Author Topic: Her Name is Frank  (Read 363903 times)

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Her Name is Frank
« Reply #1770 on: Jun 06, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
After almost five years of hard work, countless details, and one bad engine...the Mid Engine Porsche 911 powered VW Double cab with Porsche 944 rear suspension and transaxle is on the road.

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: Jul 02, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
Shutting down the shop and have lots of stuff for sale. Lots of Toyota parts, not too much in the way of tools. Also selling the red shop truck, now on an $1800 set of Bilstein coilovers, for $3000. Need the money, got hit with some heavy interest charges for paying rent late a few times.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #1772 on: Jul 02, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
:jawdrop: What?! Man your projects and your talent are AMAZING, you can't give it up man!!! Say it isn't so :hyper: :wall: :thud:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1773 on: Jul 03, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »
damn! you do such unique work and projects, hopefully you aren't done for good :sad2:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: Jul 03, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
I'm done, at least for now. Can't really afford to keep running a shop with the way things have been going. I had a customer with a lawsuit against him about two years ago while his vehicle was in my possession and it cost me about $20k, I haven't quite recovered from that. And since then I have been robbed twice, once at gun point, and the shop has been broken into twice. Add to that all the times that I have been screwed over and not been paid, I'm losing too much money and basically working for free. It's made me a really bitter person over the last two years, and has really taken its toll on me and my outlook on people in general. I need a break, at least for now. This has really taken a toll on me, and has really taken away a hobby I once loved. My lease was up last month, I am on month to month for the time being until I can close up.

Unfortunately I am busier than ever right now, but still getting screwed over and losing much more money than I should. I am basically scraping by and living pay check to pay check right now, and sometimes not even that. So I have decided to do something else for now. I will not likely open a shop again as a day job, but my goal would be to buy some property and build a hobby shop at home and take projects on the side that I can pick and choose more carefully.

For the time being, I need to let this truck go, as I have no where to keep it:

I am asking $3k. I have about 3 times that invested in parts, and about 250 hours of labor. The coil overs alone are $1800 wholesale...
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: Jul 03, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: Jul 03, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »
I 100% understand where you're at. Most people have no idea what it takes to run a shop like this and how most of the time you are losing your ass. Add in how everyone wants somthing for free, robberies, acts of god and sheer bad luck it makes it extremely hard to keep the doors open. I worked for a 4wd shop for a long time and was able to see first hand how stupid it is. While wrenching was fun, at the end of the day it just wasnt worth it.

Hope you find somthing that makes you happy and able to relax ! A hobby shop setup on the side is the way to go and is sort of what i do now.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: Jul 03, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
Sorry to hear that man,   Still post pictures of the things you make on your side projects though.  Always enjoyed seeing your work!

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: Jul 03, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
I 100% understand where you're at. Most people have no idea what it takes to run a shop like this and how most of the time you are losing your ass. Add in how everyone wants somthing for free, robberies, acts of god and sheer bad luck it makes it extremely hard to keep the doors open. I worked for a 4wd shop for a long time and was able to see first hand how stupid it is. While wrenching was fun, at the end of the day it just wasnt worth it.

Hope you find somthing that makes you happy and able to relax ! A hobby shop setup on the side is the way to go and is sort of what i do now.

Thats basically where I am at. Everyone wants something for nothing, or wants to add a bunch of stuff on and the price to stay the same. All to often I would basically give time away in the details and small stuff to make a project up to my standards, even though I was likely getting paid for basic work, which is essentially working for free. I couldn't let anything leave that wasn't up to par, but I was often being paid for sub par work. And now that I am trying to start a family, I can't make that work. And after two strong armed robberies, two break ins, and a lawsuit that I never should have been drug into, its sucked all the fun out of it.

I will update with whatever I do next. Hopefully that includes finishing one of my own projects for the first time in my life.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: Jul 03, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
Sorry to hear your news.  Running a business isn't easy and I don't blame you for your decision.  I know you are very technically inclined and are a incredible fabricator, so I'm sure you could get a job doing that for a hot rod shop if you wanted to.  For all I know, your really good at a bunch of other things too.  Best of luck in your future endevors
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #1780 on: Jul 04, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
Sucks to here man, I love your work. Hope you're able to keep doing work. I wish you the best of luck.

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: Jul 08, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Thanks guys.

Catherine and I rescued a little Boxador puppy last night from a family that was neglecting it. Tested negative for Parvo this morning and is getting dewormed.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: Jul 08, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
Cute puppy.  sorry you have to close the vehicles you build are sick.  I really like the VW.  An ex father in law of mine had a few VW buses.  He would fill in paint chips with a toothpick.

Good luck in your new endevors.  I'm sure if you are as meticulous as you are in your cars, you'll be fine.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #1783 on: Sep 05, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
anyone know where TM is these days?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1784 on: Sep 05, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
anyone know where TM is these days?

I wish. I've been re reading this build and showing some of my buds his sweet cop car.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

harny

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • What do zebras eat ?
« Reply #1785 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:24:31 AM »
Congratulations man, that's something awesome I think

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 03, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
I wish. I've been re reading this build and showing some of my buds his sweet cop car.

I'm still alive. Just not online much anymore. I've done a lot in the last 5 years. I'm currently in Tahoe working for a natural gas company, have a 3 year old boy, no project vehicle, and trying to find time to build a smoker and put my engine drive welder back together.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1787 on: May 03, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
I'm still alive. Just not online much anymore. I've done a lot in the last 5 years. I'm currently in Tahoe working for a natural gas company, have a 3 year old boy, no project vehicle, and trying to find time to build a smoker and put my engine drive welder back together.

Hey! It's the real Twisted Minis!  :bowdown:

Great to hear you're still around

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 03, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
Hope all is well!  Life happens, hobbies get put on hold.  Just remember to come back and share all the projects you build in the future as you have amazing work!  :beer:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #1789 on: May 03, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »

WOOHOO! glad to hear you're still kickin'.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »

Since you’re back, allow me to apologize one more time for my first response to this thread.

Any pictures of how this one turned out in the end?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1791 on: May 04, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
Any pictures of how this one turned out in the end?

If you're talking about his mini truck, Unfortunately it sounds like he doesn't have it anymore. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94506.msg1056476#msg1056476

:rivers:

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 05, 2018, 01:09:24 AM »
Ya I do not have the mini trucks any more. Sorry to disappoint. Having a shop really burned me out on car projects for a while, I haven't really had a project since then, unless you count maintaining a high mileage diesel truck. That's my only vehicle now. Although now living by the Rubicon I'd like to build something 4WD.

Hope all is well!  Life happens, hobbies get put on hold.  Just remember to come back and share all the projects you build in the future as you have amazing work!  :beer:

Thank you, I appreciate it. We are trying to buy a house here now that I've found a good job I like, so money is pretty much going there. Doesn't make sense to keep renting the way rent is climbing in this area. I will have to figure out how to post pictures on here from my phone now. For now here is an album of the welder I mentioned, I did a little fab work on it. https://m.imgur.com/a/JOuOO

It's torn apart in my garage again, the shunt coils shorted out over winter. I did just get 220v wiring in my garage, so I'm hoping I can start building my smoker soon. I need to get a new bottle for my MIG welder, as mine "disappeared" but I have TIG and SMAW at the moment.

I've been working rotating shifts lately, which messes with my sleep schedule, makes it hard to find time in the garage.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
So, about a 2 year update. We finally bought a house. Work is finally calming down a bit, and I'm trying to set all my tools up in my garage. Which is much harder than I imagined.

Anyone want to see me build another 2wd Toyota at a painstakingly slow pace? I found a smog exempt one this time.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1794 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:34:29 AM »
So, about a 2 year update   …..

Anyone want to see me build another 2wd Toyota at a painstakingly slow pace? I found a smog exempt one this time.

Hey Twisted Minis....

At a 2-year update rate we should see the results somewhere around 2040!  :driving:

According to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's climate change genius the Earth will be completely destroyed in 11 years.  :willynilly:

According to CNN fake news the Corona virus will wipe out all US citizens in 60 days.  :yikes:

I'll be pushing daisies in 20+ years, so you'd better get started now!!  :thumbs:

Although this forum is primarily a discussion about rock crawling 4x4 vehicles - gears, tires, swaps, laced with thrashers and bashers - I am a real big fan of the 1st Amendment!  :beerchug:

Of course if some of us do survive the ravages heading our way, there’s help:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/style/rewilding-stone-age-bushcraft.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

How to Prepare Now for the Complete End of the World - Lynx Vilden teaches people how to live in the Stone Age.

My favorite quote from one of the hippies described in this article is….

“Some people don’t get it, but I prefer this life,” Joan said. “No, I don’t use toilet paper. I use moss and I like it better.”

Gnarls.  :greengrin:

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2020, 04:23:07 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:00:58 AM »

Absolutely!  :beer:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: Mar 12, 2020, 10:35:54 PM »
So, about a 2 year update. We finally bought a house. Work is finally calming down a bit, and I'm trying to set all my tools up in my garage. Which is much harder than I imagined.

Anyone want to see me build another 2wd Toyota at a painstakingly slow pace? I found a smog exempt one this time.  You know how much I love a low rider...

Painstakingly slow is about the speed I might be able to keep up. You know how much I love a great low rider!  :spankbutt:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Twisted Minis [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: Mar 14, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
Well here is what I'm starting with. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, all I know is the 18RC will be coming out for some kind of motor swap.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »
Hell yeah! You do awesome work!  :bowdown:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: Mar 31, 2020, 08:53:15 AM »
Look into the BEAMS engine out of the Toyota Altezza from Japan.  They are 4 cylinder and can be found with a 6 speed manual trans and have close to 200 hp.  Plus, they are pretty sexy looking for a 4cyl.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"