Author Topic: '77 Corolla liftback rally car/autocross/hillclimb/Tough Truck project  (Read 8508 times)

te51levin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
I don't expect this will appeal to many people here, but if someone wants to build a Tough Truck car or go play in the dunes, this might work.  I haven't touched it in a while and I need the space it's occupying more than I need the car.

http://public.fotki.com/te51levin/my-te51-corolla-liftback/

It's a 1977 Corolla Liftback (TE51 chassis code). This was supposed to be the mother of all projects, but it has been gathering more dust than it should lately, so I'd like to sell it to make room for other projects. I'd prefer to sell it as a rolling chassis without engine or transmission; the engine is a very special 2T-G that has a lot of love in it. I could sell the engine as well, but I am not going to give it away just to make room.

Bear in mind this is a project, and many of the items listed below are not currently installed. Some assembly is required. This would make someone a great autocross, hillclimb, challenge, or rallycross car. Or you could raise the suspension and go play Tough Truck with it...your call.  I just want to do something else for a while.

The car is located near Eugene, Oregon. It has a clean California title in my name and has been on a non-op certificate for several years, so no back fees will be due.

1977 Toyota Corolla liftback
NO RUST ANYWHERE, no accident damage that I know of, some minor dings
2"x.120" rollcage from strut towers to rear leaf spring perches, tied to roof etc
Door panels good, most interior parts present, dash pad cracked (but good pad located)
All glass but windshield good, good windshield and rubber located
Rear leaf springs dearched 2", extra leaf added
Energy Suspension poly control arm & strut rod bushings
Addco 1" front & 3/4" rear anti-roll bars
'83 Celica front struts and brakes + RX-7 FC Turbo calipers
New Tokico Illumina inserts in struts
'79 Cressida control arms, modified for adjustable length
'84 Mazda RX-7 GSL rear axle, 3.91:1 ratio w/LSD, redrilled to 4x114.3 PCD
New '85 Supra/ Celica GT-S rear rotors
RX-7 FC Turbo rear calipers
Driveshaft modified for Mazda axle & W-series (Celica, pickup) transmission
Transmission crossmember modified for W-series tranny

Price is negotiable depending on how much of the car the buyer wants. I'd sell the bare shell for as little as $300, or more if the buyer wants more of the goodies listed above...rolling chassis with Mazda axle and Celica/Cressida front suspension $550; rolling chassis with all four 15x8 Revolution wheels, all sway bars, braided brake lines, etc etc (everything but engine & trans) around $1300 or comparable trade.

I'm willing to discuss trades, mostly for Toyota stuff. My daily driver is an '85 MR2 that could use a little help - some Illuminas or Konis, a nice set of alloy wheels, etc. The project replacing the Corolla will be an old Toyota 4x4 pickup, so that's another option - parts or a project truck would make a good trade.

Email me if you're interested. Hopefully someone here can make use of this.

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:worthless:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
...thanks...I haven't figured out how to post pics within the thread yet, or maybe it's not enabled until a certain post count.  At any rate, that's why I put that link right up at the top.

OK, guys.  If this car doesn't find a home, I don't get a truck.  If I don't get a truck, I will not be as cool as kneedownnate...and that's been bugging me.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
What engine did that thing come stock with/did you have to change the frame mounts for the 2T-G?  Forgive me, but I know little/nothing of older Toyota cars.  God, like I have room for it, anyway :hammerhead:

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Nope, didn't have to change anything.  The car was sold new with a 2T-C, and somewhere along the way that got replaced with a Japanese import 13T, but T-series engines all mount the same.  The blocks are all basically identical.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
If I had the money and room I'd pick that thing up in a heartbeat... I :love: the oldskool Japanese cars!
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Trade Count: (-2)
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Good luck with the sale,that thing is sweet!!!.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Old Time Gospel Thread Revival Time.  Friends...neighbors...brothers and sisters...gather round and get saved from automotive sameness!  Feel the sweet power of the almighty Corolla absolving your sins...let the light and truth of this Holy Vee-hickle touch your mortal soul.  Reach deep into your heart and make room in your garage for this broken angel, and with its transfer of title and ownership unto you, I shall include, at no extra charge, a complimentary copy of mah newest book, Saving Your Marriage When The Wife Hates Your Cars.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
hmmm...W55, hybrid 20/22, weber....time for race season!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Here is a bump for ya....that car is awesome. if i had the time/money i would come get that in a heartbeat. i love old school corollas.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Here is a bump for ya....that car is awesome. if i had the time/money i would come get that in a heartbeat. i love old school corollas.

Well, I wish someone in my area felt the same way.  Seems there's lots of love for it in this world, but nobody nearby has any interest.  I reposted on Craigslist with more details about the car and the engine.  The link is http://eugene.craigslist.org/car/276625488.html if anyone's interested in checking that stuff out.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Yeah, ive got to stop looking at this thread because its making me all sad inside. I want that corolla so bad :P
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Im not intrested in the car but I have lots of 85-89 toy mr2 parts around my house Im wanting hauled off if your intrested let me know. mr2s used to be part of my life but several tickets and 30 days in jail later I wont even ride in one. the cops in my town hate them, propbly cause me and like 5 of my friends had them when we were teenagers and its more than likely our faults but yeah. Good luck on selling the car.

hemiyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Do you still have the car?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
One last bump.  I have an opportunity to replace the car with a different Corolla but it won't happen until I find a home for this thing.  Any interested parties in the Pacific Northwest area?