Author Topic: makina hole in bellhousing  (Read 1284 times)

wildchild1066

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '05
  • i like cold bud and deep mud
    • View Profile
makina hole in bellhousing
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:50:44 PM »
what i want to do is take a hole saw and drill a 2 inch round hole in the bottom of the bell housing so i can shoot water in at the presuser plate . the reason why is with the diaphragm type pressure plate where the fingers connect will get mud in there and not let the fingers expand back to the point 0f full release for full clamping pressure . any thoughts ? is this going to make the bell housing to have a stress point where it would crack ? opinions please or soloutions that have worked .
UNLEASHED IN THE EAST

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: makina hole in bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
I would think that a better option would be to seal up the bellhousing instead?  I know on my 3.0 with the R150, I've run a bead of permatex all the way around the belhousing, and then there is a plate on the bottom that covers up the plate at the bottom, I've permatexed that, and I don't get any moisture and certainly no debris inside :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:48:47 PM »
I'd agree that sealing it up would be the best option. If you couldn't do that, then I think a 2" hole wouldn't cause a problem strength wise but I would make every effort to close it/plug it when you are wheelin.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »
dont know for sure what you mean by diaphram type, but, if that means that it is internal junk, and that you dont even have a clutch for going through there, seal it up good.....shoot, seal it all up....then drill a pinhole.....fill it full of argon gas, then seal that hole......then it should be a clean room.....j/k about that part.....but I would just seal it up
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »
stop playin in mud, and drive on more rocks, j/k

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:24:55 PM »
shooting water in there is going to wreak havoc on your throwout bearing. and rust setting on your pilot bearing, and clutch pressure plate and flywheel when sitting. you will have too many problems by doing this. just pull the trans, clean the stuff out, and make sure you put a boot on the clutch fork.

wildchild1066 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
  • i like cold bud and deep mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
shooting water in there is going to wreak havoc on your throwout bearing. and rust setting on your pilot bearing, and clutch pressure plate and flywheel when sitting. you will have too many problems by doing this. just pull the trans, clean the stuff out, and make sure you put a boot on the clutch fork.
i do have the fork boot on . but we play in 2 to 4 foot of mud and water . and with all yota in a zuki theres not alot of room to pull the tranny so i pull the motor .and to be clear on the clutch i run a 1600 ceramic .
UNLEASHED IN THE EAST

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
I have had the same problem with my Nissan and sealed the living hell out of the bell housing. Never had another problem except the clutch can't breath and it tends to get hot.

You could put breathers on the bell housing so air can pass through it to keep it cool. If water gets in it won't hurt unless the mud gets in too.

You will want to figure out a way to grease the throwout bearing after it has been wet.

I made up a custom throwout bearing holder that had a brake hose going to a fitting in the bell housing so I could hit it with a grease gun.

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0