Author Topic: Longer front driveline: Square tubing shafts, or extend the original?  (Read 11404 times)

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
Thanks, I am going to have to build one cause I need to find some replacement front springs that will move the front axle forward to keep it out of the firewall on compression. Any suggest on who makes springs for the front to prevent this gouging? 

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Thanks, I am going to have to build one cause I need to find some replacement front springs that will move the front axle forward to keep it out of the firewall on compression. Any suggest on who makes springs for the front to prevent this gouging? 
:confused: Um, Toyota.
Find a set of rear springs and use the main leaf plus a couple and put them in the front.

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
I had read through a couple of comments on the boards about using rears in front but was not for sure why. Will I have to move or alter my spring eye moutns on the frame?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
I had read through a couple of comments on the boards about using rears in front but was not for sure why. Will I have to move or alter my spring eye moutns on the frame?
Nope, just need crossover steering and you're good to go.

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
You must be talking about the kit that Marlin and All-Pro sell that uses the IFS steer box. That is getting higher and higher on my "Want List".

abriel68

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '07
  • 85 4runner
    • View Profile
if anyone wants to build me a square drive shaft for my 84 4runner... for around 50 bucks.. im interested... pm me and i'll try to get you more details...

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
You must be talking about the kit that Marlin and All-Pro sell that uses the IFS steer box. That is getting higher and higher on my "Want List".

Yup, thats it. I was origionaly running stock 85 PS with a heavy duty tierod but when I went to 35s i ditched it for an IFS box and  :turtle:  high steer. Next to my crawler gears and 5.29s it is by far my favorite mod ive done. Turns the 35s with ease. I only wish I had upgraded it sooner. Just make sure when you decide to get high steer that you at the least get the IFS box plate kit as well. I plated my entire frame up front but you can get by (if you are stilll using stock shock towers) with just the IFS plate. Just an extra safety precaution and its cheap. I definitly recommend it though! take care
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
Thanks as I get the time and the $ I'll post pics as I assemble it. Just glad it hasn't been my daily driver for 2-3 years.