Author Topic: Lagens How to Bob a Bed with Santa  (Read 1656 times)

LAGEN WAGON

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
Lagens How to Bob a Bed with Santa
« on: Apr 23, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »
Well friday night I decieded to bob the bed on my 85 extra cab. With help from Loki an a some beers we where off to work.  Since I run Chevies  in the rear of the truck I decieded that 8 inches of whittling was all I wanted to cut at this point. I measured 6 inches from the back seam on the top of the bed rail. This allowed me to miss all the cross bracing under the bed along with not cutting threw the bed panal mounting tabs.

Using a carpenter speed square we marked out all the cut lines on the bed rail.Since my bed rail was in relatively good condition, this was a simple task. The next tricky part was to get the vertical lines marked out on the side of the bed. This took some pondering and a couple more beers. Then Loki spotted some christmas wraping paper siiting in the garage. It was actually a good idea for getting a true straight line down the side of the bed. Wraping paper will bend and mold threw the contures of the bed giving a perfect cut line. It really worked well!

Once everthing was all marked out and measured and re-measured we taped it all off for cutting-

Look what this b*std wrote on my truck when I was not looking. He still has not seen what I wrote on the driver side door of his truck haha!

Grinding

Now some welding

More grinding

Now for a crash couse in bondo work.

Couple coats of etching primer.

The finished product! Not to bad for my first bed chop. I guess!

Well that it for bobbing a bed with Santa. This whole process was simple but time consuming. But definitlly worth the time taken to do so. Next I will be painting the bed with Hurcliner and installing my rock sliders.  :beer:
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 07:30:58 AM by LAGEN WAGON »
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: Lagens How to Bob a Bed with Santa
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
that looks awesome for your first time! One note when installing the herculiner, make sure you prep the surface a ton. Sand the piss out of it or it won't stick. Trust me i learned the hard way. Congrats!
Starting from scratch again...

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:23:15 AM »
I've done some herculiner work before and you're right...the prep work is the most important part. We did my buddy's jeep it took a good 6-7 hours or more and most of that was prepping for the liner and taping it off. That stuff is just about as bad as working with fiberglass when it comes to the fumes.

I'm happy with the way our first bob went though...Lagen and I are notorious for second guessing and re-re-re-measureing, so it was like a tripple and quadruple check on everything. Even after it was all done we had to tell ourselves it's fine because we are our own worst critics. if you noticed on the passenger side, we managed to follow the dent into the clean panel so all the scars from before are molded in ;)

Santa's the man :ack:
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
:thumbs: great work! 

Guess santa doesn't quit working after Christmas after all :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
nuttin like a good ol drunken sawzall fest!  :beerwhack:

looks like fun good job guys
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
nuttin like a good ol drunken sawzall fest!  :beerwhack:

looks like fun good job guys
yeah i was :boozer: the whole time. i had to cross my eyes to make the last cut...don't tell Lagen though :eek:
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
yeah i was :boozer: the whole time. i had to cross my eyes to make the last cut...don't tell Lagen though :eek:
  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

ok  :shhh:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

LAGEN WAGON [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »
Trust me I picked up on it. Thats why he was designated tool scrub...hahah!
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.