Author Topic: Another lift question 1st Gen 4runner  (Read 2225 times)

steelynorm

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Another lift question 1st Gen 4runner
« on: Mar 29, 2007, 01:59:09 PM »
Are there any decent bolt on 3-4" lift kits out there?
Downey gets a bad rap.
OME sounds good but only 2"

What about the others?  Does anyone have any first hand experience with the above or any other lifts that they can reccomend?

norm

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
Re: Another lift question 1st Gen 4runner
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2007, 02:09:22 PM »
IFS or Solid axle?  if it is solid axle then Marlin has a good lift kit, or you could have alcan make you custom springs. 
For IFS, I've seen lots of people with TUFF COUNTRY and Rancho lifts but I don't know which ifs lifts are good.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
like toyo said... give a bit more info as to wether its a straight axle front or IFS.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
I have heard more + about Downey than neg.  I was planning to get their 3" springs to clear 35's on my 83.  In fact I saw a guy with a sweet 82 and asked him what springs he had to clear his 35's he said he put Downeys on after his Ranchos beat him to death, but for him just a DD rare off roader he said they rode great.  But to truly get the springs you want try Alcan or National spring that way they are made for your truck not "everyones" truck.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »
But to truly get the springs you want try Alcan or National spring that way they are made for your truck not "everyones" truck.

Let's not forget to give props to the guy whose site this is... marlin springs are an excellent product and should be at the top of your list if you have a straight axle. If you're looking for a quality product with good offroadability and you have IFS then plan on spending quite a bit of dough. Like everyone's said, we need more info to be helpful.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2007, 04:32:53 PM »
I have heard more + about Downey than neg.  I was planning to get their 3" springs to clear 35's on my 83.  In fact I saw a guy with a sweet 82 and asked him what springs he had to clear his 35's he said he put Downeys on after his Ranchos beat him to death, but for him just a DD rare off roader he said they rode great.  But to truly get the springs you want try Alcan or National spring that way they are made for your truck not "everyones" truck.
ive heard alot of people bad mouth downey too...i had a 2inch downey lift on my truck for years and was pretty darn happy with it..    :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

cutlass

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
this is marlins board and his stuff is great but his queation is about BOLT ON KITS~!

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »
It is indeed... too bad, the extra work and/or money is almost always worth it.  :twocents:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2007, 02:08:12 PM »
for bolt on about the highest you can go is 2 inch...anything over that requires longer springs (read: fabrication/welding) or the ride and flex will severly suffer
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco