravo MARLIN!!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
right on, congrats.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
 :biggthumpup: Congratulations.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Cool.  I like reading backgrounds on interesting people, and it's nice to see somebody deserving get community or industry respect.  Congrats :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
congratulations Marlin and MC crew

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Congratulations Marlin!  If anyone deserves this, it's you. When I met him back in January, he was busy working at his shop on a Saturday.  It was the typical Marlin, telling stories and giving a helping hand....

PS:  Marlin, if your reading this, I was the guy who came up from San Diego and you helped me pile all of my new suspension goodies in the back of my girlfreinds Sentra. - We are now engaged!
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

98taco4x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
98 Tacoma 4x4 xcab 2.7
83 Toyota Pickup under the knife at the moment.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:clap: awesome.  Glad to see it.  Its definitely interesting to read a little background as well :yesnod:

:woohoo:

:thumbs:  Congratulations Marlin, you've certainly earned it.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
 :woohoo: thats awesome, congrats!   :respect:

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
Well Deserved.  :turtle: Congratulations Marlin!  :clap2:

- Hayes
Washington
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :turtle: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  :respect:
Your the man Marlin
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4173
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
Awesome, he deserves it.  :respect:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Freekin AWSOME!! :woohoo: Congrats Marlin!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Very cool! Always great to see you get recognized for what you do!  :biggthumpup:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Congratulations Marlin!  If anyone deserves this, it's you. When I met him back in January, he was busy working at his shop on a Saturday.  It was the typical Marlin, telling stories and giving a helping hand....

I remember  calling  Marlins  shop  on a memorial day weekend, (i think it was sunday , um 2002  i think)  I was  working almost 7 days a week  and it was raining here  so  my  days  where  "off"    but  had  read  about Marlin in Petersons Offroad mag,   anyway,   i called  the number  in the mag   and guess who answered  the :phone:

Marlin   talked  me  thru  everything i needed  to know about my L43  (that i had just got back  from my toyota dealer  :wall:  ) and  it  was  in the next  day  or  so i ordered my MC 1200  clutch.   and I've been  running that same clutch  ever since

We :love:  you Marlin   :respect:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
There are two companies out there in the industry, Marlin and all the others!  I will always come to Marlin for parts, because I buy from people who I respect and admire.  I've heard many awesome stories about what Marlin has done for them on the trails, each and every one is a good image that reflects on the 4x4 industry.   Everybody has a story to tell when they meet Marlin for the first time, or even on the phone!  Mine was under sad times, but still very inspiring to meet him!  My wife still talks about meeting Marlin, and the fact that he wanted to meet her. 

Keep up the good work!   :biggthumpup:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

clenhart

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 4
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile

Congratulations Marlin  :thumbs:

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Congratulations Marlin!  CrazyYota-->:bowdown:   :king:<---- MARLIN!!
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

WhiteRhino

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Feb '06
  • "Team Rhino"
    • View Profile
Congrads from Team Rhino ........... Pat, Nick & Tyler
Thanks for all your help
55 Willys Wagon
350TBI. 700R4
Atlas 4 speed
On 37s with A/C
For a cool ride

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
Congratulations from the Cejas in Coalinga. It is well deserved  :thumbs:

ps MC05 #'s 19 and 20 are still running strong  :bowdown:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:28:26 PM by mudguts »
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Well deserved! Congrats Marlin!   :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Way to go Marlin, keep up the good work, people do notice. :thumbs:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Congrads! Its always a pleasure to chat with him!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Well deserved! It gives me an idea for the next "commemorative" product...shift knobs in the likeness of his bronze HOF bust!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

greenfox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 It is nice to see people get notice for there hard work. Marlin your the man :bowdown:
67fj45lpd
73fj40
74fj40soa
97fzj80

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
 :thumbs: Congratulations Marlin. Happy for yah.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)