Author Topic: Air Mass Sensor  (Read 2332 times)

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Air Mass Sensor
« on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:14:54 PM »
Is there any 'aftermarket' air mass sensors that will work on the 22RE & 85 4Runner Air boxes :inthedark:?  I've modified my air box with the use of a large plastic battery box that keeps the mud and water away from my K&N air filter. The stock 'air mass sensor' is large, cumbersome and restrictive !
I'm looking for one that might be smaller to fit in my new 'Air Box' :dunno: and allow more metered air to get to my new 'Large bore' Thottle Body!
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Air Mass Sensor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
Is there any 'aftermarket' air mass sensors that will work on the 22RE & 85 4Runner Air boxes :inthedark:?  I've modified my air box with the use of a large plastic battery box that keeps the mud and water away from my K&N air filter. The stock 'air mass sensor' is large, cumbersome and restrictive !
I'm looking for one that might be smaller to fit in my new 'Air Box' :dunno: and allow more metered air to get to my new 'Large bore' Thottle Body!
i dont know of any off hand.... k and n's are motorkillers in my opinion....increased airflow = increased dirt flow. they will never filtrate as well as a stock toyota filter. but thats just my opinion who knows if there is any truth to it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »
Thats why I built a larger sealed air box and plan on adding a snorkel before the fall runs!
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »
Thats why I built a larger sealed air box and plan on adding a snorkel before the fall runs!
lets see some pics of your box.....that sounds kinda dirty huh? :snapshot:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
I'll send them tommorow :snapshot:, I'd like more advice from you Yoda builders!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
i dont know if there are any afms, i dont beleive i have seen any... however, i have heard that you can tune it...

i think i have also heard there were other vehicles afms that you could use....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2007, 04:43:02 PM »
Jimbo, Thanks I've already tuned it  and it works fine I just would like to make more modifications

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
Are those Sensors Tunable? Does it affect the air/fuel mixture? Which PArt is adjustable?

I am new to these 22re's, Fill me in if you would.... THanks
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
DTB, I emailed pics to your hotmail address because they where to big to place on the forum, some day I'll figure out how to make them 'sendable' size.

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
Redneck, the air mass sensor is easy to adjust and easier to screw up, once you break the seal remember to reseal to keep water out, mark the stock location of the lock arm, loosen the set screw enough to rotate the lock arm two notches, retighten the set screw. With the engine warmed up and at an idle throttle up quickly, short bursts and listen for the plenum door to open freely, if it still has resistance shut down and readjust. Now after final adjustment shut down and diconnect the battery for several minuetes, however 2nd generations require a different way to reset the ECM computer, reconnect the battery and take it for a ride  :driving: , you should on a well tuned 22RE notice a quicker throttle responce. (air in faster ).
Please Note I am not a Mechanic and only learned this from watching Toyota fans try to get the most out of there 22Re's and I'm sure there is other Toyota fans on this forum who are more versed on this topic.  DanS

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »
Thanks Dan, Will try this week!  :biggthumpup:
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »
Redneck, the air mass sensor is easy to adjust and easier to screw up, once you break the seal remember to reseal to keep water out, mark the stock location of the lock arm, loosen the set screw enough to rotate the lock arm two notches, retighten the set screw. With the engine warmed up and at an idle throttle up quickly, short bursts and listen for the plenum door to open freely, if it still has resistance shut down and readjust. Now after final adjustment shut down and diconnect the battery for several minuetes, however 2nd generations require a different way to reset the ECM computer, reconnect the battery and take it for a ride  :driving: , you should on a well tuned 22RE notice a quicker throttle responce. (air in faster ).
Please Note I am not a Mechanic and only learned this from watching Toyota fans try to get the most out of there 22Re's and I'm sure there is other Toyota fans on this forum who are more versed on this topic.  DanS

you adjust the gear two teeth clock wise or conter clock wise? and from what i have found there is more to it than that... i read on the pirate board, that you advance the timing to 8 degree's aswell as run hotter spark plugs and a cooler thermostat, from a carbed 22r then you disconnect the battery and let the ecm regather.....

james
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

DanS [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
James, as I stated "A well tuned" engine is required to notice any dramatic changes in responce, the goal in making these adjustments was to allow air in faster. You are correct there are many other adjustments to make, but there are no two engines alike and it's difficult to quess what modifications 'Redneck' may have already made. Research on our 'Yodas' is important and it sounds like you have already done yours  :thumbs: :thumbs: , If you have time could you fill in any information I may have missed to help out many of us still wrenching and learning as we go. Thanks DanS