Author Topic: "BB" Tire Balancing Questions  (Read 109876 times)

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
Re: "BB" Tire Balancing Questions
« Reply #270 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Hey guys i read all this stuff on here and I'm 99% sure I'm going to get some airsoft BB's but wanted to see what you guys think first.  Before i knew that much about all this i went to a commercial tire shop to get my iroks balanced.  37 bias on 15x10 rim with 80% tread on yota axles. 

They suggested to put in Counteract balancing beads, which seamed like the way to go at the time and worked a little but it sucked after the first couple trips. its like they have permanent flat spots.

I looked last night at the receipt and they put 2 10oz bags in each tire, after reading on here that is way to much i should only have 8-10oz per tire from the chart.

I guess I'm going to vacuum it out and try the Airsoft BB's and see what happend for myself. 

Any input that you see helping would be great if you did this on your iroks.  How it worked and how much you put in mainly, what size and how many you used..
thanks martin

I would politely call them on it as well.  Where did they get the info for that much weight which probably damaged/prematurely wore your tires?  If they were using Dynobeads they clearly were going way beyond what recommended weights are and should be accountable.  Worth a try, if not to just save the next guy from the same fate of bad business practices.
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

lownlinked85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 408
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »
can I just get my tires balanced find out exactly how many ounces each tire needs and just put that amount in the tire? Im confused about balancing my tires with bb's
Low locked and ready to rock

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:01:05 AM »
Or go to the innova site, problem with using a balancer is you would have to set the rim diameter as your tires diameter as that's where the balancing will take place! I just buy one or two big packages of airsoft and divide them in Dixie cups where all four or five cups are equal and dump them in. My most recent airsoft bb purchase started with 1/3 container of camo ammo then a full container from walmart. I'm going to divide into five cups and pour them in and run em, has always worked good for me. Seams like there is a wide range of what works as far as weight goes.
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »
I kinda did what Bog-Toy did as well.  I used a food measuring scale, and divided the (large) container I got from walmart into 4.  IIRC, I think I wound up with 12 oz. in each tire. 

Worked out great, will definitely continue to follow this method in the future.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #274 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »
I weighed 10oz on a postal scale for each tire, there's a few on Marlin that could just pull the 3 beam outta they're closet  :cool:   I put them in the tire, pried the bead back on, a little starting fluid and BAMMM !   I don't drive it much but I do drive it to the trail, and the closest legal area, Hollister, is 100 miles round trip.  Drives great at any speed and really good at 65-70.  SS 36x12.5 .

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #275 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »
I weighed 10oz on a postal scale for each tire, there's a few on Marlin that could just pull the 3 beam outta they're closet  :cool:   I put them in the tire, pried the bead back on, a little starting fluid and BAMMM !   I don't drive it much but I do drive it to the trail, and the closest legal area, Hollister, is 100 miles round trip.  Drives great at any speed and really good at 65-70.  SS 36x12.5 .

You're SX's are bias right? I think I put too few bb's when i did mine so I have a pretty good wobble. What tire pressure do you run on the street?

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #276 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
You're SX's are bias right? I think I put too few bb's when i did mine so I have a pretty good wobble. What tire pressure do you run on the street?

Nope they are "steel belted", I run about 28 pds, on the street.  SS are really hard at 32. 

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #277 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
Nope they are "steel belted", I run about 28 pds, on the street.  SS are really hard at 32. 

Huh, I always thought they were bias. Thanks for the info :thumbs:

red450r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
I've got a set of new 35x12.50 cooper stt's to mount, going by that chart at the beginning of this thread ill need 8oz of airsoft per tire. Since they aren't as aggressive should i try lees than 8oz at first?

4LoRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 680
  • Member since Dec '08
  • 109:1
    • View Profile
    • Loaded Defense
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #279 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »
id say just got with 8oz
Sas'd '86 4Runner, 22RE-T, 4.88s, Dual Stock T-Cases, Locked F/R, 35" MTR's.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=55751.0

Tankard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Chilkat Designs
« Reply #280 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
I love the metallic sound you get when you hit a bump or a back road bridge. And that whoosh sound you get at the stop light, awesome! :yupyup:
I run around 12 oz. BB's per 36" Irok with steel wheels and have been happy with it.
"Knowledge without experience is just information." -Mark Twain

moutaintoys

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 358
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
running 37 crawlers just got rid of those fn bbs & death wobble never again.
Lets go break somethin "GO NAVY"

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
I went to our local tire shop that just got bought out and the new guy wouldn't even consider balancing my 35" radials because they were "HUGE" and "to big for his equipment". The last guys that had this shop balanced these tires once or twice over the years and they balance big rig stuff all day long so I was kind of irritated.  I had some lead shot in my garage and put in 8 oz per tire and they run perfect!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Bringing this back from the dead.

Wondering about throwing some bb's into some 37-12.5-15 mtr's that are already shop balanced to fine tune it.

How would the addition of the bb's with the static weights affect the needed weight of the bb's? Need to add more or less?

I read earlier in this thread not to run both mechanical weights and bb's but not really sure why.

Also, someone asked about the state of the plastic airsoft bb's after popping the bead back on using a match and starting fluid. Wondering if someone can post up results of that. Wondering if you end up with a clump of melted plastic rattling around inside the tire.
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/

amm9130

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »
I was wondering what BBs would work the best, or if the glass beads work better? I have a set of 37-14-15 iroks that need this done. From the chart it says my tires need 8oz to work, is this right?
1994 Pickup DLX 22re 5speed 7 in lift 37 in iroks