Author Topic: Short side noise, axle,birf,hub?  (Read 2014 times)

The Rooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '06
  • *life's short and hard like a body building elf*
    • View Profile
Short side noise, axle,birf,hub?
« on: Apr 01, 2007, 11:50:23 PM »
Hey thanks in advance for the help, I am but a humble noob looking for advice :bowdown:, I have an 85 efi x cab 3-in body- w/extended shackles, Detroit lockers f/r and 5.29 yukons, 4-in trailflex coming nex-wknd. I'm running 38.5's swamper's and taking it easy because I know this is a bad idea w/stock birfs and inners. My Bobby long 30 spline in's birfs and hub gears jus got here yesterday. But today i took my eldest son out to the field by our house locked it up and went for a ditch, when i went in at an angle my wheel dug in the well really hard I've done this before i just rev and take a less aggressive approach. This time rev was not an option, so i powered through. When i came up on the other side i heard a terrible grinding noise like the fender was on the wheel only it wasn't. Unlocked it rev a few feet and the noise stopped. Got it home lifted the front and locked the short side/ spun the tire it free wheeled 3/4 turn then engaged w/ alot of grinding :shakehead:..and finally the question, is it likely the axle the birf or the hub. I have to tear it down eventually to put the long parts in but Ive never done anything like that and I'm a little nervous. And if its the hub I'd like to have the parts on hand to do the repair at the same time..sorry bout the novel but i didn't want to leave anything out
It's A work in progress but it'll get there..slow and low im breakin er in easy...oh btw stock birfs suck!!!!

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Short side noise, axle,birf,hub?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2007, 12:13:43 AM »
Go to the Toyota section on Pirate4x4. Look in the FAQ at the top of the page and you will find a vast amount of information including how to rebuild the front axle. :thumbs:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 04:15:58 AM »
Got it home lifted the front and locked the short side/ spun the tire it free wheeled 3/4 turn then engaged w/ alot of grinding

That right there makes it sound like you weren't getting any noises until your diff locker enguaged. If so, you may not have one anymore.

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
Hopefully this isn't one of those, break a birf/axle/hub take out a $500 detroit.

1st, Don't drive on it until you take the birf and axle out.  Even though you were able to steer/ get it home, it is possible (if in fact the birf broke) for the birf to become lodged in the knuckle and suddenly limiting your steering.

Next, tear it apart and take pictures and post back!!  We love seeing carnage!

Oh, and most likely it was the birf.  Stockers are really weak when you're full turn and using the gas petal.  It is possible for the locker to break when a birf goes, so be sure to take a look at that too while you're in there.

There is a FSM for an '85 toy on this site (one of the stickys i believe) Print the pages for rebuilding front axle (same for all straight axles) and have at it.  

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

The Rooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
  My Detroit's oh man you're scaring me now, I just had those put in like two months ago and have never even used them off road on anything more than a dirt field maybe 4 times Ive always been gentle?? I'm hoping for a birf or hub gear since those were being replaced anyway. I need to find time to tear in....now im depressed i never would thought brand new Detroit's from something that mundane...
It's A work in progress but it'll get there..slow and low im breakin er in easy...oh btw stock birfs suck!!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
i think hes saying its a birf or something else...not the detroits..what u gotta watch out for are broken components (like a birf) in the axle making your detroits go boom boom
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

The Rooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »
Gotcha thank you one of the neighborhood guys said as long as i don't engage the front axle it should be alright. I'm not a mechanic but that didn't seem right to me i guess I'll tear down and put in the long parts and take a look. BTW the noise is only emanating from what seems the knuckle, leading me to think its the birf or hub..but I'm just learning. the pirate link was awesome i will repost when i figure out what happend thanks again!!!

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »
Well its true as long as your transfer case isn't ingaged. Then you birf will be spining but not locked onto the hub. So just dont put it in 4wd and you should be fine for some time, However like someone already mention, if you birf does snap off it can bind up in the knuckle and you'll be strapped in for a wild ride. Good luck, i would put my money on a bad birf. TIME for longs.... :)
Starting from scratch again...