Author Topic: Popping out of reverse  (Read 3444 times)

Spulen81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Popping out of reverse
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
In a recent snow storm I got a little carried away with the throttle while backing out of my driveway and the the truck popped out of reverse.   Now it does this everytime I use reverse.  I have to hold it in gear and ease the clutch to back up, you can feel the shifter move back an forth as you go.  It doesn't grind going in to gear at all and all of the other gears seem fine, no noises, etc.   
Is there any chance this could be the shifter bushings?   This is a '86 4runner with a W56.  Thanks!
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Re: Popping out of reverse
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
Say goodbye to that transmission.

Happened to my old truck.  Kept popping out, and I'd hold it in like you are doing - bad idea.  One time, on a trail - holding it in caused my entire stick shift to pop out.  No more gears!  A little scary, but I got it back in and was able to drive home with no more reversing.

Ended up driving it to Fresno and had Marlin put a HD tranny in it for a little over $1,000.

The time on your tranny is limited.  Don't use reverse, don't hold it in.

Myself - in the meantime I used my buddies.  I would slap the roof, and say "REVERSE" and they would get in front and push me.  ;)

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 06:47:27 AM »
could be the 4 bolts that hold the stick in the tranny. I forgot to loctite them on my last shifter bushing replacement. the tranny would grind to go in reverse and pop out. I expected the worse, then removed the boot and saw that 2 bolts were gone and the other 2 had backed out to the end of the threads.

can you start in reverse? does it pop out then?
is your shifter floppy?
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
Yota Up,  I'm trying not to use it at all.  I'm hoping it can limp a month or so.  I like you alternate reverse though, haha.

olemisstoy88, I did have the shifters out about a month ago.  I def. didn't use loctite either.  My shifter is kinda floppy but it was OK before the incident.  I'll pop off the boot and check though..that would be great if that is all it is.  My truck is diesel to so it vibrates a little.  I'll try starting it in reverse, I haven't yet.  It will stay in gear until I try to move.

Thank you both for the input.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »
This happened to me, but in first gear.  I had to hold it in everytime i started from a stop.  then it started getting really hard to go between the gears and then "Clunk"  no shifty shifty.  About 2 months from the first pop out until it completly died.

Might wanna start looking into it before you get stuck somewhere.   :crossed:
I like to Drive!

Trompies

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
Check your syncro bearings, there is a little plastic piece also that holds the shifter in its place.  Mine went out and for about $200 I had it fixed.  Most of the time it is a worn out piece.

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
I started the truck in reverse... it still popped out.   I'm going to try a new shifter bushing first.  Are the syncro bearings difficult to get at?  The trans shifts great other than this issue.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »
Time for a new tranny.  Mine did that but first went out, then fourth, and finally third!  Marlin's tranny's rock and are by far the least expensive I could find.   
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38