Author Topic: Front wheel drive without rear driveshaft??  (Read 2649 times)

Marc P

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
Front wheel drive without rear driveshaft??
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »
I have been dealing with a vibration in the rear of my SAS'd 95 4runner for a while now. Today I took the rear driveshaft off to help diagnose the vibration. Much to my suprise the truck will not move. I engaged the hubs, and have no movement at the front driveshaft. If I unlock the hubs the front driveshaft spins at the same speed as the rear flange.

The 4 wheel drive has been working fine...I used it a couple weeks ago. I also manually shifted the linkage to be sure.

The ADD has been gone for a year..since the SAS

I am just wondering if the tranfercase has some sort of load sensing clutch or limited slip?

I have a V6 with auto trans.....whats the deal??
1998 4Runner--under construction

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Front wheel drive without rear driveshaft??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
Today I took the rear driveshaft off to help diagnose the vibration. Much to my suprise the truck will not move. I engaged the hubs, and have no movement at the front driveshaft. If I unlock the hubs the front driveshaft spins at the same speed as the rear flange.

I am just wondering if the tranfercase has some sort of load sensing clutch or limited slip?

I have a V6 with auto trans.....whats the deal??

no load thingy I've ever heard of, you sure ya had it in drive? (dumb ? I know)

and the T/C in 4x? try 4X low to.  Manual hubs?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Marc P [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »
I had it in drive and reverse...also 4 high and low. I think I have a problem with the transfercase, but what is a good way to test it?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »
I had it in drive and reverse...also 4 high and low. I think I have a problem with the transfercase, but what is a good way to test it?

sounds like you just did!

maybe the "paw" or "slider" that hooks the rear flange to the front is not cont. to the lever inside?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Marc P [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:26:44 AM »
I hate broken stuff...now I have more things to fix. Anyone here in SD have a transfercase laying around??

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »
no but we have tons of junkyards in chula vista!
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »
ive never heard of that either. ive taken both off and ran them independently of eachother and never had that issue. i dont know if our transfer cases are the same. thats weird...where you at exactly?
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

Marc P [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2007, 10:25:29 PM »
I am in Santee. I am hoping it is just low on fluid. I will look into it more this weekend...but if I do need a replacement I know there are plenty in CV.

Marc P [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »
I changed the fluid in my T-case and topped off to the proper level, and trans fluid is good. The drain plug magnet was clean. I also checked the linkage. Tried it again today and was able to move slowly in drive/4 hi, but the engine was revving and there was no torque from the front wheels. In reverse or 4lo it would not move.

I then replaced the rear driveshaft and the truck sure acted like it was in 4wd??

I am at a loss.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »
It doesn't sound right, i have known people to engage there 4 high in just the front being locked and it worked fine.... i would say your transfercase might be toast...

military_stang
:respect:

Marc P [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • San Diego Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
It is really strange, because with both driveshafts on the 4wd seems to work fine...I guess I need to get in some dirt and use my e-brake to lock up the rear wheels to be sure.

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
hey marc p who in town do you use for driveline work? sory to jack

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
I know my 85 auto's tcase had clutches. I had to have the thing rebuilt, cost an arm and a leg. The shop guy said the clutches known to fuse. But I don't know if that's your issue.

Sound like time for a 5speed swap. If it's your tcase.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
Your auto t-case has a set of clutches for the front output flange. They are located just behind the front output flange in the rear half of the case.
When you are going under 8 to 10 miles an hour, you get 100% power to the front and rear drive shafts. Above 10 miles an hour, you only get approximately 30% front, 100% rear. If your t-case is over 250 degrees plus, you get zero % output to the front and 100% to the rear.

When you manually shift the t-case into 4wd high or low, the chain begins to turn which rotates the pump and the resulting pressure engages the clutch pack transferring the torque to the front output flange. The small radiator that is located below the passenger's floorboard, is very important to cool the fluid. I have seen trucks with the cooler bypassed and soon after the clutches failed. You will also notice a sensor that is located towards the bottom of the t-case. If the t-case overheats, the #4 solenoid in the valve body will vent so that the t/case will not burn up. When this happens, you will have no front output and there is nothing you can do but wait for the case to cool down.

It sounds like you have a set of burned, waisted clutches.

The last time you went 4 wheeling, were you working it pretty hard? Check and make sure that the t-case is full of oil and all wires are in place and connected.

When you have done those checks, get out your wallet and kiss some money good by.

Marlin
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009, 08:24:11 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
Yeah - manual/manual xfer case is best. :)  That way you really *could* just drop the rear shaft and run FWD only for a while.  Just don't drop out of 2WD high... That would be a mighty big "neutral" gear all of a sudden.

Optimal would be dual-range xfer and manual, with dual sticks, of course, but even the stock manual gearing is plenty fine off-road.(and your resale value will bump up a bit as well with a manual MC trans/xfer combo)

I mention it because replacing the automatic or rebuilding it will likely cost as much as just replacing the thing with a manual and a good used set of components.   While I'd def use a used and good condition (hopefully MC of course) manual as a swap-in, no way with any used slushbox.  BT,DT, never had a used automatic ever last more than a year.