Author Topic: Please Help Me Set My Idiot Friend Straight.  (Read 3082 times)

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Please Help Me Set My Idiot Friend Straight.
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
Okay, a mechanic got my friends Toyota Turbo running. And now he thinks he's just the coolest thing since sliced bread. Its on 31's no lift, rusty white paint and an auto tranny. Now toyota came out with the turbo trucks in 86 and 87. I told him that its an 86 but he doesnt believe me, and made the mistake telling him that it's fairly rare because of the 22R-TE and the auto tranny. The vin plate on the inside of the door says "Manufactured 85" I dont remember the month. But he thinks that its an 85. So I also keep telling him it's not an 85 cus' 85 had a solid axle and beginning in 86 they started the IFS trucks. And he has IFS, and he claims that it's better than solid axles. So I need everyone else's opinions to back up my "true" argument.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help Me Set My Idiot Friend Straight.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:37:28 PM »
ifs is better than solid axle in some respects, ie stock road manners, but a stock solid axle is better in articulation and rock crawling situations....

the ifs came out in 86 and was present thereafter

the solid axle was in 85 and earleir trucks

if the build date is usually later than midyear, then it is usually the next year model, if it is the beginning to the middle it is usually that year model....

my 84 has a build date of jan 84, my 85 has a build date of may 85

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »
First, our opinions don't matter, your friend should only be convinced by facts.

Second, the only factual statement that can be made to compare a solid axle to IFS is that they are different and each has its benefits and negative aspects.  People in the "rock crawling" community generally agree that solid axles are better, but IFS is certainly the way to go for highway and baja.

Third, I don't know the exact dates, but it is fairly common for a model year vehicle to be manufactured in the previous calander year.  As an example, there were 2007 Mazda SPEED 3 cars sold as early as November 2006.  I'm sure it is possible to verify the correct year based on the VIN number, call a Toyota service department.  Also, wouldn't the registration say what year the truck is?

I would agree that the IFS is a clue to it being a 1986 rather than a 1985, but it should be fairly easy to verify.  
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 06:46:50 AM »
The 10th digit of the VIN is the date code. A-80 B-81 C-82 D-83 E-84 F-85 G-86 H-87 J-88 K-89 L-90 M-91 N-92 P-93 R-94 S-95 T-96 V-97 W-98 X-99 Y-00  1-01 2-02 3-03 4-04 5-05  6-06 7-07  This list has always worked for me.  The Manufactured date is not always the same as the model year. I think it was late 1995 when Ford changed body styles and called it a 1997.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:41:37 AM »
Here's the scoop on the turbo'd/IFS Toy's, in mid 85 the IFS was introduced as a 86, along with that they also introduced the turbo in the IFS trucks only with a 5 speed or an auto, in 86 the 4 runner went IFS and could be had with the turbo by mid year as a Limited Edition and only came with an Auto. So you could get the IFS in 85 but as an 86 model year in the pickups. This turbo'd truck ran through the 86 and 87 models, and in 87 they introduced the 3.0 V-6 which completely replaced the turbo in 88. Normally the model year begins and ends in October of the previous year. Here's an example: Let's say your vehicle tag is stamped as being manufactured in Sept. of 2004, usually that means it is an 04 unless the manufactured introduced the model year early, now if your vehicle was manufactured in Oct. of 04 that would make it an 05 model year. Also you can determine the year as discribed above. I was heavy into the Turbo'd Yota's and miss my 86 4Runner, the only issue wheeling it ever had was on extremely steep hills it would run out of power if I had to climb a ledge or boulder. The turbo isn't the best and you might consider an upgrade to a Supra turbo.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »
He claims that he's gonna out crawl my truck in my avatar. I keep telling him that most manufacturers come out with the next model year around fall, So mine says Mfd Sep 81, so it's an 82. 85xcab, thats a great way to find out what you have. I 'll especially use that against him. Thanks guys. I just really wanted proof to show him what year he's got.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:53:09 AM »
They do crawl very good and my brother who also had an 87 turbo'd runner had an up hill turtle race with a crawler and went toe to toe with it, now going downhill is another issue. You must learn to use the ebrake to keep from flying down, but there is a way to make it a very good downhill crawler. The torque converter is electric and if you install a switch to defeat the stall it will crawl very nicely down but just don't stop with the switch on or you'll blow the converter. 

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:56:37 AM »
I remember this guy in my neighborhood who bought a new Toyota in 85,while waiting for it to be delivered he bought the 40" Fun Country's all the shocks, Smittybuilt bumpers,full triple double "bed bar" these ridiculous springs the Enki wheels,all the old school stuff,when he rolled up with it, IFS. I thought he was gonna cry.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:22:59 AM »
I remember this guy in my neighborhood who bought a new Toyota in 85,while waiting for it to be delivered he bought the 40" Fun Country's all the shocks, Smittybuilt bumpers,full triple double "bed bar" these ridiculous springs the Enki wheels,all the old school stuff,when he rolled up with it, IFS. I thought he was gonna cry.

Yup my brother bought his in 85 and had a choice between the IFS and solid axle, sadly he opted for the IFS.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »
The 10th digit of the VIN is the date code. A-80 B-81 C-82 D-83 E-84 F-85 G-86 H-87 J-88 K-89 L-90 M-91 N-92 P-93 R-94 S-95 T-96 V-97 W-98 X-99 Y-00  1-01 2-02 3-03 4-04 5-05  6-06 7-07  This list has always worked for me.  The Manufactured date is not always the same as the model year. I think it was late 1995 when Ford changed body styles and called it a 1997.
This info is gospel! The only other conclusive evidence might be if the production date is 9/85 or later since the following years model are built typically starting in Sept. and if the emissions label is legible it should say somewhere on it, ''this vehicle complies to all federal (and California*) emission standards for the 1986 year model". (*)If it is a CA emissions vehicle.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread, but it all boils down to OPINION.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  You can't call someone an idiot because their opinion is different than yours.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
:dunno:  who cares.  If he is wrong about the year, and insists on being wrong, so what?  As for the IFS, its a matter of opinion.  some say IFS is great, some don't like it.

I run it because a lot of people call me an idiot for crawling with it :disturbed:

:psss: bet my IFS can out crawl your truck :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread, but it all boils down to OPINION.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  You can't call someone an idiot because their opinion is different than yours.

The fact is that you can call someone an idiot for having a different opinion.  I can say this is a fact because this is exactly what this thread is about.  Good thing it isn't just my opinion or I could call you an...

:haha:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
The fact is that you can call someone an idiot for having a different opinion.  I can say this is a fact because this is exactly what this thread is about.  Good thing it isn't just my opinion or I could call you an...

:haha:

:trout:

Let me rephrase that... SHOULDN'T

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
:trout:

Let me rephrase that... SHOULDN'T

is that a fact?  because if it is, then I can call you an idiot for making the first statement right? 

:gap:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
is that a fact?  because if it is, then I can call you an idiot for making the first statement right? 

:gap:

It takes one to know one & I'm rubber your glue so it bounces off me and sticks to you!

:flamer:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »
Your friends opinion is wrong and he should be subjected to a physical beating. Let him out crawl you until his tranny overheats and blows up.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
Well I think your friend is right on! he's hot  :pokinit: and you know it!

A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:08:46 PM »
Well, Dilema solved. Its an 86. I finally convinced him using 85xcab's code thing. We'd been fighting about this for two weeks. I tried to bet him $20 yesterday that I was right, and he wouldn't. I think he knew, deep down, that I was right. He has no clue about what does what on a vehicle. I'm trying to teach him, and I have taught him quite a bit. He only says that he could out crawl me because he's got a turbo engine. And asks when I'm gonna put a turbo on mine. ANd this explains the "Idiot" part. He wanted to have a street racer vinyl of a dragon put on his truck. You'd have to know him to know why I call him an idiot. But this is all solved, so no further reply's needed.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
Why don't you ask him when his turbo is gonna blow up like the other 90% of them out there. Tell him the turbo is poorly designed from the factory and the only thing good about those trucks are the bigger tranny and 23 spline t-case.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
tell him  he should sell it and buy a jeep  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco