Author Topic: Thoughts on future values of older trucks  (Read 2328 times)

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Thoughts on future values of older trucks
« on: Apr 01, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »

I have been thinking a lot lately about the values of early trucks, what does the future hold considering how many have been lost to theft, fire, and wrecks etc. It does not help matters much that the new Tacoma getting rather portly and nearing full-size in appearance, which IMO makes it a poor choice for off-roading.

While I don't think these older trucks will see the stage at Barrett Jackson, what are your thoughts? 

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on future values of older trucks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:16:19 AM »
they will get more expensive until extinction.. parts will be harder and harder to find. people will be using the good parts, and no new parts are being built...

the problem with vehicles, except for rare circumstances, is that the older they get, the more the DECREASE in $ value.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:23:27 AM »
they will get more expensive until extinction.. parts will be harder and harder to find. people will be using the good parts, and no new parts are being built...

the problem with vehicles, except for rare circumstances, is that the older they get, the more the DECREASE in $ value.....

definitly, look at rigs like the fj40's/60's if you can find one cheap its going to be rusted out or beat to :pokinit:.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »
one mans treasure is another mans junk.....

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »
I think it really has a lot to do with location and demand.  Some places you can get first gens pretty cheap, while others have people paying way too much.  I don't worry about the value of my trucks too much since I usually keep them for quite a while, but I don't think if I had a kid now and kept my first gen till they were 18 I'd be able to put them through college.

As much as some people get for a clean fj40 now, I still see the occassional smokin hot deal that you could easily double or triple your money on, and I don't doubt that first gens will eventually go that way.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
any way you look at it... trucks like 1st gens and second gens are going the way of the fj40's and such. they will get rare, expensive and harder to get parts for. hopefully people like marlin will keep our trucks rolling but, as it sits right now, sfa's are getting harder to find in order to swap em on the 86 and older onnes.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:00:10 PM »
You know what's kinda funny?  Sometimes I'll turn down a side road I've never been down and see 2 or 3 first gens at people's houses.  It's happened more than once, just kinda makes me chuckle, though I do feel tempted to stop and suggest the owner lock it in the garage, but that could be taken the wrong way!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »
being so close to the border im constantly paranoid someone's gonna be a prick and steal my rig all the time. they are so wanted down south and worth so much that its hard not to think it will happen sooner or later.

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »
Anyone got a good idea for an anti theft device for a toyota 4x4 ??? a hidden fuel pump switch was sort of what i was thinking? :yesnod: I dont really want to hack into any wiring too bad... I want to do something to make my truck impossible to steal. I fu:censored:ing hate theives.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
You're on the right track for anti-theft setup, but posting ideas on the web is like giving thieves the keys to your truck.  Use your head and come up with a solid anti-theft device and then KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!  I know ways to keep mine from getting stolen, or atleast make it a helluva lot harder and less worth the effort, but I won't be blabbing all over this or any other site about it.
RIP KYOTA

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2007, 12:09:30 AM »
not unless you make a brake pedal lock or a parking brake lock with a pad lock of some sort. then it makes it 1, hard to use the brakes, 2 bumped against the gear hard to take it out of gear, and 3 hard to get to if you place it right. kinda makes a theif go "oh cr@p" once he realizes the pedals dont move. also, if he tries to get at the lock it leaves him open for you to come and knock the bejeezus out of him while he tries to figure it out.