Author Topic: Transfercase Mounting With Crawler?  (Read 1504 times)

mojavehanna

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Transfercase Mounting With Crawler?
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
What is the most effective/ most common way to support the back of the drivetrain on a Tacoma with a crawler? I currently have the stock auto. trans. mount on the trans. tailhousing but its a long way to the back of the stock TC with nothing supporting it. I am considering running a second heavy duty V6 TC mount behind the similar trans. mount for a total of two mounts inline.

Or... it seems that some are using the FROR style mount that bolts to the rear of the stock chain driven TC and completely encircles the TC with arms coming off either side and mounting to the inner frame rails. This seems to be pretty effective but increases in cab vibrations and seems to me would stress the crawler, TC and drivetrain as the engine torques and the rear TC tries to limit the torque.

What do the Marlin gurus usually do?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: Transfercase Mounting With Crawler?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
The FROR style mount actually works very well. In my rig it actually helped the drivability a lot because it took out the drive train torqing which was causing a lot of lurching on take off and even when wheeling. From what i've seen the cases can hold up to it too. I was running a 4.3 Chevy vortec with 38's on a second gen 4runner and didn't have any t-case probs. As far as noise in the cab or vibration I didn't notice any, but I suppose there's always a chance. I do recall a thread a year or so ago where guys were discussing differant bushings in the mount. If you do some searching you might find it. I think BigMike was one of the guys talking about it.
Remeber, the tcase mount is going to the frame with bushings and the cab is mounted to the frame through rubber bushings, so it should be isolated pretty well.

mojavehanna [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:09:51 PM »
This is what I went with for now, I'll see how it works. So far it has only passed the "driveway test".

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2007, 03:17:22 PM »
I've been running mine for almost 4 years now with only the transmission mount holding everything up. Marlin once told me that it was plenty strong enough and doesn't need the additional support.
99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!