Author Topic: 22RE Supercharger...anyone have one?  (Read 4803 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
22RE Supercharger...anyone have one?
« on: Apr 20, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »
I searched and didnt come up with much...sorry if this is a re-post....

Is the LC engineering supercharger kit for the 22RE new to the market?? I could have swore they only had them for the carbed guys...

If so is anyone running this setup? I am thinking of a 3RZ swap since its now better documented then the Holy Bible itself thanks to Big Mike, 4RunerRick and tons of others (Big thanks to you guys by the way!)

I think a bolt on kit running around 2500-3000 bucks might be worthwhile especially if you prefer to keep your truck as factory as possible.
However a 3RZ swap has been done for much less, and a supercharged 3RZ would be the Holy Grail (except for a Turbo Kit of course).

Anyone??
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

slorunner85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE Supercharger...anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
I have a super charger from a mercedes benz 2.3L.  If youd like you can fab a manifold, it will work great!  It puts out 6PSI boost w/ the current pulley. 60 bucks.   
'85 4ruggy linked ft and rr
42"iroks
pro rock 60 arb
14bolt spooled
marlins dual ultimate

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »
turbos are really over rated..... as for the lc supercharger, i think they have had them for a good amount of time, they are jsut expensive..... yes we liek to put swaps in our truck, but most of our trucks arent worth anywhere near what that s/c costs!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
I have a super charger from a mercedes benz 2.3L.  If youd like you can fab a manifold, it will work great!  It puts out 6PSI boost w/ the current pulley. 60 bucks.   

I have never fabed up a manifold for anything like that, but I might be willing to give it a try. I would imagine 6psi of boost wouldnt need any Ecu mods, just a bump in timing and some premium?? 
I will PM ya if I can figure out a way to make a manifold.....thanks for the offer!

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
turbos are really over rated..... as for the lc supercharger, i think they have had them for a good amount of time, they are jsut expensive..... yes we liek to put swaps in our truck, but most of our trucks arent worth anywhere near what that s/c costs!

It all depends on what your using your truck for. You can't totally rule out turbos as over rated. If you DD your rig a turbo will give you better MPG. if you rock climb you might want a SC since they give you constant boost no lag. then again im partial to Turbo's, Im gonna turbo my 22re here soon, start out with a Garret T3 and go from there.

Overall weigh out your options and use of the truck. Hope this helps. oh mani's are pretty easy to fab up. port matching is the hardest part. but then again you can just use your stocker and cut off the runs.
Starting from scratch again...

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2007, 11:20:37 PM »
Thanks SACD_Runner

Well I have decided to swap in a Volkswagon 1.9TDI or 1.6TD with a hybrid mechanical Injector Pump. Acme makes an adapter so it bolts up to any 4cylinder toyota trans. These motors are capable of making a reliable 150-200HP and over 300ft/lbs of torque! Without any crazy mods.

Just check out this link, the Suzuki guys pioneered the swap, and toyota guys are taking notice.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177501

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »

I can tell you from experience that boost response with a .42/.48 Garrett T3 is equal or more than that of the LC Supercharger.  Oh yea, and the turbo doesn't have a belt to drag around.
There is no published efficiency on that supercharger, but speculation is that the design is about 50% efficient.  Meaning for every 2 HP your engine is generating, it's sucking 1 hp to turn the belt.

The turbo solution, in my experience, is better for the 22RE.  It's less expensive, easily replaced, and works great.

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »
I can tell you from experience that boost response with a .42/.48 Garrett T3 is equal or more than that of the LC Supercharger.  Oh yea, and the turbo doesn't have a belt to drag around.
There is no published efficiency on that supercharger, but speculation is that the design is about 50% efficient.  Meaning for every 2 HP your engine is generating, it's sucking 1 hp to turn the belt.

The turbo solution, in my experience, is better for the 22RE.  It's less expensive, easily replaced, and works great.

Well put, OH BOOST=CRACK. Watch out, you might get hooked.
Starting from scratch again...